Motorbike taxis soon to be reorganized in Pattaya

webfact

Motorbike taxis soon to be reorganized in Pattaya

CHONBURI, 26 June 2014 (NNT) - The commander of the 14th Military Circle has summoned around 2,000 motorcycle taxi operators into a meeting in Pattaya City to combat unfair practices made by motorcycle taxis and to relieve the plight of the residents within the area.

Major General Nat Inthacharoen, Commander of the 14th Military Circle, is set to implement certain measures to reduce the influence of mafia groups among motorcycle taxi services and to enforce justice into the society.

According to the Major General, Pattaya is a major tourist hub that comprises of at least one million tourists. However, there have been several problems regarding public transportation services within the area.

Problems such as unreasonable public transportation fares, poor services, and mafia groups taking advantage of residents have been common lately.

Therefore, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has assigned the 14th Military Circle and local agencies to help tackle this problem and reorganize public transportation services within the tourist area.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-26 footer_n.gif

NCPO Orders Control of Transportation Services In Pattaya

2221.jpg

PATTAYA – June 25, 2014 [PDN];- at Muang Pattaya school 8, Maj.Gen.Nat Intarajaroen-commander of 14th military circle- had chaired the opening conference of controlling motorcycle taxi riders in Pattaya which is the major policy of NCPO to reduce affliction of people. They had held a meeting in Bangkok before and Mr.Ittipol Khunpleum and about 2,000 of motorcycle taxi riders attended the meeting.

Maj.Gen.Nat revealed that Pattaya is a tourism city and as a result of this there are many kinds of transportation services such as minibus, taxis and motorcycle taxis. Recently they had been informed by passengers that there were some problems such as unfair fares and inefficient service. In addition the motorcycle taxi riders had installed their stations in public area, some operators hadn’t obeyed to strict the rules and the mafia had illegally manipulated these transportation businesses which had caused lots of problems.

Recently the NCPO had ordered the 14th military circle and local administrative office to solve and control these problems. There were 2,000 transportation operators who attended the Pattaya conference so that they could count the amount of motorcycle taxi riders and to receive feedback, opinions and comments from the operators in order to understand the rules.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/06/26/ncpo-orders-control-of-transportation-services-in-pattaya/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-06-26

• Like 2

create official taxi stands, erect tariff display boards so customers know exactly what they should be paying (as recently done in BKK) MB taxis are charging 40-60baht for short journeys here in Pattaya which quite honestly is outrageous - looking at the recent changes in BKK they are showing 20baht for the same journey. I used to pay 30baht and gave a 10baht tip and made it quite clear the 10 baht was a tip - now they expect 40baht - if I offer 30baht I'm in for an argument and if you have an extra passenger they want 80baht <deleted> is that all about

Not even going get into the baht bus rip off

The body language of the guys in the picture is eloquent biggrin.png

About the 'meter(not) taxis', I heard that they were originally meant to be for real, like the BKK ones, but the pressure and threats from the baht bus mafia were so virulent that they very soon became what they now are : a joke.

Edited by Yann55

Congraduations General Job well done Now will you please take the taxi drivers to task for trying to rip Thai and tourist passengers off . The Taxi drives come in droves after the stores close after 10 pm in the shopping district of Bangkok around Paragon and a lot and I mean a lot of drivers are looking for flat rate fares and are refuse to pick up anyone that is not willing to pay and ask for a meter. This is not only bad for tourism its bad for everyone This is real corruption It is time to crack down on this in all of the country

Hold the taxi drivers to task for trying to game the system If they do this time and time again take away their license to drive a cab. This is one of many things wrong

You have cleaned up the airport PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE General Clean up the rest and take the taxi drivers to task on this one

About the 'meter(not) taxis', I heard that they were originally meant to be for real, like the BKK ones, but the pressure and threats from the baht bus mafia were so virulent that they very soon became what they now are : a joke.

Not exactly.

That's because the fake taxi meters are OWNED by the exact same company that owns the baht bus collective. So no need for violence. They control it all.

• Like 1

What a nice dream JT.

If only!!!

Well, if improvements are ever to be made, it seems NOW is the time.

I had given up on hoping for improvement years ago (TIT and all that jazz) .. and still no reason to really be optimistic ... but it now seems not completely impossible.

Wonderful news. I just go back from Mandalay and the taxis there are cheaper, more honest and friendlier than Pattaya for sure. So much for the development and prosperity here which seems to encourage greed and dishonesty in some transport sectors.

Yesterday, my taxi driver from Don Mueang tried to get me to pay the tolls to Pattaya after we agreed on a set price. I told him he had several options. Turn around and take me back to the airport; drop me off at the next ramp in Bangkok; or stop on the shoulder so I could call the highway police. He let out an exasperate sigh and that was the end of that. Got to my destination and he got the agreed price...period.

Not exactly.

That's because the fake taxi meters are OWNED by the exact same company that owns the baht bus collective. So no need for violence. They control it all.

Hahaha ok, well, thanks for the info, JT and it makes perfect sense. Very old business trick, too... before the real competition sets in, create a fake one and make even more money while keeping the customers under the illusion that they have a wide choice ... a practise that is not limited to Thailand, we'll all agree to that, and I gather the biggest example is washing powders, most of them manufactured by one giant only (Unilever).

Edited by Yann55

For the long term, look at MASS TRANSIT.

And/or

BIGGER BUSES.

Forget about mass transit and bigger busses. That will only lead to less frequent transportation and longer distances between fixed stops.

Just get the baht busses organised in a good way, they used to be a very good system until they started to act as charterd limos.

• Like 1

I think JT has been reading some of my previous posts...

There should be many defined routes in Pattaya, (about 10 in all), Baht Buses should have clear indication of what route they a working, the routes should be regulated so that a decent service is maintained, no turning off and having to go all the way to terminating point of the route.

There are too many BB's running empty, and too many overloaded, yet with intelligent regulation of the BB's the could run smarter, use less fuel, drive less miles, less of them on the roads at any time, drivers working less hour for the same income with less outgoings.

This is not rocket science.

• Like 1

I do not beliieve it until I see it with my own eyes. When the military backs off, my prediction is that everything will be back to "normal" in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I do not beliieve it until I see it with my own eyes. When the military backs off, my prediction is that everything will be back to "normal" in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course. But if ever ... now. If not, back to NEVER. crying.gif

for all the people complaining,, i think that you should all try and do the job for a few months,, work 12 hour days for 3-400 baht and live on that,, then after that lets see what you have to say.... COMPLAINING about 10 baht??? if you were back home in your country, you would be lucky to get a taxi for 10x the price

for all the people complaining,, i think that you should all try and do the job for a few months,, work 12 hour days for 3-400 baht and live on that,, then after that lets see what you have to say.... COMPLAINING about 10 baht??? if you were back home in your country, you would be lucky to get a taxi for 10x the price

They all make over 30K - 50K monthly baht EASY. Don't believe me? Find one of the few friendly and honest ones and they will tell you.

OK, it's not easy, it's hard and soul crushing work, but sorry ... they should act like bloody BUSES and not taxis. We need two system (at least) buses AND real taxis.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

there is a very strong red mafia organisation in Pattaya which includes - MB Taxi - baht bus - jetski - boat rentals - counterfeit goods - drugs.............it needs to be cracked open starting with the administration what they are currently trying to do will not work - investigate the bank accounts will lead directly to were it's at

too soft an approach right now will yield nothing and change nothing

Edited by Rimmer

there is a very strong red mafia organisation in Pattaya which includes - MB Taxi - baht bus - jetski - boat rentals - counterfeit goods - drugs.............it needs to be cracked open starting with the administration what they are currently trying to do will not work - investigate the bank accounts will lead directly to were it's at

Strong words, Mr. Smedly. I've added my ten baht to the suggestion box here and on another thread, but I remain realistically pessimistic that the public transport using man on the street is REALLY going to see much (if any) improvement. The fact the fake taxi meters have not even been mentioned by the press at this point fuels my pessimism.

Edited by Rimmer

I think you have your estimations very wrong, if they're working 12 hour days it's more likely to be

3-4000bt a day.

I can order a cab that comes to my door rings the bell and takes me to my pub for 220 sterling - lets be clear about what we are talking about - this is Thailand right

I hear too many people making comparisons to back home and that in itself has ruined this country promoting greed and a pile of stupid people willing to pay - get a grip

Strong words, Mr. Smedly. I've added my ten baht to the suggestion box here and on another thread, but I remain realistically pessimistic that the public transport using man on the street is REALLY going to see much (if any) improvement. The fact the fake taxi meters have not even been mentioned by the press at this point fuels my pessimism.

ok here's what I think

If the man tasked to do the job is not up to the job Prayuth will replace him after a short cough - I actually have confidence in the man - I believe I am right