Aussie Partner Processing Wait times

14 hours ago, simple1 said:

From my experience & knowing a number of Thai females in Oz, they all prefer to live in Oz & visit families in Thailand say once a year.

That wouldn't be any problem. I'll be happy to visit from our home town Darwin, NT as often as we feel like it, The flight from Darwin to Singapore takes 4 hours and SIN to BKK 2 hours. The flight schedules haven't changed for the last couple of years, We leave DWN at 6am and get to BKK at 2.30pm BKK time. We have never paid more than 40K THB for 2 return tickets with Jetstar or only 30K THB with only cabin luggage. The trick is to find the days with the cheapest flights on their website. Having said that, we better wait for the partner visa to get approved before making too many plans for the future.

Edited by Northpoint

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get a police clearance certificate for my partner from the Australian Federal Police. I posted a paper application form and the required documents on 6.Feb with EMS and it arrived in Canberra on 9.Feb. I sent an email to AFP about its progress yesterday. I got a reply from AFP this morning that it will be sent  by mail tomorrow 2.March to my nominated address. Kudos to the AFP. They are very efficient.

• Like 1

In contrast to Northpoint's very efficient AFP police clearance, my wife and I applied for our Thai Police clearances on 23rd February. Our receipts state that we can collect it on MAY 7th. That is about 6 weeks away!!!! Also, we both had our fingerprints scanned and printed off in our Province upcountry (according to the Thai police requirements for me, but for my wife just in case....) but when we handed them over in BKK we BOTH had to do the printed ink style set of fingeerprints. DON'T bother getting fingerprints taken from the police centre in your province. They won't accept them.

Edited by Dodgydownunder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

In contrast to Northpoint's very efficient AFP police clearance, my wife and I applied for our Thai Police clearances on 23rd February. Our receipts state that we can collect it on MAY 7th. That is about 6 weeks away!!!! Also, we both had our fingerprints scanned and printed off in our Province upcountry (according to the Thai police requirements for me, but for my wife just in case....) but when we handed them over in BKK we BOTH had to do the printed ink style set of fingeerprints. DON'T bother getting fingerprints taken from the police centre in your province. They won't accept them.

Dodgydownunder, My wife was not required to have fingerprints taken at all. I think it may depend on the officer you get on the day in Bangkok. We just gave them the required documuments, copy Thai passport, Thai I.D card, Tabien Baan, change of name certificate, etc. We were then told we would have to wait 30 days before we could pick up the police check certificate. We then asked if it could be done sooner. We were able to pick up the certificate for an additional fee after 15 days.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

You can even get it in 3 or 4 days at RTP HQ in BKK if you pay an additional additional fee ...

We paid the additional fee for faster processing and I was happy with the 15 days wait, as we were still waiting to get the Australian Police check for the wife processed. She had to do an AFP check as she had previously spent more than a total of 12 months in Australia on tourist visas. These 12 months are calculated cumulatively and need not be consecutive. I wonder if her time already spent in Australia will count towards her 309 visa and shorten the waiting time for the 100 visa.

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the additional fee for a faster processing time. Too late now. Have flown back home upcountry now. I made a mistake with the date I gave you. It's April 7th instead of May 7th. Still 6 weeks waiting time though. Maybe I can do it from here via post. We have at least another 5 months wait before we can export our cats via Malaysia anyway, so I'm not fussed. Sorry i can't just quote you guys but since the site was updated last year I get a crazy screen with everything down the LH side and no Quote option. Reply box is tiny (about 1 cm wide and 3 or 4 cm long.)

• Like 1

I don't think the time your wife has spent in Australia on tourist visas would count towards the 309/100 partner visa Northpoint, unfortunately. I think the clock starts ticking once you've submitted the partner visa application and (incredibly expensive) application fee.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

guys not eaxactly the correct topic but you guys will be able to answer

One of the requirements for partner visa

You must be in a genuine and ongoing relationship. You must live with your partner or, if you do not, any separation must be only temporary.

Our situation is not dissimilar to many on here we met nearly two years ago and i have been supporting her for 17 months,  and in that 17 months we have spent approx   1 year together 3 tourist visa plus me going to see her twice.

I deem we are in a defacto relationship, she has mail that comes to my address etc , however is our separation temporary?  we are together 3 months here in Australia , 3 months apart with 2 weeks me in Cambodia with her

Based on the guys who have gone through it, do you think we qualify as being in a defacto relationship and living together (temporary separations)

or should i just bite the bullet and get married

• Like 1

On 13/03/2017 at 11:10 AM, Gopro said:

You don't need to live together to be defacto, however it's arguable. If you live in a state where you can register the relationship then the 1 year rule does not apply. I'd say your defacto.

I'm quoting from the Partner Migration booklet, which I got from VFS about 4 years ago. I don't know if there is a later updated version.

The 12-month relationship requirement at the time of application lodgement does not apply if:

1. not applicable for nus01

2. not applicaple for nus01

3. at the time of application for the visa the de facto relationship was registered under the law of a state or territory prescribed in the Acts Interpretation (Registered Relationship) Regulation 2008 as a kind of relationship prescribed in those regulations.

I hope this helps.

You can register the relationship anytime before decision is made. You have to check what state you live in. QLD and VIC ok. SA does not do this. Check with your local births deaths and marriages to register.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2017 at 4:19 PM, Northpoint said:

I'm quoting from the Partner Migration booklet, which I got from VFS about 4 years ago. I don't know if there is a later updated version.

The 12-month relationship requirement at the time of application lodgement does not apply if:

1. not applicable for nus01

2. not applicaple for nus01

3. at the time of application for the visa the de facto relationship was registered under the law of a state or territory prescribed in the Acts Interpretation (Registered Relationship) Regulation 2008 as a kind of relationship prescribed in those regulations.

I hope this helps.

For those wanting access to the latest version of the Partner Booklet go to:

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Documents/1127.pdf

• Like 1

That is a very fast decision Northpoint. Congratulations. We lodged ours a month before you and just got the okay to do health and police checks. Sounds like they give you 6 months to enter Australia after the visa is granted.

Edited by Dodgydownunder
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 8:57 AM, mfd101 said:

You can do the AFP check entirely by email, as I recall. First time, it takes a couple of weeks; quicker thereafter. The details on how to do it should be in your papers or on the relevant website. The checks are done from Perth.

Mine took 28 days, they said it would take between 21-35 days.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:23 AM, mfd101 said:

You can even get it in 3 or 4 days at RTP HQ in BKK if you pay an additional additional fee ...

Can you give us a hint in how much? or private message me...lol. Heading to do it from Chiang Mai in a few days. Cheers. 

DN

On 19/03/2017 at 10:13 AM, Dodgydownunder said:

That is a very fast decision Northpoint. Congratulations. We lodged ours a month before you and just got the okay to do health and police checks. Sounds like they give you 6 months to enter Australia after the visa is granted.

Thanks Dodgydownunder. We won't wait 6 months before leaving. Our suitcases are packed and we are booked to fly next week. I hope all goes well with your application. I'm sure it will. Cheers mate.

14 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Good luck to you both (in Darwin?)

Thanks. Yes, Darwin, NT. I have lived and worked there for most of my life. The climate is the same as here in Pattaya with reverse seasons. I like the warm weather and the missus wouldn't be able to handle a cold winter in the Southern states.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northpoint said:

Thanks. Yes, Darwin, NT. I have lived and worked there for most of my life. The climate is the same as here in Pattaya with reverse seasons. I like the warm weather and the missus wouldn't be able to handle a cold winter in the Southern states.

I'm sure you've told her to not take a dip in the local river!

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2017 at 4:09 PM, Dodgydownunder said:

I'm sure you've told her to not take a dip in the local river!

Cheers.

The beaches are fairly safe, but don't go swimming in rivers, creeks or billabongs.

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Is that Sweetheart at the Adelaide river, Northpoint?  Cheers.

That is Brutus, who rules that section of the Adelaide River. Sweatheart had to be culled many years ago on the Daly River, after attacking numerous fishing boats. Sweatheart is now on display in a museum in Darwin. It looks like it's still alive. The taxidermist did a great job.

IMG_0402.JPG