Pickups Comparison: Triton/Vigo/Wildtrak/D-Max/Navara

Toyota cars and trucks are typically under powered and over priced, although reliable, I wouldn't drive a Ford even if someone gave me one for free (Found On Road Dead; Fix Or Repair Daily; Freaked Over Rebuilt Dodge).

I really enjoy my Nissan, I purchased an upgraded Nissan 4-door for less money than a base model Toyota. Plus the gear ratio gives more power to the wheels, so you don't need to spend money on a bigger engine in order to get the muscle you need. My friends are liking their Isuzu trucks. I drove a Triton for a week and it rode well, didn't have any problems with it.

What is this prejudice against Ford all about?

I grew up in Ohio (USA) which was known locally as GM country, and Fords were commonly despised.

At some point I realized this was hill-billy intellect. Ford has consistently made better quality vehicles

than GM, especially trucks. The Ford F-150 has been the U.S. best selling vehicle for many years.

In my experience, Ford trucks are the most durable and reliable truck you can buy, although a bit more

expensive here in Thailand.

I have driven Ford trucks for decades... Why? Because they are the best value in the US market... They still do not stand up when compared to Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi on a global scale where the playing field is level...

Being from the Rust Belt, you have to admit that US manufactured vehicles by the big 3 have been <deleted> for decades... Ford has turned it around, a bit, but GM and Chrysler are crap and will always be crap when compared to German or Japanese manufacturers...

On a global scale, if you trust Forbes and other top financial reporting media, the top 4 auto producing companies in the world are Toyota, VW, Daimler (Benz) and Ford. Of those top 4, only two produce passenger pickups in Thailand, Toyota and Ford. So, it's safe to assume at least those two trucks producers are doing something right as it's reflected in their financial statements. Poor companies are not profitable, and the truck divisions account for a lot of that. Toyota is the world's most profitable auto producer. Nissan and Mitsui are 2nd tier, but of course are excellent trucks too, as are Isuzu and Chevy and Mazda.

Edited by keemapoot

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a 6 speed manual mazda bt50 and cannot fault it except for a few rattles from 38000 km driven mostly on Issan roads. (Bought new oct 2013 so clocking up the Km's fast)

Newish ride with rattles..................coffee1.gif

My truck is near 7 years old and drives and sounds like new............thumbsup.gif

Build quality, design quality, so you don't have all these rattles.

But it is still just a Toyota.

Allowances have to made for the hard of hearing as age advances. All trucks rattle.

Got a 6 speed manual mazda bt50 and cannot fault it except for a few rattles from 38000 km driven mostly on Issan roads. (Bought new oct 2013 so clocking up the Km's fast)

Newish ride with rattles..................coffee1.gif

My truck is near 7 years old and drives and sounds like new............thumbsup.gif

Build quality, design quality, so you don't have all these rattles.

But it is still just a Toyota.

Allowances have to made for the hard of hearing as age advances. All trucks rattle.

Yes it is a Toyota and very glad it is, and my truck has no fatigue noises what soever, except the seat belt metal bit on plastic IF one doesn't straighten the belt out smile.png .

Never owned a Toyota in my life but on coming to LOS I knew I HAD to buy a Toyota truck for it's reliabiity.

My chum bought an Isuzu at about the same time, 2007, it rattles, mainly from inside the doors and there is a transmission whine. The internal lock mechanism to the tail gate fell apart, I fixed it.

He has sold it.........facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Agree with Transam about rattles & noises, our 3.0 DMAX is 10 years old now with well over 400,000K's on it. Still goes great however, the rear doors especially have a few rattles. I suppose I could take the door cards off and sort it out - but it hasn't got to the point where its annoying enough yet. Is is a truly great and reliable vehicle though no complaints.

Next one will probably be a Ford Ranger 3.2 or a BT50 3.2 leaning towards the Ford as far as aesthetics go. Right now I reckon these two are the best in class, however, I'm also very keen to see what Toyota comes up with.Their upcoming model (when it eventually gets released) could well be a game changer.

Not in a hurry so happy to wait and see.

Agree with Transam about rattles & noises, our 3.0 DMAX is 10 years old now with well over 400,000K's on it. Still goes great however, the rear doors especially have a few rattles. I suppose I could take the door cards off and sort it out - but it hasn't got to the point where its annoying enough yet. Is is a truly great and reliable vehicle though no complaints.

Next one will probably be a Ford Ranger 3.2 or a BT50 3.2 leaning towards the Ford as far as aesthetics go. Right now I reckon these two are the best in class, however, I'm also very keen to see what Toyota comes up with.Their upcoming model (when it eventually gets released) could well be a game changer.

Not in a hurry so happy to wait and see.

If I was able too I would without doubt buy the new Toyota truck when it appears.......thumbsup.gif

I don't want leather seats, cos the fabric used in my truck is very "heat" friendly, don't want any gizmo's, except perhaps reversing sensors, and l still want the beige interior..smile.png

My general recommandation don't buy a second hand car from a Thai, the most don't maintain their car well, some don't change oil and filters at all.

My general recommendation is: buy from a Thai. They take very well care of their cars and don't use race chips.

I think it much depends on how the truck (any truck) is maintained.

Examples of good and bad can be found on any road here on any brand.

Just last night as I was heading up the jammed Rama 9 bridge was a older Toyota Vigo beside me that even with my windows closed I could hear a nasty scraping sound coming from the rear end. Not brakes unless one was seized or the guy was dragging his ass-end with the emergency brake on? It was unloaded but the sound was metal on metal constant.

Toyota cars and trucks are typically under powered and over priced, although reliable, I wouldn't drive a Ford even if someone gave me one for free (Found On Road Dead; Fix Or Repair Daily; Freaked Over Rebuilt Dodge).

I really enjoy my Nissan, I purchased an upgraded Nissan 4-door for less money than a base model Toyota. Plus the gear ratio gives more power to the wheels, so you don't need to spend money on a bigger engine in order to get the muscle you need. My friends are liking their Isuzu trucks. I drove a Triton for a week and it rode well, didn't have any problems with it.

I would not drive a Ford for free at all.

Nissan and Toyota are good Isuzu are real trucks specially the old models almost everlasting they shares also minium 1 time the engine with Hilux only different horsepower showed in the papers.

I have a Fortuna & a Tritan. You can't beat the Toyota for build quality but for reasonable quality and value for money, it's the Tritan. Plus it handles well at speed, much less roll.

My experiens in my long life is in general. "you get what you pay for" in 99% of the cases.

My general recommandation don't buy a second hand car from a Thai, the most don't maintain their car well, some don't change oil and filters at all.

I agree, and I think that is why truck manufactures stick to basic well proven engineering in regard to engines and trans. This 5 pot that Ford now uses may in the future of the ride may be problematic if not taken care of. For instance, the oil pump possible problem, a problem that will knock out the big end and main bearings if a non agent services the thing with no oil pressure, stands there scratching his head and revving the nuts off it to get oil pressure. It will happen.

• Like 1

None of them have known issues with the AT.

The 3.2L Triton was discontinued in 2011 (replaced with a more powerful 2.5L), so has taken a depreciation hit. The 2.5L models still sell for reasonable prices (comparatively) when you take into account their actual new cost (Mitsu usually offer very good promotions)

My 2010 Mitsubishi Triton Plus 4-door has a 2.5-liter variable geometry (VGS) turbo with a rated

output of 178 HP. My fuel consumption (mostly urban driving) averages about 10 km/liter, which

works out to about 3.2 baht per km.

This truck is smooth, relatively quiet and reliable. I drove an Isuzu D-Max first, but I liked the feel

of the Mitsubishi. Acceleration is brisk, plenty of power even on mountain roads. Haven't found

anything about this vehicle I don't like, however trading up from a small car does require some

adjustment in parking strategy -- which means parking options are somewhat fewer.

The transmission, steering and brakes are flawless.

I drive a about 5 years old Toyota Hilux 3.0, 4WD, 163 Hp consumption 8 - 10 ltr/100km Diesel.

The new model 2011, 171 Hp same engine, but with good potential of engine tuning.

Chiptuning made in germany 218 Hp about 0,5 ltr./100km less consumption.

Standart torque 360nm after tuning 428nm there is then the power.

I grew up in Ohio (USA) which was known locally as GM country, and Fords were commonly despised.

At some point I realized this was hill-billy intellect. Ford has consistently made better quality vehicles

than GM, especially trucks. The Ford F-150 has been the U.S. best selling vehicle for many years.

In my experience, Ford trucks are the most durable and reliable truck you can buy, although a bit more

Ford F serie had recently several problem with some of the engines Cylinderhead problems.

I like the wildtrack 3.2L but the waiting list was horrendous so bought the top of the range fiesta instead so easier for the wife to park although still interested in a wildtrack for the future. Had a 3L toyota 2wd which I thought was very good and good on fuel unloaded. Know lots of people with Toyotas and Isuzu's and very happy with them.

Do you think the Wildtrak is a good car !!??? whistling.gif

They selling only like hell, caused of cheap financing 0 interest.

This ain't the USA, we do not get USA trucks here...........coffee1.gif

In Laos you getting Toyota Tacoma V8 petrol let convert it in a serious garage to LPG and there are power enough without to having high running costs.

I have driven Ford trucks for decades... Why? Because they are the best value in the US market... They still do not stand up when compared to Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi on a global scale where the playing field is level...

Being from the Rust Belt, you have to admit that US manufactured vehicles by the big 3 have been <deleted> for decades... Ford has turned it around, a bit, but GM and Chrysler are crap and will always be crap when compared to German or Japanese manufacturers...

On a global scale, if you trust Forbes and other top financial reporting media, the top 4 auto producing companies in the world are Toyota, VW, Daimler (Benz) and Ford. Of those top 4, only two produce passenger pickups in Thailand, Toyota and Ford. So, it's safe to assume at least those two trucks producers are doing something right as it's reflected in their financial statements. Poor companies are not profitable, and the truck divisions account for a lot of that. Toyota is the world's most profitable auto producer. Nissan and Mitsui are 2nd tier, but of course are excellent trucks too, as are Isuzu and Chevy and Mazda.

VW build his Amarok pickups in Argentina is a bad copy of Toyota Hilux almost the same rubbish as the Ford Wildtrak.

Can i know what is the cheapest truck and what is the most expensive now sold in Thailand ?

Thank you.

Yes use google and the price is not all about the models different province different prices, is the same in germany.

If you are going for 4WD it might be time to check the systems.

Until recently all the Thai pickups had the very basic clunk-in transfer box to the front with no locking diff or anything.

However in other countries they are available with central automatic differentials as on Pajero and Fortuners.......this could be a welcome improvement for those who spend time off-road.

I wouldn't recommend asking the sales staff as they are unlikely to know.

typical sequence of questions go like this.......

"is it auto or manual?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a front diff-lock?"

"Yes!"

"Does it have a double-re-entry valve?"

"Yes!"

"does it have 5 wheel drive?"

"Yes!"

"Is it diesel or gasoline?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a pool with dolphins in the back?"

"Yes!"

"Will you sleep with me if I buy one?"

"Yes!"

only one of those answers is correct...........

In Bangkok are some dealer like Sonimotors they are used to Export direct into to other countries.

Tell them for example you like to have a Toyota Hilux left hand drive EU specifications and you get it.

To be sure let wright it in the contract, some friends of me ordered there for germany before they left Thailand.

The company made all the procedure transportion etc. complete offer I never heard any complaints from my friends.

Can i know what is the cheapest truck and what is the most expensive now sold in Thailand ?

Thank you.

Tata

Nissan

Tata I saw a lot in Germany brand new from India full of rust already.

The quaility is ridiculous to buy this rubbish is like you throwing your money direct into the sea.

This is a typical expamlpe for: " You get what you pay for"

Thank you.

Tata

Nissan

Tata I saw a lot in Germany brand new from India full of rust already.

The quaility is ridiculous to buy this rubbish is like you throwing your money direct into the sea.

This is a typical expamlpe for: " You get what you pay for"

Rust-proofing in Thailand is not a major prerequisite. firstly they don't salt the roads.

• Like 1

If you are going for 4WD it might be time to check the systems.

Until recently all the Thai pickups had the very basic clunk-in transfer box to the front with no locking diff or anything.

However in other countries they are available with central automatic differentials as on Pajero and Fortuners.......this could be a welcome improvement for those who spend time off-road.

I wouldn't recommend asking the sales staff as they are unlikely to know.

typical sequence of questions go like this.......

"is it auto or manual?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a front diff-lock?"

"Yes!"

"Does it have a double-re-entry valve?"

"Yes!"

"does it have 5 wheel drive?"

"Yes!"

"Is it diesel or gasoline?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a pool with dolphins in the back?"

"Yes!"

"Will you sleep with me if I buy one?"

"Yes!"

only one of those answers is correct...........

In Bangkok are some dealer like Sonimotors they are used to Export direct into to other countries.

Tell them for example you like to have a Toyota Hilux left hand drive EU specifications and you get it.

To be sure let wright it in the contract, some friends of me ordered there for germany before they left Thailand.

The company made all the procedure transportion etc. complete offer I never heard any complaints from my friends.

I approached several companies to buy an Aussie spec pickup for use in Thailand.....eve though they are made only a few kilometres from where I live, i was told that to sell these vehicles in Thailand would be illegal as the government authorises the specifications of the vehicles that can be sold in Thailand for tax/protectionist purposes.

i have seen that the nissan navara is a relatively cheaper buy, followed by mitsubishi triton, d-max and so on.

is it due to the lack of popularity of the nissan?

i probably might just drive it for 1 or 2 years max and change again.

advisable to get a cheaper ride?

I only owned 1 truck in my whole life: My beloved 2.2 WT Ranger auto.

1.5 years old now, app 12k km on the clock, drove one time so fast on a flooded road that the water almost went over the hood, keept going for 10 min, no problems.

Can't coment on other trucks really as I haven't tried/owned them, buy the one you like the most, owners here will almost always praise their trucks, me included, lol.

The newer truck are more car like to drive I belive.

Check Australien truck tests/forums as they sell most of the same models/brands we can buy here so that is a good starting point.

I don't listen to the posters here on this forum anymore as most of them are "pocket" specialist so go elsewhere for better info.

I am surprised that this topic haven't turned into a pissing contest already??

Hee, hee, kept going for 10min 'cos the brakes were too wet to stop.

I only owned 1 truck in my whole life: My beloved 2.2 WT Ranger auto.

1.5 years old now, app 12k km on the clock, drove one time so fast on a flooded road that the water almost went over the hood, keept going for 10 min, no problems.

Can't coment on other trucks really as I haven't tried/owned them, buy the one you like the most, owners here will almost always praise their trucks, me included, lol.

The newer truck are more car like to drive I belive.

Check Australien truck tests/forums as they sell most of the same models/brands we can buy here so that is a good starting point.

I don't listen to the posters here on this forum anymore as most of them are "pocket" specialist so go elsewhere for better info.

I am surprised that this topic haven't turned into a pissing contest already??

Hee, hee, kept going for 10min 'cos the brakes were too wet to stop.

Noooo, he goes elsewhere to hear what he wants to hear.........rolleyes.gif ............coffee1.gif

i have seen that the nissan navara is a relatively cheaper buy, followed by mitsubishi triton, d-max and so on.

the Nissan is about to be replaced by a new model.

When released it was the most powerful on the market.....all the other manufacturers have since followed suit by topping the 174 hp with a couple of their own....they are also all dropping 3 litre 4s in favour of 2.5 hi-power diesels.

the Nisaan is (or rather was) dimensionally the largest of all the pick ups, but you wouldn't notice that in the back seats of the 4 door.

the Navara is still i believe still the top-selling pickup of it's class on the world market........ or is that Europe?

Edited by wilcopops

it's cheaper cause they are blowing out the old stock, new model next week on sale.

Could be the new Vigo..............whistling.gif

attachicon.gifvigo9.png

Just look at upgrades to the Toyota range in other countries (Tacoma etc) and you'll get pretty good idea of what the corporate-based styling of any new Vigo will be. Toyota started the "bulbous and higher" look, but then failed the moose test.....so it will be interesting to see the possible specs for a new model.

None of them have known issues with the AT.

The 3.2L Triton was discontinued in 2011 (replaced with a more powerful 2.5L), so has taken a depreciation hit. The 2.5L models still sell for reasonable prices (comparatively) when you take into account their actual new cost (Mitsu usually offer very good promotions)

Absolutely - the new 2.5s are often more powerful than the 3.2 Mitsu, which was a very old egine model.

Ford and Mazda offer a 3.2, I believe they are 5 cylinder diesels and extremely powerful....they also have a waiting list......

You will pay less yearly road tax on a 2.5 too.

The new Navara is out - but I haven't seen one in a showroom yet...you might get a good price on a run out model though.

The Mitsubishi 3.2L 4M41 engine is based on a newer design than the 2.5L 4D56. Both have had many upgrades and now have common rail fuel systems and twin cam 4 valve heads etc. The older 3.2L was slightly less powerful than the new version of the 2.5L but the difference is not great. The current more powerful version of the 3.2L continues in the real Pajero, (not the PJS).

There is nothing wrong with the 3.2L Triton, cheaper secondhand makes it a good buy. Unlike the newer engines, the old 3.2L had a conventional turbo (not variable geometry) and timing chain, good for long term reliability.