Pickups Comparison: Triton/Vigo/Wildtrak/D-Max/Navara

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of them have known issues with the AT.

The 3.2L Triton was discontinued in 2011 (replaced with a more powerful 2.5L), so has taken a depreciation hit. The 2.5L models still sell for reasonable prices (comparatively) when you take into account their actual new cost (Mitsu usually offer very good promotions)

Absolutely - the new 2.5s are often more powerful than the 3.2 Mitsu, which was a very old egine model.

Ford and Mazda offer a 3.2, I believe they are 5 cylinder diesels and extremely powerful....they also have a waiting list......

You will pay less yearly road tax on a 2.5 too.

The new Navara is out - but I haven't seen one in a showroom yet...you might get a good price on a run out model though.

Edited by wilcopops

If you are going for 4WD it might be time to check the systems.

Until recently all the Thai pickups had the very basic clunk-in transfer box to the front with no locking diff or anything.

However in other countries they are available with central automatic differentials as on Pajero and Fortuners.......this could be a welcome improvement for those who spend time off-road.

I wouldn't recommend asking the sales staff as they are unlikely to know.

typical sequence of questions go like this.......

"is it auto or manual?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a front diff-lock?"

"Yes!"

"Does it have a double-re-entry valve?"

"Yes!"

"does it have 5 wheel drive?"

"Yes!"

"Is it diesel or gasoline?"

"Yes!"

"Is there a pool with dolphins in the back?"

"Yes!"

"Will you sleep with me if I buy one?"

"Yes!"

only one of those answers is correct...........

Edited by wilcopops

Current Ford Wildtrack 3.2L is the best small truck I've ever had. Anywhere.

200 HP, yes and easy made even stronger, no?

I read that that engine makes in another Van? 220 or 240 HP ?

BUT, why is, was so long waiting timeblink.png on that 3,2 l engine models?

Most Ford T. driving have the smaller engine 4!rolleyes.gif

Toyota cars and trucks are typically under powered and over priced, although reliable, I wouldn't drive a Ford even if someone gave me one for free (Found On Road Dead; Fix Or Repair Daily; Freaked Over Rebuilt Dodge).

I really enjoy my Nissan, I purchased an upgraded Nissan 4-door for less money than a base model Toyota. Plus the gear ratio gives more power to the wheels, so you don't need to spend money on a bigger engine in order to get the muscle you need. My friends are liking their Isuzu trucks. I drove a Triton for a week and it rode well, didn't have any problems with it.

What is this prejudice against Ford all about?

I grew up in Ohio (USA) which was known locally as GM country, and Fords were commonly despised.

At some point I realized this was hill-billy intellect. Ford has consistently made better quality vehicles

than GM, especially trucks. The Ford F-150 has been the U.S. best selling vehicle for many years.

In my experience, Ford trucks are the most durable and reliable truck you can buy, although a bit more

expensive here in Thailand.

This ain't the USA, we do not get USA trucks here...........coffee1.gif

Really? Is there anyone who doesn't know that?

Nobody suggested that F-150s are available here.

The point is the high quality of Ford trucks.

Consider the New Chevrolet Colorado, built by GM in partnership with Isuzu in Rayong. 6 speed AT with 2.8 turbo Duramax (Dmax) diesel delivers same power as the 3.2L Ford. Service interval 25,000 KM

The Chevrolet Colorado may be a good truck, but since its sales volume is near the

bottom of the list the ready availability of parts & service may be a concern.

Forget the Ford. As an Aussie we tend to like them so I persuaded my Thai business partner we should get a Ranger. We are in Nan so the small town may work against us but a few after sales issues were not easily attended to. Everything took days or weeks to remedy. And then in early April the front of it was wiped out in a smash. We have been told it could take up to 5 MONTHS to fix!! Standard wait time according to the local dealer!!

I don't think there's any doubt that Toyota and Isuzu have the best dealer networks for service in remote places in Thailand, and if that is the main concern I think it's valid.

Unfortunately, like in the US, all the dealers in Thailand seem a little crooked. You think you can go to the dealer, pay a little more for service and not be cheated. Just not so. while I was waiting for an oil change for my Tiger at Toyota Phitsanulok, the "tech" came up to the lounge and said the brakes needed to be changed. I thought "<deleted>?" I had just inspected them the week before when I rotated the tires and they had over 50% left. I went down there and they had my front brakes completely taken apart, calipers off and on the floor, parts everywhere. The pads were fine, like I said, more than 50% left. I was fit to be tied. told them to put it all back together immediately and don't ever pull a stunt like that again. I do my own brakes.

More recently, my wife took her one year old Vios in for a 20,000 km service at Toyota, Phichit. I did not go (unfortunately). They sold her and aerosol can of "brake cleaner" for 450 baht, which they claimed they need to "clean the brakes." What a bunch of horse puckey. Maybe one should clean their brakes, but I have never "cleaned my brakes" in my life, and I am 63. I think they really wanted to clean my wallet. They also changed the air cleaner, which is scheduled by Toyota for change at 40,000 km. The old one was clean as a whistle and the new one cost a ridiculous 700 baht. I'll blow out the old one and have them put it back in at 40,000km. That should make them happy. I'll also bring back the can of brake cleaner and tell them to use it to clean the brakes. Should be a cheap service, that one. :) Maybe I should get one of those permanent oil filters that you have to wash out instead of replacing (like I have on my bike), then I could use their cheap labor for the wash and avoid buying something else.

So you just need to stay on top and ride herd.

• Like 2

Current Ford Wildtrack 3.2L is the best small truck I've ever had. Anywhere.

200 HP, yes and easy made even stronger, no?

I read that that engine makes in another Van? 220 or 240 HP ?

BUT, why is, was so long waiting timeblink.png on that 3,2 l engine models?

Most Ford T. driving have the smaller engine 4!rolleyes.gif

The long wait was only on the automatic transmission models. this was because the transmission liked to eat themselves resulting in a very expensive fix.

• Like 1

Consider the New Chevrolet Colorado, built by GM in partnership with Isuzu in Rayong. 6 speed AT with 2.8 turbo Duramax (Dmax) diesel delivers same power as the 3.2L Ford. Service interval 25,000 KM

The Chevrolet Colorado may be a good truck, but since its sales volume is near the

bottom of the list the ready availability of parts & service may be a concern.

Thought the engine in the new 2.8L Colorado is an Italian VM built in Brazil. May be wrong, often am!.

The fact that 80% of pickup sales here are between Toyota and Isuzu, the remainder have to fight it out for rest tells you what the Thais think of the market.

Our local Tessabaan has just purchased ten new (pink) refuse trucks, all on an Isuzu chassis. TOT have fleets of orange Vigo's. so there you go.

What the Triton was called in Europe i dont know. A Friend told me yesterday that an L200 Trojan that looks like a new Triton is available, Its been in the Press over there last few days. So no doubt IMHO has all the best info..thumbsup.gif

Toyota cars and trucks are typically under powered and over priced, although reliable, I wouldn't drive a Ford even if someone gave me one for free (Found On Road Dead; Fix Or Repair Daily; Freaked Over Rebuilt Dodge).

I really enjoy my Nissan, I purchased an upgraded Nissan 4-door for less money than a base model Toyota. Plus the gear ratio gives more power to the wheels, so you don't need to spend money on a bigger engine in order to get the muscle you need. My friends are liking their Isuzu trucks. I drove a Triton for a week and it rode well, didn't have any problems with it.

I wouldn't touch a Nissan with YOUR dick. The Nissan is very pretty and it is cheaper, but if you want to drive it for the long haul, the Nissan is not going to fill the bill. If you are the type that likes to drive a new vehicle and you trade it in every two or three years, the Nissan is perfect for you, because it is cheaper and it will last for two or three years.

If you want to drive it for 10, 15 or 20 years, go with Toyota or Isuzu. As for anything being underpowered, what are you going to do with it? I have a old tried and true Toyota Tiger with a 2.5 turbo and it has plenty of power. Back in the US, I used to pull heavy boat trailers, etc., and a few HP made a difference. But here? What is all this extra HP for? And I DO pull a trailer with my Thai Toyota Tiger. I can load up to a ton of gravel with no problem. So unless you are into street dragging, I simply don't see power as an issue in any of these trucks.

For me, I want a truck I can drive for years and years with no problems. That eliminates the Nissan and the Mitsu. I don't know one way or another about the Ford. The Toyota is ranked at the top for reliability year after year. My Tiger is now 10 years old and still going strong.

I guess I better sell mine quick and buy spoonmans ranger. Lol

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What the Triton was called in Europe i dont know. A Friend told me yesterday that an L200 Trojan that looks like a new Triton is available, Its been in the Press over there last few days. So no doubt IMHO has all the best info..thumbsup.gif

It might be in the press but it is not available.... same same Thailand.

For me, I want a truck I can drive for years and years with no problems. That eliminates the Nissan and the Mitsu.

Nonsense.

I concur, I don't understand many comments made on vehicles, engines have been very reliable throughout different makes for years and years.

My sister in-laws Nissan diesel truck must be getting on for 30years I drive it for her from time to time because it has no power steering but it's still a good old motor.

Her grandson has the fathers diesel Nissan Frontier thats 12 years old and still a nice ride and has never had a problem with the engine.

I have a 4 cyl dmax diesel and it goes like a rabbit up hill and over dale. You only need the stability control once to save your life. The dealer service is astounding. No comlaints at all.

Forget the Ford. As an Aussie we tend to like them so I persuaded my Thai business partner we should get a Ranger. We are in Nan so the small town may work against us but a few after sales issues were not easily attended to. Everything took days or weeks to remedy. And then in early April the front of it was wiped out in a smash. We have been told it could take up to 5 MONTHS to fix!! Standard wait time according to the local dealer!!

I don't think there's any doubt that Toyota and Isuzu have the best dealer networks for service in remote places in Thailand, and if that is the main concern I think it's valid.

I grew up in Ohio (USA) which was known locally as GM country, and Fords were commonly despised.

At some point I realized this was hill-billy intellect. Ford has consistently made better quality vehicles

than GM, especially trucks. The Ford F-150 has been the U.S. best selling vehicle for many years.

In my experience, Ford trucks are the most durable and reliable truck you can buy, although a bit more

This ain't the USA, we do not get USA trucks here...........coffee1.gif

Really? Is there anyone who doesn't know that?

Nobody suggested that F-150s are available here.

The point is the high quality of Ford trucks.

Exactly what I meant.

"The point is the high quality of Ford trucks"....in the "USA".

I have a 4 cyl dmax diesel and it goes like a rabbit up hill and over dale. You only need the stability control once to save your life. The dealer service is astounding. No comlaints at all.

I am not a Ford fan myself, but: based on 1 dealer experience you're saying 'forget Ford'?

Dear all,

I'm having itchy fingers wanting a change of car to try a pick up.

I am inclined only towards the automatic models though.

which of these actually have a more reliable gearbox?

I saw that the triton has a relatively lower selling price (2nd hand) as compared to the others. even the 3.2L automatic has a decent selling price.

Is there a particular reason?

I would prefer to get a vigo as it's a toyota but there are so many variants that it's abit confusing. Maybe I'm looking at the 3 litre. Does it come with turbo for automatic as well?

I'm also sold on the D-max turbo 3.0

The ford and nissan i've not done any research yet so I'd appreciate any inputs.

Dear all,

I'm having itchy fingers wanting a change of car to try a pick up.

I am inclined only towards the automatic models though.

which of these actually have a more reliable gearbox?

I saw that the triton has a relatively lower selling price (2nd hand) as compared to the others. even the 3.2L automatic has a decent selling price.

Is there a particular reason?

I would prefer to get a vigo as it's a toyota but there are so many variants that it's abit confusing. Maybe I'm looking at the 3 litre. Does it come with turbo for automatic as well?

I'm also sold on the D-max turbo 3.0

The ford and nissan i've not done any research yet so I'd appreciate any inputs.

Got a 6 speed manual mazda bt50 and cannot fault it except for a few rattles from 38000 km driven mostly on Issan roads. (Bought new oct 2013 so clocking up the Km's fast)

Newish ride with rattles..................coffee1.gif

My truck is near 7 years old and drives and sounds like new............thumbsup.gif

Build quality, design quality, so you don't have all these rattles.

The new Ford Ranger and the Mazda BT50 are, as others have posted, nigh on identical and both vehicles are highly rated. I know owners of both and all are extremely happy with them. Well worth a gander IMHO

The Ranger and BT-50 are mechanically the same. actual vehicle calibration differs a lot between the two.

I have driven Ford trucks for decades... Why? Because they are the best value in the US market... They still do not stand up when compared to Nissan, Toyota and Mitsubishi on a global scale where the playing field is level...

Being from the Rust Belt, you have to admit that US manufactured vehicles by the big 3 have been <deleted> for decades... Ford has turned it around, a bit, but GM and Chrysler are crap and will always be crap when compared to German or Japanese manufacturers...

• Like 1

Got a 6 speed manual mazda bt50 and cannot fault it except for a few rattles from 38000 km driven mostly on Issan roads. (Bought new oct 2013 so clocking up the Km's fast)

Newish ride with rattles..................coffee1.gif

My truck is near 7 years old and drives and sounds like new............thumbsup.gif

Build quality, design quality, so you don't have all these rattles.

But it is still just a Toyota.

• Like 1