Samsung galaxy Note 4

First week out in the real world. After a day of heavy use, I still have above 50% of charge.

This super phone is amazing.

Good news. So some improvement from your first post. And it's running cooler?

"Went out today to workout so I put the 100% charged Note 4 and my wallet into a pouch. I thought that the pouch was getting a little warm. After an hour in the gym, I went to 7/11 and when I took my wallet out of the pouch, it was very warm; the phone was even warmer. The charge went down to 85% just after an hour."

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my hands on a Note4 in a shop today which has a more chiseled look about it compared to my old Note 2, and compared to my Note 2 it feels crap in my hands due to the sharp metal frame edges.

I suppose once its in a case of some sort it will feel more friendly in the hand. Looked nice nevertheless, but wasn't tempted to buy one as there's nothing wrong with the phone I have.

I got my hands on a Note4 in a shop today which has a more chiseled look about it compared to my old Note 2, and compared to my Note 2 it feels crap in my hands due to the sharp metal frame edges.

I suppose once its in a case of some sort it will feel more friendly in the hand. Looked nice nevertheless, but wasn't tempted to buy one as there's nothing wrong with the phone I have.

My gf said exactly the same asy you.

Scary

I bought this phone and I really admire its design. I bought the flip/book cover and it felt too bulky and old. Sucks that I could not even see the shiny edges and it really liked like a phone for a really old man. I took the cover off and for a day, I enjoyed its design. Loved how it looked but I got paranoid after seeing a student's Note 2 that broke aftet falling with the cover on.

First week out in the real world. After a day of heavy use, I still have above 50% of charge.

This super phone is amazing.

Good news. So some improvement from your first post. And it's running cooler?

"Went out today to workout so I put the 100% charged Note 4 and my wallet into a pouch. I thought that the pouch was getting a little warm. After an hour in the gym, I went to 7/11 and when I took my wallet out of the pouch, it was very warm; the phone was even warmer. The charge went down to 85% just after an hour."

That has never happened again. The initial problem might be the cover not closing properly and turning the screen on. I have been using this for 2 weeks now I have never had any issues with the battery. After a heavy day of usage, I still have around 50% before I plug it in.

One thing has to be said about this is how fast it charges!

Just a quick update: I will have to say the GPS on my is horrible. Maps is fine as usual, however, if I go under any bridge in the city it completely loses track. On my S5 it happened maybe one time in a bad rain storm under the big bridges by Bangkok Hospital. Every time I have used the GPS on the Note 4 it will fall off at least 4 or 5 times on every use. I will have to get a real GPS for my car now.

however, if I go under any bridge in the city it completely loses track.

That's how GPS is supposed to work, it requires a line of sight to the satellites in space, so a bridge would block that and device would turn to some interpolated method depending on software configuration.

Yes I understand thats how it works. I found it strange that my S5 very rarely had the problem. For example, the trip to my house in Pak Kret to Bangkok Hospital. My S5 never lost signal at any part of the trip, the Note4 starts to lose it on the ramp to the Express way from Cheang Wattana....it also seems to dump the signal if I'm in one spot for too long from traffic. From my house to Siriraj, I lost the signal at least a dozen times.

The other weird thing is that the Note4 will offer the faster route option way more often than my S5. I have tried the faster route a few times and during my change, it asks if I want to go the faster route having me turn around and go back to my original route......makes me nuts.

however, if I go under any bridge in the city it completely loses track.

That's how GPS is supposed to work, it requires a line of sight to the satellites in space, so a bridge would block that and device would turn to some interpolated method depending on software configuration.

Yes I understand thats how it works. I found it strange that my S5 very rarely had the problem. For example, the trip to my house in Pak Kret to Bangkok Hospital. My S5 never lost signal at any part of the trip, the Note4 starts to lose it on the ramp to the Express way from Cheang Wattana....it also seems to dump the signal if I'm in one spot for too long from traffic. From my house to Siriraj, I lost the signal at least a dozen times.

The other weird thing is that the Note4 will offer the faster route option way more often than my S5. I have tried the faster route a few times and during my change, it asks if I want to go the faster route having me turn around and go back to my original route......makes me nuts.

It can be a bit hit or miss with a mobile phone GPS in a car as the GPS signal is extremely weak leaving the receiver more vulnerable to noise. I recall with my Note 2 it just would rarely get a fix in a certain car I used for work due to some local radio interference near the front of the car, but it worked great away from the car. I had to tether a blue tooth GPS antenna to the phone with the antenna located at a less noisy location on the vehicle.

As for the faster routes, depends on what software you are standardizing on I would guess? Perhaps you are talking about Google Maps? I have come to prefer Sygic on a Note 2 in Bangkok but YMMV.

Edited by Digitalbanana

Apart from all the ponsy stuff about the phone what about the call quality surely this is the most important thing about owning a phone? ( the best vocal audio system ever was on the older blackberry phones! )

F.J

I have had my Note 4 for 2 weeks now. Call quality is excellent compared to other phones I have had.

I absolutely love my new Note 4. :)

Apart from all the ponsy stuff about the phone what about the call quality surely this is the most important thing about owning a phone? ( the best vocal audio system ever was on the older blackberry phones! )

F.J

Things have moved on a bit since the Nokia Symbian phones. Most people now don't talk but message.

F.J

Things have moved on a bit since the Nokia Symbian phones. Most people now don't talk but message.

Yes it's a strange world we live in now.I live in Thai accomodation (2000 baht a month but fully loaded with extras..) Everybody who lives here is Thai and myself! But nobody speaks to each other -not even " hello " they just seem to pass by each other like " ships in the night " but they all seem to be rather busy on there smart phones.....

Hmmmm

• 4 weeks later...

Gave in on waiting for the Edge and bought a Note 4. It's pretty awesome.

Picked up a flip cover delivered for 585 baht

They have quite a few designs

585 baht sounds like an " awesome " price for just a case! I am sure that you can find the same cases in most of the Thai markets for under 100 baht!

F.J ( feeling awesome .... ) wub.png

585 baht sounds like an " awesome " price for just a case! I am sure that you can find the same cases in most of the Thai markets for under 100 baht!

Nope China Town and have to buy 12 at 500 baht. No singles under 800 but early days for accessories yet. Official flip case around 1,800 from Samsung

If you have just bought a 25,000 baht phone i think it's worth buying a case for more than 100 baht.

If you look at the Lazada deals you can get one for just over 20,000.

re

Box, cables, and receipt!!!!

Where's the phone!!!

here ya go .... note 3 left ... 4 right

they put a free mat screensaver film over it which seems to have dulled down the brightness ... so ill probably change that

and they copied all my staff to the 4 but im not sure i want to move my sim or sd card over yet ... as im in no hurry !

dave2

If you are using a SanDisk SD card, read my thread on the subject before you even think of inserting it.

If you want a rugged case and a huge battery, it's available this month. Makes the phone much fatter and heavier but I don't have the phone as a fashion accessory and battery life is the most important factor for me - it also does a bang up job of protecting the phone should you drop it.

http://www.amazon.com/Warranty-Zerolemon-10000mah-Extended-Protection/dp/B00Q7C6FTA

• 4 weeks later...

Just a word of warning about those who are using the fast charger that comes with the Note 4.

Mine broke...

I used it to power up a tiny pair of USB-powered speakers. After a few days, the phone started beeping like crazy while it was charging. I didn't bother to look thinking it was just an email or an app notification.

Checked it a few minutes later to find out that that phone wasn't charging at all. The charger just stopped working.

I took it back to Samsung and they gave me a new one after a 2-week wait.

Good thing it was still under warranty.

• 1 year later...

Is it better then the Nokia 3210?

Not for the expat holdouts who get hysterical at the thought of letting go of their dumb phones, though a few have been recently tempted to get the 'free' AIS exchange for a a cheap crappy smartphone which unfortunately leaves them more miserable than ever. Actually buying a Note 4 is not a bad idea and gets one an older flagship model at a much cheaper price. Once the Note 6 is out, the Note 4 should be on sale for about 15000 baht?

'

Edited by SheungWan