Pickups Comparison: Triton/Vigo/Wildtrak/D-Max/Navara

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can i know what is the cheapest truck and what is the most expensive now sold in Thailand ?

Thank you.

Tata

Nissan

Tata I saw a lot in Germany brand new from India full of rust already.

The quaility is ridiculous to buy this rubbish is like you throwing your money direct into the sea.

This is a typical expamlpe for: " You get what you pay for"

Rust-proofing in Thailand is not a major prerequisite. firstly they don't salt the roads.

In India they don't salting the roads either in the most areas, the tata coming out of the factory with rust and lf live near the sea there is permanent salt in the air.

I don't know where you live, but close to sea the first minutes of rain are full of salt, the roads getting very slippery almost like ice.

My general recommandation don't buy a second hand car from a Thai, the most don't maintain their car well, some don't change oil and filters at all.

My general recommendation is: buy from a Thai. They take very well care of their cars and don't use race chips.

I have diff. experience about second hand cars in Thailand anyway 1 question did you ever tried racechip? wink.png

I think it much depends on how the truck (any truck) is maintained.

Examples of good and bad can be found on any road here on any brand.

Just last night as I was heading up the jammed Rama 9 bridge was a older Toyota Vigo beside me that even with my windows closed I could hear a nasty scraping sound coming from the rear end. Not brakes unless one was seized or the guy was dragging his ass-end with the emergency brake on? It was unloaded but the sound was metal on metal constant.

I agree with you on any brand or model you can catch a "Monday" car.

I think it much depends on how the truck (any truck) is maintained.

Examples of good and bad can be found on any road here on any brand.

Just last night as I was heading up the jammed Rama 9 bridge was a older Toyota Vigo beside me that even with my windows closed I could hear a nasty scraping sound coming from the rear end. Not brakes unless one was seized or the guy was dragging his ass-end with the emergency brake on? It was unloaded but the sound was metal on metal constant.

You hit the nail on the head what I said never buy a second car from a thai mostly bad maintainance.

If you are going for 4WD it might be time to check the systems.

Until recently all the Thai pickups had the very basic clunk-in transfer box to the front with no locking diff or anything.

However in other countries they are available with central automatic differentials as on Pajero and Fortuners.......this could be a welcome improvement for those who spend time off-road.

I wouldn't recommend asking the sales staff as they are unlikely to know.

typical sequence of questions go like this.......

"is it auto or manual?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a front diff-lock?"

"Yes!"

"Does it have a double-re-entry valve?"

"Yes!"

"does it have 5 wheel drive?"

"Yes!"

"Is it diesel or gasoline?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a pool with dolphins in the back?"

"Yes!"

"Will you sleep with me if I buy one?"

"Yes!"

only one of those answers is correct...........

In Bangkok are some dealer like Sonimotors they are used to Export direct into to other countries.

Tell them for example you like to have a Toyota Hilux left hand drive EU specifications and you get it.

To be sure let wright it in the contract, some friends of me ordered there for germany before they left Thailand.

The company made all the procedure transportion etc. complete offer I never heard any complaints from my friends.

I approached several companies to buy an Aussie spec pickup for use in Thailand.....eve though they are made only a few kilometres from where I live, i was told that to sell these vehicles in Thailand would be illegal as the government authorises the specifications of the vehicles that can be sold in Thailand for tax/protectionist purposes.

Go to the right dealer independant of a brand the will solve this case like I told before.

i have seen that the nissan navara is a relatively cheaper buy, followed by mitsubishi triton, d-max and so on.

is it due to the lack of popularity of the nissan?

i probably might just drive it for 1 or 2 years max and change again.

advisable to get a cheaper ride?

Cheap buy is seldom cheap on the end after all the adds.

Life cycle costs counts: like (Price for the car + maintainance costs+ consumption costs + repairing costs etc.) means average costs per km.

Don't forget the Anger factor(for me high value), when you buy some rubbish, this can leads to stomach cancer, heart attack etc. cheesy.gif

I like to enjoy my car, this is why I have a Toyota Hilux autom. 3.0 D, 4WD with racechip 218 HP

To all the other buys what you want, up to you, good luck. wink.png

Looking only at the new price of the car is using the brain as short as your nose is, caused there is somethings more. clap2.gif

Carpe diem wai2.gif

The new Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT50 are, as others have posted, nigh on identical and both vehicles are highly rated. I know owners of both and all are extremely happy with them. Well worth a gander IMHO

The Ranger and BT-50 are mechanically the same. actual vehicle calibration differs a lot between the two.

I'm not in the motor trade. What is 'vehicle calibration'?.

The new Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT50 are, as others have posted, nigh on identical and both vehicles are highly rated. I know owners of both and all are extremely happy with them. Well worth a gander IMHO

The Ranger and BT-50 are mechanically the same. actual vehicle calibration differs a lot between the two.

I'm not in the motor trade. What is 'vehicle calibration'?.

The way the drivetrain and vehicle dynamics are tuned by either Ford or Mazda are not the same.

We took delivery of our 4x4 2.2 dual cab auto wildtrack in Sept 2012

Bought the 2.2 because it was 4 cylinder not 5 and had plenty of

power when I test drove one

Done 27K kilometres with no problems averaging as low as 12.2 litres

per 100 klm around Phuket and 7.8 klm per 100 klm on the longer trips

of the island, really happy with it and would buy another one if required

at the time and a 5 cylinder 3.2 once the engine proves reliable

I personally think its horses for courses as far as modern pickups are

concerned and you should buy which one you personally like yourself, they

are all reliable

I personally like the idea of the 5 cylinder engine. As the old saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement".

Historically look how well the Volvo and Audi I5 engines have done. Oh and that sound................... :)

I personally like the idea of the 5 cylinder engine. As the old saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement".

Historically look how well the Volvo and Audi I5 engines have done. Oh and that sound................... smile.png

Only problem with the 3.2 ford/mazda is the over heating of the fifth cylinder just before it eats the piston, I think it is an oiling problem.

Edited by Spoonman

Historically look how well the Volvo and Audi I5 engines have done. Oh and that sound................... smile.png

Only problem with the 3.2 ford/mazda is the over heating of the fifth cylinder just before it eats the piston, I think it is an oiling problem.

Interesting

... Do tell more

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

VCROSS!

Great machine, bought mine around 7 months ago. Never have any problems and isuzu gives good service (Koh Samui). I was turned off by toyota as they where really rude, they probably thought i couldnt afford one, plus told me to wait 6 months for a 4x4 vigo.

The 1 million baht went to Isuzu :)

Edited by SirBser

VCROSS!

Great machine, bought mine around 7 months ago. Never have any problems and isuzu gives good service (Koh Samui). I was turned off by toyota as they where really rude, they probably thought i couldnt afford one, plus told me to wait 6 months for a 4x4 vigo.

The 1 million baht went to Isuzu smile.png

Perhaps you should really have dismissed staff crap and go by your instincts of what you wanted.

LOS is full of chat crap, you just read between the lines and do what you want. I would never dismiss something l was interested in cos a sales person was obnoxious.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do you have free reign to slag people off. Infact you despise pick-ups so why are you even commenting ?

Lets get back to that 5th piston being eaten

Since I own a 3.2L I'd like some more information if you have any

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do you have free reign to slag people off. Infact you despise pick-ups so why are you even commenting ?

Lets get back to that 5th piston being eaten

Since I own a 3.2L I'd like some more information if you have any

Agree, still waiting...........coffee1.gif

newranger.net

Member is based in Malaysia, Engine ate #5 Piston, Ford said it is a cooling issue.

We have had similar issues but as we modify the vehicle the warranty is now ours to honour and not Ford so we just throw a new engine at them and don't look any further into it.

Ford aus has plenty of vehicle's coming with similar issues. If the vehicle has a bullbar (aftermarket) fitted they just void warranty claiming the bullbar is detrimental to the engine cooling.

This Malaysian Ranger does not have a bullbar fitted. it has 32,000 km on the clock.

piston2_zpsd26aaf20.jpg

piston1_zps8a3f6683.jpg

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Interesting stuff Spoonman however I am inclined at this point to take a wait and see on this. ALL auto manufacturers have issues : you can go to just about any forum dedicated to a brand / model and find complaints / recalls / etc.

Until I see a bunch of 3.2's blowing up around here I will hold off judgement. It's a newish engine so not unexpected that there could / would be some teething issues with it I suppose.

Now if the maker's are trying to flog off a design flaw (if it is that) to owner's cause they have a bull bar etc is another issue..

Now, more importantly, why do they call you Spoonman : obvious reasons or just you have no teeth left and can only eat soft mashed up food? lol

Edited by bkkjames
  • Like 1

newranger.net

Member is based in Malaysia, Engine ate #5 Piston, Ford said it is a cooling issue.

We have had similar issues but as we modify the vehicle the warranty is now ours to honour and not Ford so we just throw a new engine at them and don't look any further into it.

Ford aus has plenty of vehicle's coming with similar issues. If the vehicle has a bullbar (aftermarket) fitted they just void warranty claiming the bullbar is detrimental to the engine cooling.

This Malaysian Ranger does not have a bullbar fitted. it has 32,000 km on the clock.

piston2_zpsd26aaf20.jpg

piston1_zps8a3f6683.jpg

Surprised this "fault" was not discovered during the engine testing before putting it into production, which would have been extensive. I am noooooooo expert on that type of damage but to me it looks like heat damage, piston or cylinder expansion closing up piston to wall clearance.

Edited by transam