Broad casting of seeds- alost art?

cooked

I despair when I see how farmers sow their rice fields here, they just chuck em down as though they were trying to kill a rat with a stone. I sowed acres of lawns by hand, the machine I bought for the purpose stayed in the cellar after the first year. I would walk one way, swiping the stuff out left and right, covering 3 to 4 metres width every time, and come back with the second half at right angles, I rarely had problems with bare patches. Anybody else done this? I tried to look on Youtube, I didn't find anything like what I am trying to describe.

I showed the son in law and from his reaction I decided to go have a beer although I couldn't see any difference apart from me doing three times the surface he was doing in the same time.

• Like 1

Sowing seed or spreading fertilizer by hand are both similar (or even spraying chemical ). I was taught to do it in a figure 8 patern whist keeping a steady walk., not too fast, not too slow. After doing it a few times you just know how to do it and what pace it should be. Originally i was told to use a string line but i find sighting a bead on a object on one side of the patch will keep me straight. I have not done the right angled return but i acknowledge that it would be good . Using sand in the mix is a good idea for fine seed . Also doing your seeding on a still day is important . Mornings are generally best when there are minimal wind gusts or breeze.

just my two bobs worth.

• Like 1