I want to exchange baht to US dollar bills, why is 20$ bills cheaper to buy ?

I'm planning a vacation to the US and want to bring a few thousand dollars with me.

The exchange rate us slightly better for $20 bills than $100 bills so why is that ?

So maybe better to buy a lot of 20 dollar notes ?

Sure, if they are cheaper, why not. People do not want the lower denominations as much probably because they are harder to transport, that is why they are cheaper to buy. If you wanted to maximize you could buy a few thousand 1 dollar bills :) It probably wont save you enough to go through the trouble of buying 20's though, so just buy the 100's.

rolleyes.gif In Thailand it is better to exchange $100 bills because the exchange rate for them is slightly better than for $ 20 dollar bills,

The justification the Thai banks use for having a lower exchange rate for $ 20 bills is that they are more work to count and process ..... therefore you get a lower exchange rate for a $ 20bill than a $ 100 dollar bill.

You will the U.S. banks not as happy to take your $ 20 dills for the same reason ...... it causes them more work to process.

Almost misunderstood the thread...

Yes, you pay slighty more Thai Baht for 100 and 50 USD notes than for 20 USD notes.

Today at Superrich:

for 100 / 50 USD note 32.45

for 20 USD note 32.35, so 10 Satang cheaper (better in this case).

Not sure why, maybe this way they earn some of the extra rate back for USD to THB exchange where 50/100 USD notes give you a better Baht rate.

But anyway: in the US cash is unpopular anyway and 100 USD notes will probably earn you a call of the manager.

So better stick to 20 USD notes and take just the necessary amount with you.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Sure, if they are cheaper, why not. People do not want the lower denominations as much probably because they are harder to transport, that is why they are cheaper to buy. If you wanted to maximize you could buy a few thousand 1 dollar bills smile.png It probably wont save you enough to go through the trouble of buying 20's though, so just buy the 100's.

That sounds reasonable and makes sense. Supply/demand control the price.

Yes, you pay slighty more Thai Baht for 100 and 50 USD notes than for 20 USD notes.

Today at Superrich:

Not sure why, maybe this way they earn some of the extra rate back for USD to THB exchange where 50/100 USD notes give you a better Baht rate.

But anyway: in the US cash is unpopular anyway and 100 USD notes will probably earn you a call of the manager.

I think cash is going to come back into style soon.

Today at Superrich:

It went out of style?

Today at Superrich:

It went out of style?

You really question this? Try to pay cash for everything and tell me the first time you run into problems, it will be very soon. Order something and just say "can I show up to your payment center and hand you cash?" and see how far you get. The truth is, people don't know all the places they can't use cash, because they never have tried. Thailand is more cash oriented of course, which is nice I think.

I was all cash a while back, I remember the landlord would not even take my money when I tried to pay cash. He literally would not take it. Cash has been slowly going out of style since credit cards came into play. Sad but true. I like cash and I will try to revive it smile.png

Edited by isawasnake