Speeding, will you still do it after viewing this video?

pault17

No effect whatsoever, the word "speeding" is relative..Whats speeding for you, is absolutely NOT speeding for me that's certain.

The guy was a complete moron for not reading the road conditions and acting accordingly and driving within his abilities and there will never be a commercial to teach that or to make up for peoples lack of judgment in such conditions or understanding their vehicles capabilities, performance limits and the dynamics of how inertia effects it, he could have just as easily crashed at a much lower speed and still had the same consequences if he's that incapable...

• Like 2

I think I'll drive a little slower. I can feel that my control of the car is diminished when I go over 50 KPH. The speed limit for normal roads here is 40 KPH and less on small streets. Tollways though are 65-70.

No effect whatsoever, the word "speeding" is relative..Whats speeding for you, is absolutely NOT speeding for me that's certain.

The guy was a complete moron for not reading the road conditions and acting accordingly and driving within his abilities and there will never be a commercial to teach that or to make up for peoples lack of judgment in such conditions or understanding their vehicles capabilities, performance limits and the dynamics of how inertia effects it, he could have just as easily crashed at a much lower speed and still had the same consequences if he's that incapable...

Many thanks for your insight into this matter "WarpSpeed" just wondering, considering your apparent experience, how about telling us just WHAT you would do, to ensure that people drive safely at various speeds and how you would identify and rate the capabilities of drivers on our roads at a range of speeds?

Could you also tell us exactly what your own qualifications are, where they were obtained and which Authority could vouch for their authenticity?

• Like 1

Well no actually, It would be redundant and there's plenty of previous posts on here that will verify what I do and what my experience is just have a look around but suffice it to say I have no need to convince you or anyone else, you nor your opinion matters no more to me then any other poster on here but those who are intelligent enough about the topic can differentiate from my posting history the extent of my qualifications and don't question anymore, it's usually just trolls who do.. I hold an FIA pro license, SCCA pro license, IMSA pro license and held a Grand American pro license before it became IMSA, additionally I have 25 years of racing and instructing experience and many championships, wins and track records to go along with more 26 years of clean driving record on the street. So none of those "written" qualifications probably mean anything to you so there really was no point in even posting it, but I did anyway. Now what's your qualifications to even presume you can question mine?

Edited by WarpSpeed

I agree with Warpy, really too fast for the damp conditions, but what caused him to lose the back end on a bend which that car with a reasonable driver should have taken easily even in those conditions? Just his speed, or another factor? In which case it wasn't purely speed that caused the accident although it may have contributed to the results.

Was the driver actually exceeding the speed limit (speeding)? Non-urban road, no street lights, no speed limit signs, UK national speed limit applies, 60mph (100kph). The message is 'yes' but I'm not so sure.

No, it's unlikely to change my driving style, but I wouldn't be going that fast there in those conditions.

I do exceed the speed limits on a regular basis, on the expressways mostly (I have the tickets to prove it).

Other than a UK car and bike licence for 28 years (clean except, wait for it, speeding) I have no documents to prove my driving skills.

Edited by TheMysteriousMrTesla
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your insight into this matter "WarpSpeed" just wondering, considering your apparent experience, how about telling us just WHAT you would do, to ensure that people drive safely at various speeds and how you would identify and rate the capabilities of drivers on our roads at a range of speeds?

Could you also tell us exactly what your own qualifications are, where they were obtained and which Authority could vouch for their authenticity?

Well that's you and of course, all the rest of us put in our place. This is the guy that 'kicks arse 'when he drives and thinks that this is normal behaviour

According to Youtube this is a 2014 film, according to the film since 2000 speeding has killed a classroom of children.

UK class size about 30, over 14 years, about 2 per year, was it worth making the film? More children are killed by household chemicals.

Note that this is a Northern Irish public information film, IIRC UK road rules apply.

• Like 1

Very hard to imagine a person speeding into a corner with a curb and a stone wall, especially in the damp (curbs are intimidating on corners) Especially with the speed necessary to blast through a stone wall broadside and still carry on in a high speed tumble. In the real world, locking the brakes would have sent him into the curb nose first. where he would have then caught front end on the wall creating rotation of the vehicle in a horizontal axis first. Which would have spent a great deal of the kinetic energy. The only way he would have been able to lock the back brakes and hit the wall broadside would have been to do a parking brake turn. and even then he would have had to jerk the steering wheel to bring the back end around.

These types of ads can be effective, but when the action is unbelievable, the effect is wasted.

Was it too difficult to create a believable illustration? Perhaps a speeding car hitting a corner too fast and therefore cutting off a bus full of kids over a ravine or into oncoming traffic, or similar stuff.

• Like 1

Well that's you and of course, all the rest of us put in our place. This is the guy that 'kicks arse 'when he drives and thinks that this is normal behaviour

Got 2 quotes there, your response is aimed at mine or his? Hard to tell? His is the most recent so possibly his but, like I said...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Very hard to imagine a person speeding into a corner with a curb and a stone wall, especially in the damp (curbs are intimidating on corners) Especially with the speed necessary to blast through a stone wall broadside and still carry on in a high speed tumble. In the real world, locking the brakes would have sent him into the curb nose first. where he would have then caught front end on the wall creating rotation of the vehicle in a horizontal axis first. Which would have spent a great deal of the kinetic energy. The only way he would have been able to lock the back brakes and hit the wall broadside would have been to do a parking brake turn. and even then he would have had to jerk the steering wheel to bring the back end around.

These types of ads can be effective, but when the action is unbelievable, the effect is wasted.

Was it too difficult to create a believable illustration? Perhaps a speeding car hitting a corner too fast and therefore cutting off a bus full of kids over a ravine or into oncoming traffic, or similar stuff.

This is especially important if, it's not believable it becomes an insult to ones intelligence and therefore ignored.. Point lost.

While I didn't see him "blast" through the wall but rather over it, rolling, like you said horizontally, how fast do you think he would have really had to be traveling into that turn to retain THAT much momentum to breach even a 3 foot wall and keep rolling like it did? It's nonsensical but gullible people believe what they wish to.. Anyway slow down as maybe one shouldn't even be driving if one is THAT incompetent.. Like posted above, speed is a small fraction of what kills people, lack of proper driving skills is a far greater killer but that's not what the officials want to address because frankly it's not police-able so instead they make silly public service announcements to influence those who fall for the message and then end up being more dangerous going too slow, making dangerous situations for those who can drive skillfully.

I agree with Warpy, really too fast for the damp conditions, but what caused him to lose the back end on a bend which that car with a reasonable driver should have taken easily even in those conditions? Just his speed, or another factor? In which case it wasn't purely speed that caused the accident although it may have contributed to the results.

Was the driver actually exceeding the speed limit (speeding)? Non-urban road, no street lights, no speed limit signs, UK national speed limit applies, 60mph (100kph). The message is 'yes' but I'm not so sure.

No, it's unlikely to change my driving style, but I wouldn't be going that fast there in those conditions.

I do exceed the speed limits on a regular basis, on the expressways mostly (I have the tickets to prove it).

Other than a UK car and bike licence for 28 years (clean except, wait for it, speeding) I have no documents to prove my driving skills.

You incompetent! What right have you?? whistling.gifrolleyes.gif BTW as a side note, not trying to upstage you but I don't even have speeding tickets since my youth like I posted, well over 25 years ago. That's one excellent up side to racing, you find you don't need indulge on the street and you gain insight and knowledge that applies to every day driving. BTW that doesn't mean I don't 'speed' on the street to get to destinations but again what is speeding? Yes exceeding a posted limit for AVERAGE drivers, to me not applicable.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Speeding, not judging the road conditions so on and so on - the message is clear enough.

Kinda like when you see a horrible accident on the road as you are driving past - one tends to slow down a bit - if only for a little while.

Perhaps the guy who sawed his Lambo in half doing 150 in the rain would enjoy watching this.

• Like 1

I was going to post that Lambo accident but didn't think there was enough car pics, just a couple of pieces being lifted, too bad he didn't have a car cam at least not that has been publicized. There again though as we say more dollars than sense, 90mph is not that fast for a Lambo in the rain, clearly it wasn't speed it was more a lack of driver skill, more car than driver..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I was going to post that Lambo accident but didn't think there was enough car pics, just a couple of pieces being lifted, too bad he didn't have a car cam at least not that has been publicized. There again though as we say more dollars than sense, 90mph is not that fast for a Lambo in the rain, clearly it wasn't speed it was more a lack of driver skill, more car than driver..

either way he was breaking the law and I hope the insurance company says to him, too bad, so sad, you lose.

• Like 1

Since when does the insurance company get a free pass on "breaking the law", never heard of such a thing and hope I never do, the insurance companies already have enough outs of paying off on their policies they don't need any more, probably the car was financed, or not, but the bank can't/won't be victimized for his poor judgement.

Since when does the insurance company get a free pass on "breaking the law", never heard of such a thing and hope I never do, the insurance companies already have enough outs of paying off on their policies they don't need any more, probably the car was financed, or not, but the bank can't/won't be victimized for his poor judgement.

What I am saying is that guy should foot the bill personly.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok fairy enough.. I'd not argue with that perspective.. It really does suck when people like this who can afford to own one but can't take the time or invest the money to properly learn to drive one ends up raising all of our rates through stupidity. The only good outcome is that he only hurt his car and his pride.

According to Youtube this is a 2014 film, according to the film since 2000 speeding has killed a classroom of children.

UK class size about 30, over 14 years, about 2 per year, was it worth making the film? More children are killed by household chemicals.

Note that this is a Northern Irish public information film, IIRC UK road rules apply.

That's a callous quote if ever I've seen one.

Would you have still written that if YOUR child had been killed in a traffic accident?

Somewhat but just honestly stating facts eh? Maybe a bit overblown in the grand scheme of things? Besides using the child card to tug at heart strings and get reactions like yours if one doesn't buy into the government hype. If they're going to exploit them in that context it should be a more relevant stat over a shorter period of time to emphasize their point..

Edited by WarpSpeed

A film like that will do nothing, just impact ones gray cells for a few hours. How many times have you seen a serious accident and from that moment on slowed down, think we all do it, then a few miles up the road (or the next day) all is back to normal with your driving.

[quote name="WarpSpeed" Yes exceeding a posted limit for AVERAGE drivers, to me not applicable.

Classic. Even with all your undoubted experience you are not above the law. You do know that, don't you?

Edited by MMarlow
  • Like 1

Well no actually, It would be redundant and there's plenty of previous posts on here that will verify what I do and what my experience is just have a look around but suffice it to say I have no need to convince you or anyone else, you nor your opinion matters no more to me then any other poster on here but those who are intelligent enough about the topic can differentiate from my posting history the extent of my qualifications and don't question anymore, it's usually just trolls who do.. I hold an FIA pro license, SCCA pro license, IMSA pro license and held a Grand American pro license before it became IMSA, additionally I have 25 years of racing and instructing experience and many championships, wins and track records to go along with more 26 years of clean driving record on the street. So none of those "written" qualifications probably mean anything to you so there really was no point in even posting it, but I did anyway. Now what's your qualifications to even presume you can question mine?

Sorry, WarpSpeed, you do have my respect regarding your experience (not that you or anyone else would necessarily care about that, of course) up to a point, that point being when you become a pompous ass, ably demonstrated in your response above.

Well pomposity comes when someone sarcastically calls into question my qualifications for providing my long time practical experience and professional observations and then requires sources to prove them on a public INTERNET forum or basically suggesting otherwise they're invalid. Frankly the pomposity came from him so that's what he got back.. Sorry you don't recognize it in that context, several others obviously have, no, I'm not really sorry, not my problem..

Edited by WarpSpeed