Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action

webfact

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

Where do posters get this idea of paying these guys more to prevent corruption.

How much do you suggest ? .. considering they do close to nothing, then they should be payed accordingly.

They dont even know how to effectively direct traffic, its always one direction at a time .. have you not noticed ?

Get them out doing some work for starters.

Yes! It would be quite simple to set up a system whereby the officer who writes the ticket puts his/her badge # on the ticket. When the fine is paid, the officer gets a percentage of the ticket fee. Of course, in order to do this there would have to be a set fee for each offense, payable to a central location, not the officer. Also, there must be some way to prevent officers from writing unjust tickets.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree there needs to be enforcement of traffic, but once again they are talking about enforcement that can be done while standing on the corner. The really dangerous stuff happens in the traffic flow, and you have a zero percent chance of getting a ticket out there. You can even pass a cop while driving in the oncoming lane. Nothing will happen.

But I also feel that suspension of a license for two infractions is a bit over the top. You have to start with reality. Take one ride in a taxi and count the infractions per trip. There would be no one with a license after the first week.

"There would be no one with a license after the first week."

.. but it wouldn't necessarily take them off the road. They will simply join the numbers of unlicensed drivers.

• Like 1

I am waiting for those posters advocating harsher penalties whining later how unfair it is because they have been fined. Speed cameras and traffic light cameras, number plate recognition etc etc.................it would be like living in the UK.

• Like 2

is it true that you are not allowed to drive on motorways with motorbike? I mean that is super stupid....

yup, they still believe a moto-si only has 125cc and can do 80kmph max. they lose millions in toll revenue from big bike riders who in turn have to ride thousands of un needed kms to go around bangkok every year.

how difficult is it to impose a 400cc minimum law???

OH NO! Tea money just went from 200 to 300 baht?

More than that now. Tuesday 24 Jun.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

A bit off topic. We were driving up to Udon Thani a few years back, cop on the side of the road waved us to stop, scammed me of 300bt. Then told my gf not to speed for 5km. Yep at 5km speed trap, a bit further they we're waiting.

jb1

"We will introduce the e-ticket system," he said. "Information at the Land Transport Department's computer system will then be updated constantly. This means the department won't accept car-tax payment from drivers who do not pay traffic fines."

I wish them more luck than Obama in his health insurance scam internet system. I am betting that this takes forever to program.

Chicken and egg!

No one is going to do their job correctly for little pay.

It's going to take a while to change the mind set of the police. It's been this way for a long time. They turn up for work in a pressed uniform for their wages, they work when they have a bonus to be had.

If the right selection were paid well from now on with a new set of rules IE the job is to enforce the law it will become a safer place. Although i can't help but feel it's just one step closer to home. I hope they never hear of Health and Safety!!.

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

Where do posters get this idea of paying these guys more to prevent corruption.

How much do you suggest ? .. considering they do close to nothing, then they should be payed accordingly.

They dont even know how to effectively direct traffic, its always one direction at a time .. have you not noticed ?

Get them out doing some work for starters.

I don't see how you can ever jump a red light in Thailand as traffic keeps flowing through several seconds after the light is red. Enforcement for traffic laws is certainly needed here.

Let's get the terminology right for a start. You don't jump a red light anywhere on the planet.

You RUN red light.

You JUMP a green light.

Thanks for your attention.

Enforcing laws would improve traffic flow no end. <deleted> bus drivers that use the left turn lane when going straight make nearly homicidal

On most main streets, the left lane is called "the bus lane". And on all streets where there are buses, the left lane is called "the lane the buses have to stop in to pick up passengers." Weaving in and out of that lane might ease your tragic pain, but it would actually make traffic worse.

I own a car rental company. So how they gonna clear traffic tickets with the car rental companies? Most of the time, the tourist drivers of rental cars are already back in Europe, when the ticked arrives at our office. So who gonna pay for it? Should rental car companies keep the customers deposit for a certain kind of times, lets say one extra month, until find out, if there was a ticket issued or not? I don't think it's gonna work that way and i not gonna pay customers traffic tickets by my self.

I own a car rental company. So how they gonna clear traffic tickets with the car rental companies? Most of the time, the tourist drivers of rental cars are already back in Europe, when the ticked arrives at our office. So who gonna pay for it? Should rental car companies keep the customers deposit for a certain kind of times, lets say one extra month, until find out, if there was a ticket issued or not? I don't think it's gonna work that way and i not gonna pay customers traffic tickets by my self.

if you hire a car in uk and commit a traffic offence,they just charge your credit card,and a whacking big admin fee on top,generally first you no about is when payment comes up on your statement.
  • Like 1

FWIW, the wife sent me a picture the other day (I am far away at work) and it is my first ever, Thai traffic ticket... in the mail!

It has a picture of the arse end of my speeding truck and a zoom-in on the number and states I was doing 135 kph at 7:05 in the morning of 30th April on Highway 3.

The ticket was sent to my registered address in Udon and sister-in-law seeing it was from the police and very official looking, opened it and couldn't hold herself back from calling my wife and suggesting I was a badly wanted man. The wife thinks this already... but I digress. I was speeding so the dear wife could catch her flight as she had overslept!

Anyway, it says it's a 500 baht fine and there's instruction and a map to the Highway Police Station. It also goes up to 1000 baht beyond a certain time (my Thai aint that good) so my good wife called them and they said she just needs to bring the ticket to any police station, pay the 500 baht (despite the ticket being almost 2 months old) and they don't need me or my license. So right now, the autodetecting radar traps on highways are being used and tickets are being issued. But luckily, it seems that there's no direct linkage to penalizing the driver directly... unless they save them up and issue a summons when you collect ticket number whatever?

Oh yes, since I was speeding for her benefit, she has agreed not to seek reimbursement upon my return to LOS. Keeper, eh?

I've banged this drum more than once. Cops standing in the road are next to useless. They need traffic enforcement cops in cars who actively look for drivers committing violations, and then pull the drivers over and ticket them. However, here in Thailand, no one is afraid of a cop in a car with lights blazing and sirens blaring. The average driver ignores them and keeps driving. Ever have a cop pull you over in the United States? You better stop or your asking for major problems. Act erratic and your libel to get tazed, arrested, have your car impounded, and enjoy a night in jail. My guess is that the average Thai could drive in the US less than a week before being pulled over for a moving violation, and if they do the old 'ignore the cop behind them' routine -- well, it's a good way to get yourself in serious trouble. "Sorry, sorry, I no understand" doesn't get much sympathy.

People in the US stop for cops because they are afraid of them -- they understand the consequences of not obeying an officer. In Thailand, no one is afraid of cops. Big laugh, big smile, 'kor toot, kor toot", pay a minimal fine and your off back on the road with a piece of paper that says you can break the same law for the rest of the day.

Edited by connda

""We will introduce the e-ticket system," he said. "Information at the Land Transport Department's computer system will then be updated constantly. This means the department won't accept car-tax payment from drivers who do not pay traffic fines."

How does re-hashing an idea that is ALREADY meant to be in force give one ay confidence that this "nabob dictum" is going to be any more effective than any prior "announcements"?

is it true that you are not allowed to drive on motorways with motorbike? I mean that is super stupid....

Yes it is true and yes it is super stupid. I can understand why the little step though moped type bikes with small under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly. But surely they could say proper motorbikes, which are incidentally far safer in a good riders hands, of over say 200cc engine capacity should be allowed on all Thai motorways. The main criteria is that the motorbikes are not slow creeping mobile obstructions on these main motorway roads. A proper bike over 200cc should if properly ridden be going just as fast as the majority of cars and other vehicles on the motorway and thus has to be far safer.

I personally have a 600cc Honda Steed and i like to think I ride it well and safely having been properly trained years ago back in the UK, but I find it very frustrating when I want to go say touring that I cannot take it on the motorways and see no point in such a restriction on motorbikes of this size and ability. Heck I would feel and truly be far safer riding on a motorway on my bike than on the alternative roads with drivers and riders jumping lights, 3 or more on a bike and going in the wrong direction in a traffic lane. As we all know because of the appalling dangerous riding and driving on the roads here it is a real hazard course and a nightmare having to ride so very defensively at all times awaiting the inevitable stupid driver who comes out of a side junction without stopping or even looking. Sure such drivers should get a ban and big fine, maybe that just may start to reduce the road casualties a little bit

Certainly this is a law here that does need changing sensibly..

Reading most of the comments here confirms that most of the posters on this thread have NEVER driven in Thailand and have no idea what's going on. I'll say this: In the last three weeks the police have been much more active, particularly in terms of looking for drunk drivers, which is a welcome change. They used to only set up checkpoints Thursday-Saturday nights, but now it's every night and they stop every car talk to the drivers and if they suspect drinking they administer a breathalizer test. One Thai friend of mine tried to bribe his way out of it, but couldn't (even offering 5,000 baht). He ended up spending a night in the slammer and paying a 30,000 fine.

Also, in the past when I was a newbie driver here and afraid of bribing police, I was administered tickets on two occasions, so they really do write them if you don't bribe.

And I think you can believe it if the junta says it's going to crack down.

As for other serious moving violations, let's see. Thai cops are not good at policing the streets and nailing the real scofflaws who drive aggressively, drive on the shoulder, make illegal u-turns etc.

"He ended up spending a night in the slammer and paying a 30,000 fine." - overnight??? that sounds highly dubious. It sounds as if the local police in your area are upping their tea money.

Yes it is true and yes it is super stupid. I can understand why the little step though moped type bikes with small under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly. But surely they could say proper motorbikes, which are incidentally far safer in a good riders hands, of over say 200cc engine capacity should be allowed on all Thai motorways. The main criteria is that the motorbikes are not slow creeping mobile obstructions on these main motorway roads. A proper bike over 200cc should if properly ridden be going just as fast as the majority of cars and other vehicles on the motorway and thus has to be far safer.

I personally have a 600cc Honda Steed and i like to think I ride it well and safely having been properly trained years ago back in the UK, but I find it very frustrating when I want to go say touring that I cannot take it on the motorways and see no point in such a restriction on motorbikes of this size and ability. Heck I would feel and truly be far safer riding on a motorway on my bike than on the alternative roads with drivers and riders jumping lights, 3 or more on a bike and going in the wrong direction in a traffic lane. As we all know because of the appalling dangerous riding and driving on the roads here it is a real hazard course and a nightmare having to ride so very defensively at all times awaiting the inevitable stupid driver who comes out of a side junction without stopping or even looking. Sure such drivers should get a ban and big fine, maybe that just may start to reduce the road casualties a little bit

Certainly this is a law here that does need changing sensibly..

ExpatSupreme,

Can you clarify something for me. What is the definition of a 'motorway'. Most of the 4 lane divide highways I've driving on have motorcycles on them too, although driving on the left hand shoulder. When I drive my Honda 125 on Highway 11 in Northern Thailand, I drive about 60 kph on the left hand shoulder. When I drive by 250 V Twin, I drive on the main road and follow the flow of traffic, primarily in the left hand lane (not shoulder). Is Highway 11 a 'motorway' or something different?

If you jump a red light for the first time you should be banned for life, as you may end someone elses ! Get tougher guys!!!!!

And if you speed for the first time, you should be banned for life..

And if you drive against the traffic, you should be banned for life..

And if you make an illegal U-turn, you should be banned for life.....

And if you drive with a phone in your hand, you should be banned for life..

Lots of road behaviours in Thailand may end someone else's life...

So people would enjoy nice walks in Thailand I would presume...

And farting in a public place, you should be plugged for life.

• Like 1