Life jacket speed boat to Koh Samet

Edv80

When you get to the Pier you can choose one from a handful of companies to take you across.

You are usually given a choice or Single, Double or Triple Engined... Double is obviously safer than Single, just incase one Engine dies etc..

Triple is just more powerful.

Some operators carry life jackets, some probably don't. Some may lie about it when purchasing the ticket.

You can ask if you can see the boat you will travel in, do this before paying ! (for obvious reasons - once paid, if you don't like the boat, you won't get a refund).

If you handle the situation fairly and politely, you will be treated equally so in return.

Even when they don't understand why, most Thai's accept that us Westerners can be a little whacky (in their eyes) about these things...

My experience of boats going over to Koh Samui is they have life jackets but not enough for everyone. They also have life jackets but the canvas and fittings have rotted so they fall apart when you try to fasten it up. This was one one of the smaller boats that sail direct to Surathani. Luckily it didn't capsize or sink.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is how many of the boats are operated all over Thailand. My two tips are take the boat in the morning as more storms kick up in the afternoons and you can buy life jackets easily in coastal towns. Take them home and ebay them.

My experience of boats going over to Koh Samui is they have life jackets but not enough for everyone. They also have life jackets but the canvas and fittings have rotted so they fall apart when you try to fasten it up. This was one one of the smaller boats that sail direct to Surathani. Luckily it didn't capsize or sink.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is how many of the boats are operated all over Thailand. My two tips are take the boat in the morning as more storms kick up in the afternoons and you can buy life jackets easily in coastal towns. Take them home and ebay them.

i think the OP mentioned going to Koh Samet not Koh Samui, just saying. And why would you buy your own lifejacket and not just make sure they have suitable ones on the boat before paying.

i think the OP mentioned going to Koh Samet not Koh Samui, just saying. And why would you buy your own lifejacket and not just make sure they have suitable ones on the boat before paying.

Carrying around life jackets for a family for use once a year etc is not the most practical of solutions...

Its simple enough for the Op to check the boat and that is has decent life vests / jackets before hiring the boat.

Carrying around life jackets for a family for use once a year etc is not the most practical of solutions...

Its simple enough for the Op to check the boat and that is has decent life vests / jackets before hiring the boat.

While I agree that carrying life jackets around for kids may not be practical, I wonder how many kids have drowned at beaches and hotel swimming pools that wouldn't have drowned had their parents made them wear life jackets.

The life jackets on boats are probably not going to fit kids. And even if they do, who wants to be futzing around adjusting straps and buckles when the boat's sinking?

Kid's life jackets can be bought for less than $10 here, and I consider them expendable- just like that $10 lunch that you're going to have to buy again tomorrow.

Buy 'em, fit them to your kids, keep them around during the holiday, make them wear them at the beach and pool, and then "donate" them to someone else so you don't have to carry them home on the plane.

Edited by impulse

Listen to the man, "...they have life jackets but not enough for everyone"..."They also have life jackets but the canvas and fittings have rotted so they fall apart when you try to fasten it up."

Adequate life jackets can be bought at Big-C among other places. They are not 'industry standard' but they work as an aid to flotation in the event of an unfortunate event. They are neither bulky or expensive. Then you can go the jetty, pick the boat that you want and not be traipsing about, inspecting someone else's broken crap while trailing the wife and kids behind you.

Now, apart from saving you some time, what price do you place on the safety or your family?

• Like 2

It might seem extreme buying your own life jacket but I was just putting the info out there for the OP's consideration. They don't cost much and can be bought at big c as mentioned above. I got one in Ranong from a thai style sport shop for the short 1hour boat journey over to Koh Chang. I would never have considered buying a life jacket if I hadn't had the experience on the Koh Samui boat. They weigh very little and you can fit them around your backpack so not too bad to carry around.

Ask any boat service in Thailand have you any life jackets onboard and the answer is yes. Non of these companies will say "we carry a few only, not enough for everyone" or " yes but they are falling apart and rotten". I am sure there are some boats which have enough for everyone and they are in good condition but who knows?

It might seem extreme buying your own life jacket but I was just putting the info out there for the OP's consideration. They don't cost much and can be bought at big c as mentioned above. I got one in Ranong from a thai style sport shop for the short 1hour boat journey over to Koh Chang. I would never have considered buying a life jacket if I hadn't had the experience on the Koh Samui boat. They weigh very little and you can fit them around your backpack so not too bad to carry around.

Ask any boat service in Thailand have you any life jackets onboard and the answer is yes. Non of these companies will say "we carry a few only, not enough for everyone" or " yes but they are falling apart and rotten". I am sure there are some boats which have enough for everyone and they are in good condition but who knows?

Good info. Thanks for clarifying.

I'd also add that when I look at the folks working the boats, I struggle to figure out which one is going to be distributing the life vests in a calm and efficient manner WHILE THE FRICKING BOAT IS SINKING.

Even if they have 2x the number they need, I don't want to be fighting a bunch of panicked tourists for our life vests, especially if my loved ones' lives are in the balance.

Look at many of the recent ferry and speedboat drownings, and they aren't slow leaks where the boat takes on water for hours. Most of them are collisions with other boats or rocks where the boat sinks in seconds, maybe minutes. If I'm not wearing a life vest when it happens, chances are, I'm not going to be wearing one in the water.

Edited by impulse

My compliments to you for being pro-active, OP. The vast majority of tourists just take it for granted that USCG standards are globally practiced--which ofcourse they are not.

I took a speedboat all of once. The first boat I rejected because it was a dilapidated wreck and it really pissed off the dock personnel. They put me on the next one which was not much better and did not have enough life jackets and those it did have were for infants...not large farang.

After a teeth rattling ride where seating is designed only for maximum occupants and not for occupant pleasure or enjoyment, I swore to never take another speedboat trip. I far prefer the slow ferries if time allows.