Chaing Rai to Luang Prabang

lujanit

I am thinking of taking a trip on the Mekong from Houay Xai to Luang Prabang by boat. I would need to get from Chiang Rai to Houay Xai. What is the safest and most comfortable way to do this? What about accommodation as the boat leaves about 0700. I read that might be better to do the trip in reverse, Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai. Any thoughts?

There are some older threads dealing with a bus trip from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang here but nothing recent.
TIA

lujanit,

You can travel to Chiang Khong from the old bus station in downtown Chiang Rai. On the local red bus. Leaving about every hour. 65 baht.

About 5 kilometers from Chiang Khong, you can drop off at the access road intersection to the new Friendship IV Bridge crossing into Laos. The Thai Immigration about 2 kilometers from the intersection. Tuk-tuk available. You must be aware, the Thai Immigration will close on the whim of the Laos Immigration. Which, likes to close at 6:00 PM. Or, a bit later. That said, some travelers have cleared Thai Immigration at around this time and then found the Laos Immigration to be closed. Having then to return to Thailand. So, early evening crossing is problematic.

The "Slow Boat" leaves about 11:00 AM. Or, a bit later. Thus, you can also stay in Chiang Khong overnight and still make the boat, if need be.

The bus advertised for Chiang Mai/Chaing Rai to Luang Prahbang is the "999 Bus" (the government bus).

Travel is quite comfortable on the Thai side. Not so much on the Laos side. Different bus. Laos bus. Right side driving in Laos. Most of the trip in the winding mountains. And, overnight. There are old TV threads on the hardships of this run.

Reverse 'Slow Boat' trip is a bit longer. Due to the strong current of the Mekong.

And, recently a guest reported there were not enough upriver passengers on the Slow Boat from Pak Beng (sleep-over point). And, the Slowboat did not go on to Huay Xai on that day. Waiting until the next day for enough passengers. So, a three day upriver trip. But, only one report of this.

Cheers

• Like 1

Chiang Rai – Luang Prabang

Date/Month/Year

01.00 P.M

Luang Prabang – Chiang Rai

Date/Month/Year

06.00 P.M.

Fare charge:

One way (OW) 1,070 THB. / person

Roundtrip (RT) 2,140 THB. / person

(Rates are inclusive state tax & Service fees.)

OW= One way (เที่ยวเดียว), RT = Roundtrip (ไป-กลับ)

(From www.louangprabang.net )

If you can't type the information on above booking form. You can send the booking information by email: [email protected]

หากท่านประสบปัญหาในการกรอกแบบฟอร์มข้างต้น สามารถแจ้งข้อมูลการจอง ผ่านทางอีเมล์: [email protected]

More information, Please contact:

+66 2 402 5498, +856 71 254 883 (08.00 A.M – 05.30 P.M.)

Edited by Rotweiler

Rotweiler,

What was that you posted?

To go from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang requires a couple of transfers, if not change in mode of transport. I'm not even sure what mode of transport your post includes.

Jetplane, Bus, Train, Motorcycle, Slowboat, "Luxury" Cruise, Speedboat, ...Elephant, Zipline, Catapult?

Thanks for the info guys. That Travelfish article is one I had not come across so thank you for that. I don't have an itinerary yet as I was trying to get info on whether it was better to start in the south and work northwards or the other way around. The boat trip seemed like a better idea than sitting in a bus on dubious roads for the trip from Luang Prabang to the border or vv.. I don't have any firm plans for Luang Prabang yet either. Any suggestions appreciated. Time is not an issue.

I was originally going to go to Burma first and then transfer from Mandalay to Luang Prabang yet there does not seem to be an air service between the two, not at least directly. So it is probably easier just to fly home to BKK from Burma and make the Laos trip a separate one.
Edited by lujanit

You really need to spend the night in Chiang Khong the night before the boat...OR...you may want to go ahead and cross the river to the Laos side in the afternoon...you must get a Laos visa and if you do it in the afternoon you will avoid the long line and chaos of hundreds of farangs who will all try to do it early a.m....but remember once you go to Laos you will need to spend the night on that side of the river rather than back to chiang khong.

The slow boat will be packed with farangs and hard wooden seats...best to bring some snacks as not much on offer and no stops til pak ben....the next morning from pak ben to luang prabang don't be surprised if you get a different boat from the previous day. The scenery on the river is ok but not great....luang prabang is a pleasant place for a few days but has been semi overrun with tourists especially the last few years as it has been "discovered"....still lots of nice cafes along the river though.

Did the trip first time 20 years ago, it has changed a bit since but a great trip.

Book a slow boat to Luang Prabang, fast boats are uncomfortable and dangerous! Overnight in Pakbeng and now have some good accommodation nowadays.

Unlike previous poster, I found Luang Prabang is magical and have been there 8 times. Stay in the old city, pace of life is slow so take your time to enjoy it. I was back again 2 months ago and yes it is different than 20 years ago, but still wonderful. I still think it is the best preserved old city in SE Asia.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Will post some updated observations;

Rregarding boat travel Huay Xai to Luang Prabang;

Seats on the "Slow Boat" are automobile seats. Toyota, Honda, etc.. Bought from salvage yards in Thailand. No wooden seats now.

"Slow Boat" now is bigger and can seat as many as 120 passengers.

The "Slow Boat" from Huay Xai will go to Pak Beng. And, then next day, return to Huay Xai. The boat from Luang Prabang to Pak Beng does the same. Safer. Because, the captain only has to have river knowledge of half the journey.

There is only one "Slow Boat" per day. Although, a handful of boats are moored at the pier. But, a daily queue system is enforced by the Laos government.

The current "Slow Boat" pier in Luang Prabang is 10 kilometers from the city. Laos government requires the boat to moor there. Why? Ask, the Laos government. And, occasionally there is a "mutiny" of a handful of foreign passengers who remain seated on the boat trying to force the boat to take them on into Luang Prabang. An unsuccessful endeavor.

Accomodations in Pak Beng have risen in price over the last year or so.

There is quite a bit of myth about the "Speed Boat". Many years ago there was a tragic accident. A drunken meth-head driver drove at full speed into a rock. Six passengers and driver killed. Laos government stepped in and regulated the business. No deaths since. Although, Indiana Jones wannabees still like to propagate this myth, it seems to embellish their trips .

For the average foreigner stature the "Speed Boat" can be uncomfortable. A knee high seated position.

The "Slow Boat" pier in Huay Xai is about 11 kilometers upriver from the new Laos Immigration at the Friendship IV Bridge.

As to bus travel from Huay Xai;

About 15 hours overnight from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang.

The bus is a private bus. Laos government buses can only shuttle from one city and back again. Private buses can go through cities to an intended destination.

Safe travel.

• Like 1

Will post some updated observations;

Rregarding boat travel Huay Xai to Luang Prabang;

Seats on the "Slow Boat" are automobile seats. Toyota, Honda, etc.. Bought from salvage yards in Thailand. No wooden seats now.

"Slow Boat" now is bigger and can seat as many as 120 passengers.

The "Slow Boat" from Huay Xai will go to Pak Beng. And, then next day, return to Huay Xai. The boat from Luang Prabang to Pak Beng does the same. Safer. Because, the captain only has to have river knowledge of half the journey.

There is only one "Slow Boat" per day. Although, a handful of boats are moored at the pier. But, a daily queue system is enforced by the Laos government.

The current "Slow Boat" pier in Luang Prabang is 10 kilometers from the city. Laos government requires the boat to moor there. Why? Ask, the Laos government. And, occasionally there is a "mutiny" of a handful of foreign passengers who remain seated on the boat trying to force the boat to take them on into Luang Prabang. An unsuccessful endeavor.

Accomodations in Pak Beng have risen in price over the last year or so.

There is quite a bit of myth about the "Speed Boat". Many years ago there was a tragic accident. A drunken meth-head driver drove at full speed into a rock. Six passengers and driver killed. Laos government stepped in and regulated the business. No deaths since. Although, Indiana Jones wannabees still like to propagate this myth, it seems to embellish their trips .

For the average foreigner stature the "Speed Boat" can be uncomfortable. A knee high seated position.

The "Slow Boat" pier in Huay Xai is about 11 kilometers upriver from the new Laos Immigration at the Friendship IV Bridge.

As to bus travel from Huay Xai;

About 15 hours overnight from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang.

The bus is a private bus. Laos government buses can only shuttle from one city and back again. Private buses can go through cities to an intended destination.

Safe travel.

GREAT!!!! information.

In spite of the rather impolite post, a response now that we are back online - had you bothered to follow the provided link, you may have seen information on the Chiang Rai-Luang Prabang BUS, including the time it leave Chiang Rai, where it stops on route, transfers at the border, how to travel only one leg, etc.

If you would have preferred the elephant, you are too late - the last one left 400 years ago..

Rotweiler,

What was that you posted?

To go from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang requires a couple of transfers, if not change in mode of transport. I'm not even sure what mode of transport your post includes.

Jetplane, Bus, Train, Motorcycle, Slowboat, "Luxury" Cruise, Speedboat, ...Elephant, Zipline, Catapult?

How I would get from Myanmar to Luang Prabang:

Air Bagan flies Yangon to Chiang Mai on Thursday and Sunday afternoons (depart 14:20 arrive 16:10). Stay in Chiang Mai overnight (or better yet a few nights).

Lao Airlines flies daily Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang (depart 15:30 arrive 16:30). Cost with tax is about $ 170 USD.

No experience with Air Bagan, but I've flown Lao Airlines including this route and was quite satisfied with them. There are no Mandalay to Chiang Mai flights.

After some more research and taking into account info from the posters above can someone please clarify a few things for me please.

My flight from BKK will arrive in Chiang Rai about 0845. I am guessing that I cannot get to the border in time for the ferry to Luang Prabang. What are my options? Stay in Chiang Rai and leave early? Or continue on the day I arrive in Chiang Rai and take a bus to the border, even maybe cross the border and stay the night in Huay Xai. If so where to stay in Huay Xai.
Any recommendations for a hotel in Luang Prabang please?
I will spend a couple of days in Luang Prabang then work my way down to Vientiane. Any recommendations on mode of travel? Bus, boat. From Vientiane I will fly home to BKK. Time is not an issue.

Depends on your preferences. Staying in CR and leaving early probably gives you more to do (day and nite) than either Chiang Khong or Huai Xai.

From LP to VTN a Bus is probably the best option. You might want to think about staying mid way at Wang Wiang if you're into the hippie scene. Some good bars and lots if relaxing going on there. I'm not sure about the boat possibility as the river may be impassible during the dry season.

After some more research and taking into account info from the posters above can someone please clarify a few things for me please.

My flight from BKK will arrive in Chiang Rai about 0845. I am guessing that I cannot get to the border in time for the ferry to Luang Prabang. What are my options? Stay in Chiang Rai and leave early? Or continue on the day I arrive in Chiang Rai and take a bus to the border, even maybe cross the border and stay the night in Huay Xai. If so where to stay in Huay Xai.
Any recommendations for a hotel in Luang Prabang please?
I will spend a couple of days in Luang Prabang then work my way down to Vientiane. Any recommendations on mode of travel? Bus, boat. From Vientiane I will fly home to BKK. Time is not an issue.

If you plan to catch the boat from Huay Xai downriver then you really need to go to either Chiang Khong or Huay Xai the NIGHT before....to try to leave CR early a.m. and get there would be a rush and there may well be a big line in the morning on the huay xai side to get visas especially in peak season. It is already a long day without starting out from CR at the crack of dawn.

I have seen a line of a hundred or more and the Laos immigration folks were totally overwhelmed.....they were so slow in processing visas that one of the boats didn't leave til noon and then couldn't make it all the way to pak ben before dark so they pulled over on a sandbar and everyone had to sleep on the boat...not a lot of fun unless you enjoy skeeters and being very uncomfortable. Why risk it? I would just go the night before and get your visa done asap.

Vang Vien is a good semi halfway stop off point between LP and Vientienne...to go via bus all the way from LP to VN would be a very long bus ride. V V is in a beautiful area along the river song and certainly worth at least a one night stopover. It's also fun to float an innertube down the river song ...it was once a wild scene with bars every km or so but I understand most all the river bars have been closed due to too many people getting drunk and hurt trying to play tarzan or just generally being stupid.

Your only real choice of transport from V V to VN is via road...the ride is very scenic up and over some huge mountains.

Okay once more thank you. Booked to go to Chiang Rai this coming Monday. I will travel straight on to Huay Xai to sort out the visa. Find some place there to stay the night, then hopefully onto Luang Prabang the next day. I have no real itinerary planned however will surely look at spending a day in Vang Vien on my way to Vientiane. I hope there is not too much rain!

• 2 weeks later...