Pickups Comparison: Triton/Vigo/Wildtrak/D-Max/Navara

Have had 4 Isuzu's to date 3 in Thailand over 11 yrs and 1 in OZ now in its 5th yr. Never had a problem with any of them.

Servicing in Thailand is very cheap and 10 times more expensive in OZ. I have a V-Cross in Thailand at the moment, all of my vehicles have been 4X4 and Automatic's. When the time comes I will purchase a new Isuzu in Thailand.

However in Australia, in 2015. I have decided to trade in the Isuzu Ute and purchase a new 4cylinder turbo Ford Mustang hard top, which apparently is quicker off the mark than the V8 Mustang. Will really decide when they arrive and see what they have to offer.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bull Bar is detrimental to the Engine. So never follow a Truck. or VIP Bus, they are a bit bigger than a Bullbar What a pathetic load of puke.w00t.gif .

Only the non Ford Bullbars, if you fit the OE one then that is ok........

Yes a pathetic load of puke rolled out by Ford to dodge warrany claims.

• Like 1

Why do Ford with their might not refute BKK Posts comment in the M.G 6 Review that their Car has Gearbox Issues. Mazda did the right thing distancing themselves from them, as did Honda with the Isuzu Truck sold under the Honda name here years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT50 are, as others have posted, nigh on identical and both vehicles are highly rated. I know owners of both and all are extremely happy with them. Well worth a gander IMHO

Interesting, I read somewhere that the Mazda BT50 doesn't come with airbags and their dealer network isn't that comprehensive, plus parts are more expensive for Mazda than say Isuzu or Toyota is this true?

Any feedback on the BT50 in terms of reliability and quality of ride, issues? Is it one of the better trucks available - must say I'm not overkeen on the look!

The new Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT50 are, as others have posted, nigh on identical and both vehicles are highly rated. I know owners of both and all are extremely happy with them. Well worth a gander IMHO

Interesting, I read somewhere that the Mazda BT50 doesn't come with airbags and their dealer network isn't that comprehensive, plus parts are more expensive for Mazda than say Isuzu or Toyota is this true?

Any feedback on the BT50 in terms of reliability and quality of ride, issues? Is it one of the better trucks available - must say I'm not overkeen on the look!

top mazda has more airbags than any other truck here... I believe.

Mazda have dealerships everywhere. Do you go round with your eyes shut?

Mazda have dealerships everywhere. Do you go round with your eyes shut?

you would have to have good eyesight to see the one in Phetchabun province, its 110 km from our house.

Then get a Toyota if they have dealer only a stone's throw away.

• 1 month later...

Here is a comprehensive comparison of 7 double-cab 4X4 pickups which was done recently in Australia.

The pickups are all made in Thailand except the VW Amarok. Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 tied for first

place followed closely by Holden Colorado. Toyota Hilux was rated #6, Mitsubishi Triton last. Nissan Navara

for some reason missed out on the comparison (maybe wasn't available for testing).

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Triton double-cab 4X2 and very happy with it. I think all these trucks are of high

quality, but this in-depth comparison may help buyers choose a pickup that suits their individual tastes.

http://m.motoring.com.au/review/2014/dual-duel-4wd-dual-cab-ute-comparison-2014-45212

Edited by BradinAsia

Here is a comprehensive comparison of 7 double-cab 4X4 pickups which was done recently in Australia.

The pickups are all made in Thailand except the VW Amarok. Ford Ranger and Mazda BT-50 tied for first

place followed closely by Holden Colorado. Toyota Hilux was rated #6, Mitsubishi Triton last. Nissan Navara

for some reason missed out on the comparison (maybe wasn't available for testing).

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Triton double-cab 4X2 and very happy with it. I think all these trucks are of high

quality, but this in-depth comparison may help buyers choose a pickup that suits their individual tastes.

http://m.motoring.com.au/review/2014/dual-duel-4wd-dual-cab-ute-comparison-2014-45212

The pickups reviewed have features ( window and knee airbags for starters) that are not available on the Thai models so I don't know how you could make an informed decision from this.

• Like 2

The pickups reviewed have features ( window and knee airbags for starters) that are not available on the Thai models so I don't know how you could make an informed decision from this.

And problem free longevity really must come into the equation, I think, not a new car wow....smile.png

If you read all the details about the comparison of these 7 vehicles regarding such things as the ride, handling, performance, etc, it provides a lot of useful info for

model comparison purposes. The fact that the Aussie models have side airbags or sunroofs or come in different colors from the Thai models doesn't take anything

away from the usefulness of the info provided in the Aussie comparison.

The VW Amarok is included in the comparison but it is evidently not available in Thailand -- does that detract from the value of the Aussie comparison? I think not.

It seems you are nit-picking and taking a negative viewpoint for no practical reason. I posted this because I think a lot of folks will appreciate the usefulness of this

info. Where can you find a similar comparison in English for Thai models? If you feel the info is not useful you have every right to that option. I suspect a lot of others

will not share your sentiments.

Edited by BradinAsia
  • Like 2

If you read all the details about the comparison of these 7 vehicles regarding such things as the ride, handling, performance, etc, it provides a lot of useful info for

model comparison purposes. The fact that the Aussie models have side airbags or sunroofs or come in different colors from the Thai models doesn't take anything

The VW Amarok is included in the comparison but it is evidently not available in Thailand -- does that detract from the value of the Aussie comparison? I think not.

It seems you are nit-picking and taking a negative viewpoint for no practical reason. I posted this because I think a lot of folks will appreciate the usefulness of this

info. Where can you find a similar comparison in English for Thai models? If you feel the info is not useful you have every right to that option. I suspect a lot of others

I'm not "nitpicking" as you put it. Buying a pickup is not just about performance or handling, extras like airbags, and other safety features may be what your final decision is based on, and if the Aussie models reviewed have features that aren't available here, it kind of defeats the purpose. I had my heart set on a Triton until I realised that the Thai model only has a drivers airbag, something that wouldn't even be allowed to be sold in Australia.

I'm not "nitpicking" as you put it. Buying a pickup is not just about performance or handling, extras like airbags, and other safety features may be what your final decision is based on, and if the Aussie models reviewed have features that aren't available here, it kind of defeats the purpose. I had my heart set on a Triton until I realised that the Thai model only has a drivers airbag, something that wouldn't even be allowed to be sold in Australia.

I think you're missing the whole point.

When shopping for a truck in Thailand it's a very simple thing to determine how a particular model is equipped. Most of these makers have webpages in English

clearly showing this info. You obviously wouldn't go to the U.S. or Australia to find out how a Thai model vehicle is equipped.

However, if you want to know the other info (such as ride, handling, performance, etc) of a vehicle made in Thailand and sold in Australia, you can get that info

from the Aussie comparison test which is not readily available in Thailand unless you can read Thai.

Maybe you are not interested in how the vehicle handles, how much power it has, how it performs, but most folks are interested. By the way, the info you're

so concerned about on the driver's side air bag only on the Mitsubishi Triton is clearly given IN ENGLISH on the Thailand Mitsubishi website.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I researched this topic and read a few threads from people who know infinitely more than me about trucks (I know zilch FYI). I ended up choosing one of my preferred choices because I got a good deal on it. It's a Vigo. If I had have got a very good deal on the Isuzu D-Max I probably would have plumped for that.

I've never been in the fortunate position of being able to buy a new truck/car and selecting the one I liked best. When buying second-hand you often have to compromise on a few things like colour, model, etc, purely because you are going on what's available in the second-hand markets and also the price. If price wasn't a concern then most of us would go for the latest top rated version by the majority of the "experts" wouldn't we unless we had brand loyalty or other reasons not to go with an objective as opposed to subjective review, albeit subjectiveness has to come into play for things like handling and feel.

Incidentally, the guy I bought my truck off was a real diamond and we were both happy with the deal. The truck is great and I think it will last longer than me!

Now I need to consider a car for my wife, thinking perhaps a Yaris. Should I start a thread on the best small to medium car - Yaris, Jazz, etc? ;-)