Cricket International Series & General Chat

Losing to both co hosts, especially Australia, was probably to be expected.

To advance they need to come at least 4th in the pool.

Even if they lose to Sri Lanka this should be possible; provided they beat Bangladesh, Scotland and Afghanistan.

Losing to any of those three would be embarrassing; but with their current form certainly possible!

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Gayle back to form with a bang. Just scored the first double hundred in World Cup history, out off the last ball for 215 against Zimbabwe. His second hundred came off only 33 balls which is just ridiculous.

Just 2 balls less than De Villiers record of one month back

16 sixes in his innings also

Chris Gayle back to form with a bang. Just scored the first double hundred in World Cup history, out off the last ball for 215 against Zimbabwe. His second hundred came off only 33 balls which is just ridiculous.

I know it was played in Canberra but don't know how big the boundaries are.

I'm starting to take some of these scores with a grain of salt to be honest.

I read today that one of the boundaries for Saturdays game against NZ at Eden Park

is just 45 metres.

That's just ridiculous. I think under 12's have 50 meter boundaries.

Big bats, lightening fast outfields and small boundaries.

What chance do the bowlers have?

Edited by Will27

I read today that one of the boundaries for Saturdays game against NZ at Eden Park

is just 45 metres.

Maunuka oval in Canberra is the same size as the MCG

The Eden park ground is too small but lots of sixes and fours make for good television of course.

Did you see De Viliers fastest one day hundred? He played some outrageous shot sin that innings.

The decreasing size of grounds with boundary ropes is definitely helping big scores, but so are some of the audacious strokes being played the last few years.

Tim SOuthee was 7/33 against England

is just 45 metres.

Maunuka oval in Canberra is the same size as the MCG

The Eden park ground is too small but lots of sixes and fours make for good television of course.

Did you see De Viliers fastest one day hundred? He played some outrageous shot sin that innings.

The decreasing size of grounds with boundary ropes is definitely helping big scores, but so are some of the audacious strokes being played the last few years.

Tim SOuthee was 7/33 against England

You make some good points there BookMan.

That's a fair size ground as long as the boundaries weren't roped off too much.

Yep, reverse sweeps for 6, ramp shots etc, the game is changing all of the time.

I watched when Southee took those wickets an he was swinging it a fair bit.

That's the trouble now, batsmen are so used to flat tracks that when the ball is

doing a bit, they can't cope. Techniques are suffering. Just look at the lack of

depth in batting in Australian cricket.

Also add in the field restrictions and I really think it's too much in the batsmens favour.

Also add in the field restrictions and I really think it's too much in the batsmens favour.

Overall I agree. It is all about bashing sixes and fours and big scores. Bowlers are being relegated to a player throwing a ball

In the future, they might have a bowling machine at each end and play 11 batsmentongue.png

Overall I agree. It is all about bashing sixes and fours and big scores. Bowlers are being relegated to a player throwing a ball

In the future, they might have a bowling machine at each end and play 11 batsmentongue.png

Aussies V NZ on Saturday will be an interesting game.

Small ground and both teams have some big hitters and a couple of decent bowlers. If Australia lost, would the washed out game (1 point) become a factor?

Small ground and both teams have some big hitters and a couple of decent bowlers. If Australia lost, would the washed out game (1 point) become a factor?

I know the top 4 go through to the finals but depending on where you finish, will probably depend on who you play, I think.

So maybe 1 v 4 in the other group but I'm not sure.

I reckon a side on these small grounds could make 500 this WC.

Another thriller from two non test sides to match, or even better, Ireland's win over UAE on Wednesday.:

Cricket World Cup: Afghanistan shock Scotland in final over

Commiserations to the Scots; and kudos to Afghanistan.

Both games appear to have been proper contests between bat and ball; rather than the big hitting contests talked about above.

De Villiers is a man in hot form..

162 not out off 66 balls! AGianst the Windies

south Africa captain AB de Villiers said he was "a bit surprised" at his big century against West Indies in the World Cup Group B encounter in Sydney, a month after he broke the record for the fastest ODI century in Johannesburg against the same opponents. His 162 not out off 66 deliveries - the fastest 150 in ODI cricket - led South Africa to a record total 408, of which 261 runs came in the last 20 overs, and the batsman credited the side's top order for setting the base for his charge.

"I'm also a bit surprised," de Villiers said after the game. "It was a very enjoyable knock today. I thought the foundation the boys laid upfront once again allowed us to free up. It's just one of those knocks when everything came my way and a little bit of luck here and there."

Fifties from Hashim Amla (65) and Faf du Plessis (62) had steered South Africa to 145 for 1 in the 30th over but both batsmen fell within three deliveries. Rilee Rossouw did not allow the dismissals to slow the pace of the innings, scoring 61 off 39 deliveries and de Villiers said that Rossouw's charge had allowed him time to settle at the crease.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/839977.html

Chores all done for the day so wife happy, chauffeur duties for youngest daughter done, half hour Dad uni daughter phone chat done, Corona's and limes cold in the fridge along with cooked chicken nibbles and mousetraps....the build up and cricket following of the Aussie v Black Caps match here in NZ is immense. We think we have a serious team with a strong shot for the first time at this World Cup but thie Aussies are the first of the big two teams with the other being the Proteas and especially AB de Villiers. Confident we will measure up, but these things can also be decided by just a missed catch or run out. Good luck to both teams. It should be an intense game.

Chores all done for the day so wife happy, chauffeur duties for youngest daughter done, half hour Dad uni daughter phone chat done, Corona's and limes cold in the fridge along with cooked chicken nibbles and mousetraps....the build up and cricket following of the Aussie v Black Caps match here in NZ is immense. We think we have a serious team with a strong shot for the first time at this World Cup but thie Aussies are the first of the big two teams with the other being the Proteas and especially AB de Villiers. Confident we will measure up, but these things can also be decided by just a missed catch or run out. Good luck to both teams. It should be an intense game.

Hopefully is a ripper

Hopefully is a ripper

Not a great start for the Aussies.

4/96 off 18 overs. Big hitters Warner, Finch and Watson all gone

EDIT" oh c.rap. 5/96 now. Maxwell out for 1.blink.png

EDIT. errrrr....9/106 now..from 22 overs... Boult 5/25

Worse humiliation than England suffered...

The Aussies were 1/80 at one stage...

Edited by BookMan

Hopefully is a ripper

Not a great start for the Aussies.

4/96 off 18 overs. Big hitters Warner, Finch and Watson all gone

EDIT" oh c.rap. 5/96 now. Maxwell out for 1.blink.png

errrrr....9/106 now..from 22 overs... Boult 5/25

Worse humiliation than England suffered...

What's going on?

Oz has lost 8 for 26w00t.gif

9 for 107.

Best game so far

I thought the Aussies had no chance.

I'll have to catch u on the highlights later.

There was some comments that Clarke erred in introducing Johnson back into the attack.?

Yeah a fair few. Probably not the best choice

Still a great game.

Best game so far

I thought the Aussies had no chance.

I'll have to catch u on the highlights later.

There was some comments that Clarke erred in introducing Johnson back into the attack.?

Yeah a fair few. Probably not the best choice

Still a great game.

Just caught up on all the highlights i could. Starc nearly won the game back for Australia. 6 for with some super bowling at the end.

Still, Kiwis deserved that.

Bangladesh now sitting above Australia in the points table

It just gets worse for England...Sri Lanka chased 300 and lost only 1 wicket

England..6/309

Sri lanka 1/312

Sri Lanka made a chase of 310 seem like a weekend stroll in the park as Kumar Sangakkaraunfurled a majestic hundred, his second of the tournament, alongside Lahiru Thirimanne's fourth ODI ton. They ensured Joe Root's hundred became merely a footnote and left England facing two must-win matches to make the quarter-finals.

The pair added 212 for the second wicket in 28.2 overs with Sangakkara racing to his hundred from 70 balls - his fastest one-day hundred - to follow his 76-ball 105 against Bangladesh at the MCG as he shredded England's attack with piercing drives, dismissive pulls and the occasional touch of deftness.

Thirimanne's century, which came from 117 balls, meant Sri Lanka's top four all have three-figure scores now. He made England pay for missing him on 3 when an outside edge was dropped by Root at first slip, although the blame has to go to Jos Buttler who started to move for the chance before bailing out.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/841005.html

Was reading today, that if Australia don't beat Sri Lanka and finish 3rd, they will more likely play Sth Africa in the

quarter final and NZ in a semi.

If they beat SR and finish 2nd, will more than likely have to play the WI and Pakistan.

So I guess it's a crunch game agaisnt SR on March 8.

I can't see Australia getting through if they lose.

A general post for anyone.

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and I have found Starsports in India to have the best range of video highlights.

Better than Skysports and Foxsports.

I agree with that. I've been using them for their hightlights package as well.

If I wasn't subscribed to ilikehd, I would sign up with them.

A general post for anyone.

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and I have found Starsports in India to have the best range of video highlights.

Better than Skysports and Foxsports.

I agree with that. I've been using them for their hightlights package as well.

If I wasn't subscribed to ilikehd, I would sign up with them.

How is the Star Sports package for reliability? Sounds pretty good from the comments. I planned to get it for the World Cup but got sucked in with the quantity of channels of 'I like HD'. I only really got it to watch the WC & every time I try to use Sky Sports 2 to watch a cricket match there are always buffering & offline problems. No way I can comfortably watch a full match without multiple disruptions. Very disappointing & annoying!!

After being hammered by South Africa early in the week (what a surprise) Ireland rode their luck again to beat Zimbabwe by 5 runs. Another win would get qualify us out of the group but last 2 games are against Pakistan and India ...gulp.

Irrespective of the outcome it has been a terrific effort from our guys beating 2 test playing nations even if they have shredded our nerves on a few occasions.?