Thailand's aviation business enjoys sustained growth

webfact

Aviation business enjoys sustained growth
By Digital Content

14038481006725.jpg

BANGKOK, June 27 -- Thailand’s aviation business continues to enjoy sustained growth during the first eight months of the current fiscal year 2014, said Makin Petplai, president of Airports of Thailand Public Co, Ltd (AoT).

Mr Makin said the number of passengers using airports in Thailand totalled about 60 million from last October 1 to this May 31, up 4.2 per cent from the same period of fiscal 2013, while 419,000 commercial airlines used airports under the AoT, an increase of 13.2 per cent.

The increase was in line with continued growth worldwide which expanded between 4.5 – 5 per cent, he said.

The aviation industry in Asia-Pacific recorded at 6.5 per cent growth.

It is projected that the number of passengers would rise between 2 – 3 per cent this year, said Mr Makin, adding that his office has cooperated with several tourism businesses including the Tourism Authority of Thailand to persuade more foreign tourists to visit Thailand.

As it is projected that the aviation industry, especially in Asia and the Pacific region, would continue to enjoy sustained growth, Mr Makin said facilities at airports such as Bangkok’s Don Mueang which caters to domestic airlines has been improved, allowing it to handle as many as 30 million passengers, while Suvarnabhumi International Airport could cater to a maximum of 45 million.

AoT has also submitted urgent plans to its board and the National Council for Peace and Order on investing for the expansion of Suvarnabhumi International Airport Phase 2 and shortening the construction to 58 months from the 70 months projected earlier, said Mr Makin.

Construction on the expansion at the air ort, worth Bt62 billion, is scheduled to commence this December, he added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-27

AoT estimates an increase in passengers; promises 2nd phase of Suvarnabhumi airport

BANGKOK, 27 June 2014 (NNT) - The Airports of Thailand (AoT) managing director estimates that the number of passengers and flights in the fiscal year 2014 is likely to increase by about 4.2% while reaffirming action on the second phase of Suvarnnabhumi International Airport as planned.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) managing director Mekhin Phretphlai revealed that the global aviation industry has continuous growth in the number of passengers of approximately 4.5-5%. The growth in the Asia Pacific region is 6.5% while Thailand is expected to achieve 2-3% growth. The number of passengers using the six airports under the AoT during the period October 2013 - May 2014 was 60,342,046 people, an increase of 4.2%. Of that number, 24,584,953 people were domestic passengers while the other 35,757,093 were international passengers, which was reduced by 1.84% due to the political situation. There was a total of 419,363 flights. Meanwhile, it is believed that the number of passengers will rise in 2015 due to the AEC opening and will edge up to 100 million people in 2016.

Given the estimated higher number of passengers, AoT has to improve the airports' capacity to handle the growth. So far, the AoT has proposed details of strategies and key projects to the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) for approval. One of them is the second phase of the Suvarnabhumi airport development which was initially planned to start near the end of this year with a timeline of 58 months for construction. Meanwhile, AoT is operating as normal.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-27 footer_n.gif

If this is so, than whey TG in the red crapper for 2.6 billions baht losses?

Poor management, excessive uncontrolled overheads, slowness to adapt to a changing market (emergence of LCCs) & ignoring their customers ? wink.png

It ought to be impossible, for the national-carrier of a global leading tourist-destination, to fail to make money, but TG deliver ! facepalm.gif

Meanwhile I look forward to TAT actually delivering Swamp's 3rd-runway & phase-2 overflow-terminal on time. As if ! Cue continuing push-back of promised deadlines ! laugh.png

Is it only me, or is anyone else getting sick and tired of hearing this word "sustained" / "sustainable"?

It has replaced the requirement for using more direct and concise words so that idiots can sound like the rest of the idiots out there.

Whatever happened to balanced, moderate, effective, reliable, consistent, etc.

Sheesh!

They weren't sustainable any morecheesy.gif

• Like 2

They're "enjoying." These Thais, they are something else. They know how to enjoy, but are they happy? It is happiness that we want to see developing.

Is this supposed to be some sort of a pun on your part? Because if you are a native English speaker your comment shows you to be shockingly illiterate. "Enjoy" here means "to benefit from something positive." In this instance that would be "sustained growth" (of the aviation business).

Understand? The implementation has absolutely nothing to do with Thais having pleasure. It is a literary tool. A team 'enjoys' a winning streak. An airplane flight 'enjoys' a rapid trip due to tail winds.

Sanctimonious and judgemental- based entirely on arrogance and ignorance. :bah:

• Like 1

Question for Bender. We know Thai Air losing lot of money up to last week, please tell us what has happened that they are booming this week, does not mention Thai Air in this article.

Look at Thai Airlines own reports its pretty sorry reading as regards passenger loads. I can only really comment on UK-BKK travel and frankly they are the most expensive. With THY now promoting heavily Europe to Asia via IST they just don't know how to respond.

http://thai.listedcompany.com/statistic.html

• Like 1

Is it only me, or is anyone else getting sick and tired of hearing this word "sustained" / "sustainable"?

It has replaced the requirement for using more direct and concise words so that idiots can sound like the rest of the idiots out there.

Whatever happened to balanced, moderate, effective, reliable, consistent, etc.

Sheesh!

They weren't sustainable any morecheesy.gif

Obvious really---wasn't it?clap2.gif

They're "enjoying." These Thais, they are something else. They know how to enjoy, but are they happy? It is happiness that we want to see developing.

Is this supposed to be some sort of a pun on your part? Because if you are a native English speaker your comment shows you to be shockingly illiterate. "Enjoy" here means "to benefit from something positive." In this instance that would be "sustained growth" (of the aviation business).

Understand? The implementation has absolutely nothing to do with Thais having pleasure. It is a literary tool. A team 'enjoys' a winning streak. An airplane flight 'enjoys' a rapid trip due to tail winds.

Sanctimonious and judgemental- based entirely on arrogance and ignorance. bah.gif

Go and have a coffee techboy-----you'll feel a lot bettercoffee1.gif

Saw an ad from Thai on Astro the other day, it was filmed in a airplane with hostesses serving food and drinks and declining seats midair, but there was not a single passenger in the whole ad.

Maybe they are getting used to it .

Bringing Thai Airways in on the topic.

Yesterday I went to my travel shop in Udon enquiring re---BKK to LHR.

Lowest fare Lufthansa---31,000 baht return

British Airways 37,000

Eva Air 39,000

Etihad/ Emirates approx. same at 42,000

Thai Airways promotion fare------46,000 baht. this is the reason why Thai are losing out, you cannot give poorish service and be one of the most expensive, They have to compete, not forgetting the agent said Thai was on a limited 2 week duration promotion. Get your act together Thai or BOW OUT.

Thai normal economy fare the agent said was way over 50,000.

The aviation figures could therefore be double for Thai if they were in amongst the rest.

I booked Lufthansa,via Frankfurt with only 1 hour at Frankfurt---this is how to do it Thai.

Yet TG has the highest prices. Where is the money going.

More overpaying of the elite bosses I suspect.

I am a Royal Orchid member but usually fly other Star Alliance members.

I only flew Thai because of the non-stop flights from L.A to Bangkok, everyday. Now they do not have the nonstop but charge the same price and only fly 3 times a week. i paid the higher price because of the non-stop portion but now, they are on the end of the line. Still will not lower prices so time to shut them down.. no more black paint either!!! no management skills whatsoever!!!! wai2.gif

• Like 1

They would have a lot more business if they put an airport at Mukdahan.

Likewise IF IF Thai Airways could get a direct flight to Manchester UK. and be realistic with their fares (example 35,000 baht return) they would rake in near all Emirates and Etihads customers, with decent service of course.

And the Thai Airways response to increased competition and a difficult market? INCREASE the miles required for award tickets in its frequent flyer program. They are insane.

This shower could not run the Thai raffle. earlier post of mine gives this weeks prices --- here tells the tale of shocking running of a business.

Wow many people in this thread didn't even bother to read the article. This news story has NOTHING to do with Thai Airways.

You may well be right, because Thai Airways have NOT got sustained growth. With Thai being the national airline, I thought they may come into the category of Thailands aviation business, but I will apologize if it doesn't.

Unless you wish to talk off topic.

• Like 1