Android Tablet with HDMI port

Do you really need a tablet?

If just watching TV why not get one of the Android TV sticks, looks like a big USB stick but plugs into the HDMI port and turns the TV into a giant tablet, add a wireless mouse and you're good to go.

About USD100 for a decent one.

• Like 1

Be aware that you (probably) won't be able to transfer any copyrighted material to watch on your large screen TV via an HDMI lead.

As an example, I watch the EPL football on my tablet via the AISBPL app. But when I tried watching it on my TV via an HDMI lead the picture gets blanked out with an on screen message telling me to unplug the HDMI lead.

Less than 100 bucks can buy you a decent media player that'll play real 24p and 1080p movies at better quality.

If your main purpose is using android on tv and youtube / web browsing etc, then get something with Amlogic chipset and in box shape (not usb stick style).

If main purpose is to watch movies (1080p, mkv, dts etc) media player (not android based) is better choice.

I wonder why no one has actually answered the o/p? Most Samsung tablets (for example) come with adapters to plug into the HDMI port on a TV. However, like others have said a media player would work better.

Can it be because it is a bad idea?

Android does not support resolution change, you're stuck with tablet resolution. If it is 1280x800, it will upscale it to 1080p and you won't get 1:1 pixel mapping of any sort, just upscaled crappy picture quality.

Why bother with tablet -> hdmi while you have much much better options to play video files?

I really like the HP Slate 7 Extreme. I had good luck with ordering through Lazada.com at about 7000 baht. It has a quad core processor and a decent screen. I have also come to like to like the stylus it comes with. Another big advantage with using an OTG (on the go) cable from the micro USB port I can now read USB and SD cards directly. By installing a micro sim you can get up to 32 GB extra Data storage. I have had good luck with mine so far. The sound output is a little less than I like but no problem if you port to a TV.

Many tablets and laptops have HDMI or Mini-HDMI ports . I play YouTube and videos from other sources on my Sony Vaio and Nexus 10 connected to my TV by HDMI. The picture from each looks great. Rather than buying Android on a stick, it is better to pay a little more for the quad-core machines with good WiFi reception. My little Android stick simply couldn't cope with my hotel's WiFi. My quadcore Minix (about 2100 baht in Phantip) did just fine.

• 1 month later...

If just watching TV why not get one of the Android TV sticks, looks like a big USB stick but plugs into the HDMI port and turns the TV into a giant tablet, add a wireless mouse and you're good to go.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you referring to something like Chromecast?

From what I've read online, I should be able to open a movie on my hard drive in a Google Chrome tab and then mirror it to my TV with Chromecast. I am understanding this correctly?

Are you referring to something like Chromecast?

Not really, the device I'm talking about does not need a tablet or anything else to function (OK a wireless mouse). It's a full blown Android device complete with access to Playstore etc, it just doesn't have a screen.

Any app that works on your tablet or phone should work on this. Most don't have 3G so you'll need WiFi for it to connect to if you want to stream movies etc.

Looks like a giant USB stick.