Aussie Partner Processing Wait times

Hi guys,

Just got visa granted after 9 months and 1 day. Applied in Bangkok for (309) and (100) in March and the Permanent, (100) was granted straight away. Didn't have to wait 2 years. There is no requirement to be out of the Australia for the (100) to be granted, so the missus could've come over months ago on a Tourist Visa and just stayed herefacepalm.gif

At least my year will have a happy ending biggrin.png

Great news seabass.

One small question though.

Just how did you apply for both Visas simultaneously?

I've heard of them, on rare occassions being granted simultaneously ... but never applied for simultaneously.

So, importantly ... Just how did you apply for both Visas simultaneously?

When you lodge the application for Partner Visa, subclass (309) and (100), you are actually applying for 2 visas at the same time. The (309) is temporary and "gets you in the door". After 2 years of the lodgement date, the department will make a decision about the (100) permanent visa, without a new application having to be made.

The baby will be born in Australia as my wife is here on. A 12 month tourist visa .

Yes I know no Medicare and all that but we are covered don't worry .

But does that help with us not needing the 2 year wait for the (100) visa

I'm pretty sure that the condition of having a dependent child would have to be met at the time the application is made, not when the visa is granted. But I'm not 100% sure.

I'm back, the beach was great....lol

David.. when you fill in the form or get it filled for you, then on the form you are asked for which visa you are applying for (309/100 and 809/100) are sets to the same goal. If you qualify for the 100 you would be granted it straight up, if you do not then you would get a TR 309/809. And that would be able to be 'upgraded' to the 100 when your time is up (2yrs). All of us have applied for both at the same time, which one is granted as I said depends on your personal circumstances.

To GoPro and Seabass , my belated congratulations. Mrs Samurai and I are packed and leaving on the 27th Dec., so only a few more days to go. Let the rest of the fun and games begin.

Oz

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The baby will be born in Australia as my wife is here on. A 12 month tourist visa .

I'm pretty sure that the condition of having a dependent child would have to be met at the time the application is made, not when the visa is granted. But I'm not 100% sure.

I would suggest not. The straight trip to 100 usually comes from a long term relationship status AND kids. You will most likely go to a TR 309 or 809, then sit an interview at a later stage (2yrs from application) to then be granted a 100 PR. Your baby will of course have an Australian Birth Certificate, which just means you don't have to worry about getting it translated, that's about it.

Oz

edit: The 2year period, if you minus the visa processing time is only just over a year anyway, in that time only 2 things are different from TR holders to PR holders, that is that PR holders get a Green Medicare Card, and MAY be eligible for some social security benefits straight away. The TR will get a BLUE Medicare Card, and is unable to claim benefit until their TR has been upgraded to PR 100, however if severe financial hardship is present, they also become eligible under 3 schemes for migrant assistance.

The road to the NEXT STEP (Australian Citizenship) for all holders of the PR 100 is 4 years holding a PR visa, then apply for citizenship ($200 odd) and then you are done! The PR does expire by the way, contrary to some peoples thoughts.

Edited by ozsamurai

I suppose "Expire" is a harsh term. The PR doesn't expire, as such. What expires is the ability to re-enter Aus on that visa. The RRV (Resident Return Visa (re-entry Permit) provides permission to return and take up residence. Your right to live here permanently remains, its just a case of getting permission to come back once you've left.

discussion on another forum http://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/what-situation-after-pr-100-visa-runs-out-after-5-yrs-794279/

Citizenship:

If you don't spend a total of 4 years living in Australia including the 12 months immediately prior to applying for citizenship you are not eligible for Oz Citizenship, after 5 years on the PR100 you will need to get an RRV. That is a whole new subclass, and fee.... smile.png You can travel 'Visa Free' (ie no RRV) as much as you like for 5 years, after which you will need an RRV to come back in.

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai
  • Like 1

fress ... has your wife got a multi-entry 12 month visa ... meaning she has to leave every 3 months?

I read the story of occasionally a 6 month, single entry Visa being granted, but never heard of a 12 month single entry being granted, though there is a facility for that to happen.

What Visa exactly does she have?

If she has the 'multi-entry 12 month visa' how do you plan to have her flying when she's heavily pregnant?

• Like 1

12 month multiple entry

So far I have called Immi 5 times spoken to five different people all of who have said yes she can come back into the country at 34 weeks she has a visa

But I will wait and see how that goes when we get there haha

There's no limit in Visa circumstance if your wife can fly pregnant or arrive in OZ, only your doctor and airline(due to risk) can decide this.

12 month multiple entry

So far I have called Immi 5 times spoken to five different people all of who have said yes she can come back into the country at 34 weeks she has a visa

fress ... just a heads up mate ...

I don't know who you are flying with, but note ...

From the Thai airlines website ...

After the 28th week of pregnancy, passengers must obtain a medical certificate of fitness to travel issued by their attending obstetrician, stating the number of weeks of pregnancy and estimated date of delivery. The medical certificate issued by the doctor must be issued no later than 7 days prior to departure, which must be carried with the expectant passenger when boarding the flight.

On flights more than 4 hours, expectant mothers may be permitted to travel up to the end of 34th week (for pregnancies with the date of delivery estimated at being 6 weeks or more)

So, say you time it perfectly, she flies in 6 weeks before the birth, the birth is at exactly 40 weeks ... her maximum stay is 12 weeks (3 months) so she must leave Australia 6 weeks after the birth.

Does the baby fly out with her ... do you get left with the baby?

The average cost of having a baby privately is roughly $10,000 if it's a push and there are no complications.

Have you thought this through?

Obviously plans change but this is what we are hoping for

And with what doctors and Immi have said I don't see the problem with this

We clearly stated she was pregnant when we lodged the partner visa

They saw again she was pregnant at the medical examination

We again stated she was pregnant when we applied for a 3 month tourist visa at which point Immi called us and asked if we would like them to grant a 12 month multiple entry visa as we are waiting for the partner visa

That last bit blew my mind I never saw that coming .

So we have never tried to hide anything from immigration so I don't see why we should have any problems there

As far as costs for having the baby 3/4 months off work and hospital bills and the rest in thailand

Or continued work and have the baby here ..... If we can work it to have the baby here than I am more than happy to

Don't think I have made these decisions without a great deal of thought

Family consultation

Medical consultation

And consultation with Immi

• Like 2

Woody, If you understand it, your not far behind. I was doing a luba the last 2 weeks. Hold your breath and have faith.

I want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I hope it helps others and it continues to helps others. I know another applying this week.

I hear they plan on changing it to 18 months for wait times in the new year. Pay for more, get less.

Stay strong! Vote at your next ballot with thanks.

PS. I'm studying Migration law. This was a subject I enjoyed. I hope to be qualified by mid next year. I'm happy to help anywhere I can. I've learnt a lot from many and myself. Hit me with simple legal questions, but not trains of thoughts from the DIBP, as I don't understand them at all. :-) 555

Have a great Christmas, I got the best prezzy yet. I'll be around anytime.

Thanks Gents

Awesome and congrats on becoming a migration law expert!

We hope you stay with us and continue to donate advice :)

• Like 1

12 month multiple entry

There's no limit in Visa circumstance if your wife can fly pregnant or arrive in OZ, only your doctor and airline(due to risk) can decide this.

Exactly. The airline has the final say.

It's not the doctors problem at 40 thousand feet.

I remember our gp in Aus said no flying in the last trimester, and lets face it, she needs to be comfortable, not squashed in a plane seat.

No way Id let my wife travel that far heavily pregnant, perhaps if it was business class I might.

Fress if you want to know what it will cost for everything in Aus, except the delivery, pm me.

fress, you might want to look at a 8503 waiver (due to giving birth) Every chance it may work for you. I.e you already applied offshore for your partner visa, staying in oz due to birth, she may get the waiver, and possibly apply onshore for something else like a tourist, so she only has to leave when they are about to grant. A curly one, best explored with a qualified person.

fress, you might want to look at a 8503 waiver (due to giving birth) Every chance it may work for you. I.e you already applied offshore for your partner visa, staying in oz due to birth, she may get the waiver, and possibly apply onshore for something else like a tourist, so she only has to leave when they are about to grant. A curly one, best explored with a qualified person.

I seriously doubt a waiver would be granted due to a pregnancy, especially when

she has a 12 month ME visa as it is.

• Like 1