The Good, the Bad and the Ugly star Eli Wallach dead at 98

webfact

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly star Eli Wallach dead at 98

NEW YORK: -- US method actor Eli Wallach - famous for a 60-year career that included classics like The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Magnificnet Seven - is dead at the age of 98, reported the NewYork Times Tuesday, citing the actor's daughter.

The Polish-Jewish immigrant had his Broadway debut in 1945, winning a Tony award in 1951.

He enjoyed his first silver screen success with The Magnificent Seven in 1960, playing Mexican bandit Calvera.

He went on to co-star in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Clint Eastwood, portraying the gangster Tuco.

He received an honourary Oscar for lifetime achievement in 2010.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-25

• Like 1

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is one of my favourite films, and I quite liked The Magnificent Seven as well (though Seven Samurai is much better, IMHO).

I do find it a bit sad that a man with such an outstanding theatre, film and TV career is remembered by most media outlets for these two films alone.

He also played a really good aged conniving mafioso in Godfather III, the least loved of the trilogy, but one I thought still offered a lot to finish the series.

**not a bad Sicilian accent in his spoken Italian either, for a nice Jewish boy.

Edited by keemapoot

I liked him as the old hit man with poor eyesight in Tough Guys. I just watched Wall Street - The Money Never Sleeps recently and didn't realize that the ancient banker character (Julie Steinhardt) was Eli as well !

All the good ones are popping off ! Lee Marvin. James Coburn. Eli Wallach. Soon it just won't be worth going to the movies any more !!

Classic excerpt from The G, The B & The U; Eli Wallach as Tuco....

[Tuco is in a bubble bath. The One Armed Man enters the room]

One Armed Man: I've been looking for you for 8 months. Whenever I should have had a gun in my right hand, I thought of you. Now I find you in exactly the position that suits me. I had lots of time to learn to shoot with my left.

[Tuco kills him with the gun he has hidden in the foam]

Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

• Like 1

He was a great actor and appeared in dozens and dozens of films as well as on television and was a great actor. He starred in a movie just a few years back with Kate Winslet. It wasn't a great movie but he did a good job especially for a man in his 90's

I just watched Wall Street - The Money Never Sleeps recently and didn't realize that the ancient banker character (Julie Steinhardt) was Eli as well !

Indeed, the look on Gekko's face at the end when he does his bird impression lol. He was also fairly recently in that house swap movie with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslett, Jude Law and Jack Black.

RIP Tuco. Who says only the Good die young? ;)