Thai anti-graft agency NACC releases info on politicians' assets

webfact

Poor old Charlem, a career of corruption and only 171 million to show for it. Even young Akanat who is barely out of diapers is nearly ahead of him.

Mind you, even young Oaf, Ms. Yinglucks nephew has more than Chalerm and even his two sisters. Amply Rich as it were.

Oaf has had much more than Chalerm.

Even an entire decade ago, the then 24 year-old was worth 18.03 BILLION baht, while little sis had 1.42 billion baht as a university student.

Thai PM family the richest of Thailand

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-12/14/content_2332082.htm

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poor old Charlem, a career of corruption and only 171 million to show for it. Even young Akanat who is barely out of diapers is nearly ahead of him.

Mind you, even young Oaf, Ms. Yinglucks nephew has more than Chalerm and even his two sisters. Amply Rich as it were.

Even an entire decade ago, the then 24 year-old was worth 18.03 BILLION baht, while little sis had 1.42 billion baht as a university student.

Utter rubbish and not even close. coffee1.gif

Utter rubbish and not even close. coffee1.gif

Are you saying Oaf has much more than that?

If I understand correctly, this is what the politicians themselves declared...

In order to be meaningful, it should be compared to previous governments numbers and even to other countries with a similar GDP and growth rate, I think...

In order to be meaningful, it should be compared to previous governments numbers and even to other countries

It is meaningful because it is obviously wrong.

It does not matter what other governments do or did. The present problem is this (now former) government. This is what has to be tackled.

Only here something can be done and similar crimes in the future can be prevented.

Following your discussion would mean doing nothing, just complain. "Oh everything was so bad all the time. We cannot punish this government because they did the same other governments did..." blah, blah....

In order to be meaningful, it should be compared to previous governments numbers and even to other countries with a similar GDP and growth rate, I think...

In order to be meaningful, it should be compared to previous governments numbers and even to other countries

It does not matter what other governments do or did. The present problem is this (now former) government. This is what has to be tackled.

Only here something can be done and similar crimes in the future can be prevented.

Following your discussion would mean doing nothing, just complain. "Oh everything was so bad all the time. We cannot punish this government because they did the same other governments did..." blah, blah....

You have some points and I did not elaborate:

1. I believe these figures are what these PMs themselves declared when they took office...

so it should be investigated if they declared truthfully, and then how did their wealth change when they left office.

2. Comparing to other governments and countries...

I would like to know where Thai politicians fit in compared with other unusually rich politicians (it's probably an exercise in futility)

And how much are Sutthep and Abisit worth?

2014-02-05

Democrat Partyleader Abhisit Vejjajiva declared Bt54 million.

Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of the PDRC:

Assets: Bt210 million, including Bt3.57 million bank deposits, Bt177 million worth of land and Bt26 million worth of motor vehicles.

Liabilities: Bt323 million in debt, mostly in bank loans.

More people including Pheu Thai here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702032-nacc-says-yingluck-richer-suthep-poorer/page-3#entry7395664

How refreshing to see members of the former Thai government so openly and honestly declaring their assets. In the West, such an exercise would be regarded as a waste of time and effort - since it is generally assumed that the rich, with the help of expensive financial advisers and tax lawyers, have more ways to effectively hide their wealth than ordinary folk have had hot dinners.

While on the subject of political remuneration, it is perhaps worth mentioning that there UK government front benches currently creak under the weight of more than 20 millionaires - and it is virtually unknown for any US Congressman or woman not, somehow, to end up at least a millionaire after their stint of public service.

And please don't get me started about the "swing door" perks of cushy private sector jobs handed out on both sides of the Atlantic to politicians who prove themselves sufficiently accommodating to lobbyists for banks and other businesses (Are you blushing, Tony?),

As for the General, I am sure he and the other members of the ruling junta, currently busy exposing and expunging corruption and cronyism wherever they happen to stumble across it, would be only too happy to subject themselves to the same rigorous fiscal scrutiny they rightly demand of others.

How refreshing to see members of the former Thai government so openly and honestly declaring their assets. In the West, such an exercise would be regarded as a waste of time and effort - since it is generally assumed that the rich, with the help of expensive financial advisers and tax lawyers, have more ways to effectively hide their wealth than ordinary folk have had hot dinners.

While on the subject of political remuneration, it is perhaps worth mentioning that there UK government front benches currently creak under the weight of more than 20 millionaires - and it is virtually unknown for any US Congressman or woman not, somehow, to end up at least a millionaire after their stint of public service.

And please don't get me started about the "swing door" perks of cushy private sector jobs handed out on both sides of the Atlantic to politicians who prove themselves sufficiently accommodating to lobbyists for banks and other businesses (Are you blushing, Tony?),

As for the General, I am sure he and the other members of the ruling junta, currently busy exposing and expunging corruption and cronyism wherever they happen to stumble across it, would be only too happy to subject themselves to the same rigorous fiscal scrutiny they rightly demand of others.

The NACC have been quick to announce already that it wont be necessary for the Junta to declare their Assets.

The NACC have been quick to announce already that it wont be necessary for the Junta to declare their Assets.

I think it was more a case of the NACC having no power to do so under the Martial Law in place currently.

Refreshing how? They do this asset decelerations pretty regularly, whenever they take office. Been around for a while now.

Not sure why you seem to assume honesty and openness on their part or that the rich here follow different practices than

those in the West. If anything, it is easier for the local rich and connected club to cover their tracks and snuff inquiries into

their assets and holdings. Nowhere near checks and balances in the West.

It's Oak. Rubl apparently has special dispensation to make weak jokes out of peoples names, I'm not sure you do.

It's Oak. Rubl apparently has special dispensation to make weak jokes out of peoples names, I'm not sure you do.

My dear Mr. Fab4 esq.,

the rules apply to peoples formal names. The name I was using is a nickname only.

Now please let's return to the topic of the NACC releasing some more info on politicians assets as those deemed prudent to declare. Now before you start wondering 'but what about Suthep and Abhisit', well they stepped down in November with assets revealed in February in already. The current figures are for those who linggered on a while longer as by law they could not step down or resign even if they wanted to, or at least Ms. Yingluck told us so a few times.

How about the Junta declare their assets in the interest of less corruption and transparency?

How about stop trying to divert attention away to others?

The NACC have already commented on that subject.

Now, thus thread is about the assets and increases in those assets declared by the PTP administration members.

How about concentrating the focus on that?

• Like 2

You have some points and I did not elaborate:

1. I believe these figures are what these PMs themselves declared when they took office...

so it should be investigated if they declared truthfully, and then how did their wealth change when they left office.

2. Comparing to other governments and countries...

I would like to know where Thai politicians fit in compared with other unusually rich politicians (it's probably an exercise in futility)

It might be ok to ask this questions for curiosity reasons.

But questioning like this is the standard red method to distract from their foul play instead of exhibiting it and handling it the proper way.

I saw a report as follows?:

- Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of the PDRC:

Assets: Bt210 million

The Thaugsuban family are as powerful as the Shinawatra's in Chiang Mai.

Unadulterated BS.

Assets

Suthep: alleged (without a link) 210 million baht

whereas

Thaksin: 51.9 BILLION baht

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708661-eleven-thais-make-forbes-billionaires-list/#entry7522841

Why is Mr T on the run and not Mr S. Mr S although insolvent was spending 2-5 million baht a day (About 100-150 million baht) from when his campaign started to oust Ms Y? Mr S has some , heinous crimes over his head that are not going thru the courts as quick as Mr T went in absentia?

The other point is that Mr S appears to be wanting another go as a politician, and is tecnically insolvent?

Away from the shop, although reds and yellows with cash are mates. They grew up together, and went to the same schools and uni's together. As they get older they appear to get more jealous of what is over the fence? The elites don't like to be on show so they appear to have stooges in place to do their bidding. The fight seems to be with the stooges to get a greater slice of what is on offer, and then to protect it.

Tabs, a lot of people like to keep out of these lists; they also don't refrence where they get the information from. Private companies don't like people to see what they are earning. Sometimes these lists make assumptions of earnings.

Edited by Chris Lawrence

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK, so tell me just "how" they accumulated all those assets . . . companies, businesses, gifts, shares, stocks? How exactly did they manage to get so much . . .

By not being a dummy like most people who are only envious.

Further to "bleeding the country dry"

Yinglucks assets in 2011, 541 Million baht.

In 2014, 574.3 million baht, an increase of 33.3 Million baht

An approximate increase of 6% total over 3 years.

Bear with me here, I'm going for the simplistic approach as economics is not my strong point

So allowing for the interest rate over that period ( the website http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/interest-rate, quotes an average of 2.48% between 2000 and 2014)

thailand-interest-rate.png?s=btrr1day&d1

it doesn't look as though she was "emptying the treasury" does it?

As I said, Economics is not my strong point so if there's anything amiss I'm sure someone will tell me, I'm willing to learn.

That assumes her assets are all cash? Also I think if you check you get less interest here in Thailand if you have over 1million earning interest and then there would be the 15% tax due on that interest.

And 33.3 million is more that the average interest over that period, especially as her assets are not all cash.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK, so tell me just "how" they accumulated all those assets . . . companies, businesses, gifts, shares, stocks? How exactly did they manage to get so much . . .

By not being a dummy like most people who are only envious.

One word sprang to mind when I read your post ... "naive" ...

Plodprasop Suraswadi; he was the science and technology minister and did a sparkling job as impersonator of long gone performers; remember the following picture?

attachicon.gif945628_509887629060928_1549254044_n.jpg

Assume that hence the increase in wealth is explained as the reward for his undying endeavours in keeping the culture, science and technology up.

His professional background is fishery management (not fishy; clean your glasses, will you!).

He declared assets of approx. EUR 23 million when he took office in September 2011 - all afore-mentioned as per Wikipedia's German page (no English page available!). And guess what, his gain were a mere THB 20 millions; if he would have kept his loose change in EUR his account would read THB 1.015 billion - only!

Isn't he the propeller guy? I.e. who wanted to use boats to push out the overflowing rivers?

Plodprasop Suraswadi; he was the science and technology minister and did a sparkling job as impersonator of long gone performers; remember the following picture?

attachicon.gif945628_509887629060928_1549254044_n.jpg

Assume that hence the increase in wealth is explained as the reward for his undying endeavours in keeping the culture, science and technology up.

His professional background is fishery management (not fishy; clean your glasses, will you!).

He declared assets of approx. EUR 23 million when he took office in September 2011 - all afore-mentioned as per Wikipedia's German page (no English page available!). And guess what, his gain were a mere THB 20 millions; if he would have kept his loose change in EUR his account would read THB 1.015 billion - only!

Isn't he the propeller guy? I.e. who wanted to use boats to push out the overflowing rivers?

Yes.

That was actually not a bad idea, though.

Gave foreigners a lot to talk about while waiting for the slowly approaching flood.

smile.png

• Like 1

I saw a report as follows?:

- Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of the PDRC:

Assets: Bt210 million

The Thaugsuban family are as powerful as the Shinawatra's in Chiang Mai.

Unadulterated BS.

Assets

Suthep: alleged (without a link) 210 million baht

whereas

Thaksin: 51.9 BILLION baht

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708661-eleven-thais-make-forbes-billionaires-list/#entry7522841

Why is Mr T on the run and not Mr S.

You'll have to ask them.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of the comparison posted above.

I think the article failed to point out how government officials got to mass personal wealth of hundreds of millions of baht, it just states their wealth.

Forget corporate and professional careers....join the government to become millionaires....