Court approves bigger cigarette warnings

Lite Beer

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures don't have much effect.

Price and public awareness does.

Put the price up at £7.00 as in UK and put some public advertising against smoking.

That will work.

And I am a smoker.

Yes....so beside the drug mafia we'll also get a cigarette mafia who sell bad fake but cheap cigarettes to people

I thought we already did.. The 'UK duty paid' stamps on tobacco products?

Hmmmmmm, why haven't they put pictures of dead folk with crushed heads on lamp posts to get folk to wear crash hats ?

Well the BiB do nothing do they......coffee1.gif

PS. The poor of this country have very little pleasure, for many a ciggy is their only pleasure.

Oh stop already with the "cigarettes, the poor man's only friend" thing. It's tired. It's weird. It's lame.

I can never understand all these warnings. If the stupid morons want to smoke why not encourage them ? The Governments earn a lot of revenue from taxes with the sale of cigarettes. My only proviso is that no Government money should be spent on medical care for anyone who smokes in state hospitals – they have to pay themselves.

Correct,and accident victims who are to blame by not wearing a crash helmet,and alcohol related illnesses and sexually transmitted deceases and those involved in high risk sports and building accidents if the workers aren't wearing safety equipment and anybody who is overweight,in fact anybody who steps out onto the street.

1- accident victims who are to blame by not wearing a crash helmet,

At least they are going somewhere....

2- and alcohol related illnesses

At least, they are getting some light euphoria

3-.and sexually transmitted deceases

At least, they are getting one heavy euphoria...

4-.-.and those involved in high risk sports

At least , they are getting a thrill

5-.and building accidents if the workers aren't wearing safety equipment

At least they are building SOMETHING

6-.and anybody who is overweight, in fact anybody who steps out onto the street.

At least one is obliged to eat, some just a bit too much...

Not just filthy habits that offers nothing in return, and that everyone around have to submit to..

Hmmmmmm, why haven't they put pictures of dead folk with crushed heads on lamp posts to get folk to wear crash hats ?

PS. The poor of this country have very little pleasure, for many a ciggy is their only pleasure.

Oh stop already with the "cigarettes, the poor man's only friend" thing. It's tired. It's weird. It's lame.

So why were soldiers in our big wars issued cigarettes.......?

Reply please............thumbsup.gif

Why?

If you had said, "GIs have very little pleasure; for many a ciggy is their only pleasure", I'd have said the same thing. A pleasure that kills is just an invitation to Russian roulette. Troll somewhere else.

Why?

If you had said, "GIs have very little pleasure; for many a ciggy is their only pleasure", I'd have said the same thing. A pleasure that kills is just an invitation to Russian roulette. Troll somewhere else.

The troll card laugh.png , cos you have noooo answer laugh.png . Is my spelling OK for the other card.

If you have never smoked then you would not understand about "comfort zone". If you have smoked YOU are always the ones who slag something off you MISS....rolleyes.gif

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Why?

The troll card laugh.png , cos you have noooo answer laugh.png . Is my spelling OK for the other card.

If you have never smoked then you would not understand about "comfort zone". If you have smoked YOU are always the ones who slag something off you MISS....rolleyes.gif

In its day it was perceived as one of life pleasures.

Ironically, distributing american brands to GIs did more to spread American blended cigarettes globally than any advertising campaign.

Well yes, bit like the McDonald's story. smile.png

More so.

Think about it. In Europe at a time when there were no cigsrette, the average GI was handing them out willy nilly.

Camels, Chesterfields and all the rest. A true gift of freedom. Lol. Marlboros barely existed then. And the global growth of these brands spiked massively after WW2 and Vietnam.

No one else in the world smoked american blends except Americans.

Edited by Thai at Heart

"In line with the regulation, pictorial warnings must now cover at least 85 per cent of space on the two largest sides of each package."

Newsflashy - newsflashy - newsflashy

Tobacco Companies have hired mathematicians to come up with a way to diminish the impact of the court decision. Changing to more 'cube' size packages is seen by some as a solution. The disadvantage of no longer being able to fit a package in a pants or shirt pocket is not seen as an insurmountable problem as people also got used to fondle slabs with the right advertisement.

Tongue-in-cheeky

More so.

Think about it. In Europe at a time when there were no cigsrette, the average GI was handing them out willy nilly.

Camels, Chesterfields and all the rest. A true gift of freedom. Lol. Marlboros barely existed then. And the global growth of these brands spiked massively after WW2 and Vietnam.

Because they were free.

A long time ago when I was a kid in England, we had shops that just sold cigs and tobacco. Near everyone smoked. A zillion brands of English cigs were on the shelf. Nothing to do with USA influence. Uni guys thought it cool to smoke a pipe, women thought it cool to light up.

Smoking in England was brought to our shores by Sir Walter Raliegh probably 500 years back.

More so.

Because they were free.

A long time ago when I was a kid in England, we had shops that just sold cigs and tobacco. Near everyone smoked. A zillion brands of English cigs were on the shelf. Nothing to do with USA influence. Uni guys thought it cool to smoke a pipe, women thought it cool to light up.

Smoking in England was brought to our shores by Sir Walter Raliegh probably 500 years back.

You do understand that today american cigarette companies have a truly global presence that was inadvertantly enabled partly by war campaigns.

The only two places in the world smoking British blends is UK and China.

There are few English brands left now. Mainly cos folk kicked the habit or brands were bought out, similar to car stuff. Cannot blame the USA for selling cigs. The consumer buys what it wants, whether USA or English or from anywhere.

English were smoking before the USA even existed. The English and USA were at the forefront of motor car building a while back, now the Japs control it. Can't blame the Japs can we.

There are few English brands left now. Mainly cos folk kicked the habit or brands were bought out, similar to car stuff. Cannot blame the USA for selling cigs. The consumer buys what it wants, whether USA or English or from anywhere.

English were smoking before the USA even existed. The English and USA were at the forefront of motor car building a while back, now the Japs control it. Can't blame the Japs can we.

You are missing my point. There are 3 styles of blends, one of which is American blends. Prior to ww2, British blends dominated, and the war gave a massive boost to American blends. Japanese cigarettes are American blends.

I can't imagine where they got a palate for that type of blend.

More so.

Because they were free.

and we are still alive. Strange that it is said that people are living longer these days,lots of 80 year old's around and yet these people grew up in a smoking environment,in the home,in the cinema,in hospitals even,in pubs,in restaurants and cafes,there was no limit and yet here they are 80 years old. I am not saying smoking is healthy far from it but a lot of things get exaggerated. Smoking is bad for you,second hand smoke is bad for you and now 3rd hand smoke is bad for you. So are diesel fumes so are car exhaust fumes so are lots of chemicals used in the food industry.Evangelists have settled on to smokers,easier to attack i suppose than the car or/and the food industry

• Like 1

"In line with the regulation, pictorial warnings must now cover at least 85 per cent of space on the two largest sides of each package."

Newsflashy - newsflashy - newsflashy

Tobacco Companies have hired mathematicians to come up with a way to diminish the impact of the court decision. Changing to more 'cube' size packages is seen by some as a solution. The disadvantage of no longer being able to fit a package in a pants or shirt pocket is not seen as an insurmountable problem as people also got used to fondle slabs with the right advertisement.

Tongue-in-cheeky

Actually not a bad idea. Make them sell in odd shaped packages such as coke type cans which one will have to carry in their hands. Add some stuff to make the mouth smell and taste much more terrible and induce vomitting. Every classroom in school and college should have a collage of these horrible pictorials on ciggy packs.

And as it has been said, many of the aggressive anti-smoking nazis could be ex-smokers, perhaps feeling bitter about all those wasted years, and wondering if such tough measures could have helped them to quit earlier or never have got addicted to the drug, so what is the problem about that?

I can never understand all these warnings. If the stupid morons want to smoke why not encourage them ? The Governments earn a lot of revenue from taxes with the sale of cigarettes. My only proviso is that no Government money should be spent on medical care for anyone who smokes in state hospitals – they have to pay themselves.

Correct,and accident victims who are to blame by not wearing a crash helmet,and alcohol related illnesses and sexually transmitted deceases and those involved in high risk sports and building accidents if the workers aren't wearing safety equipment and anybody who is overweight,in fact anybody who steps out onto the street.

Are you both against education then? I believe if ignorant people can be enlightened for their benefit, they should be. Should ignorant women who smoke during their pregnancy be told of the birth defects that this can and often does cause? Should people be advised that cigarette manufacturers add nicotine to the small amount found naturally in tobacco, making their product more addictive? Cigarrete add campaigns target young people who are often not as cognizant as an older person might be, that they are being played for a fool.

I say yes, people should be informed of the risks of smoking.

I can never understand all these warnings. If the stupid morons want to smoke why not encourage them ? The Governments earn a lot of revenue from taxes with the sale of cigarettes. My only proviso is that no Government money should be spent on medical care for anyone who smokes in state hospitals they have to pay themselves.

Are you both against education then? I believe if ignorant people can be enlightened for their benefit, they should be. Should ignorant women who smoke during their pregnancy be told of the birth defects that this can and often does cause? Should people be advised that cigarette manufacturers add nicotine to the small amount found naturally in tobacco, making their product more addictive? Cigarrete add campaigns target young people who are often not as cognizant as an older person might be, that they are being played for a fool.

Just wait. When smoking rates start falling, just watch when cancer rates don't start reducing in ratio.

Then what are they going to start educating us about ? Diesel engines ? Combustion engines? Small particulate dust from engines?

But then that might put millions out of a job. You think the car industry is going to.pay?

I can never understand all these warnings. If the stupid morons want to smoke why not encourage them ? The Governments earn a lot of revenue from taxes with the sale of cigarettes. My only proviso is that no Government money should be spent on medical care for anyone who smokes in state hospitals they have to pay themselves.

Just wait. When smoking rates start falling, just watch when cancer rates don't start reducing in ratio.

Then what are they going to start educating us about ? Diesel engines ? Combustion engines? Small particulate dust from engines?

But then that might put millions out of a job. You think the car industry is going to.pay?

This is at odds with your claim:

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/newsfromnci/2012/TobaccoControlCISNET

'Nearly 800,000 deaths prevented due to declines in smoking' article of the US based National Cancer Institute.

Regarding your second point, 'smog' is cited by some as being the second leading cause of lung cancer, after smoking. Yes, people should be informed and warned of this as well.

This is at odds with your claim:

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/newsfromnci/2012/TobaccoControlCISNET

'Nearly 800,000 deaths prevented due to declines in smoking' article of the US based National Cancer Institute.

Regarding your second point, 'smog' is cited by some as being the second leading cause of lung cancer, after smoking. Yes, people should be informed and warned of this as well.

Please . I hope they ban it. And then wonder how odd cases of lung cancer pop up. Causality between second hand smoke is hardly proven anywhere. While, gas guzzlers contineu chugging out rubbish

I completely agree with you. Us old codgers who grew up in a society that not only tolerated smoking but actually encouraged it are hooked already, no point in trying to make our lives difficult. It has been said that giving up smoking long term is harder than an addict giving up heroin.

It should be made illegal to smoke now for the up coming generation. I would like to see the same amount of evangelistic zeal against exhaust fumes,especially for diesel and for chemical additives in food and against the over use of sugar and the over use of antibiotics and the over fishing of the oceans and the deforestation of the worlds forests and the general pollution of the air we breath. With increasing technology we are able to measure harmful substances in ever minute amounts, ( harmful 3rd hand smoke for instance ) so alarm bells are rung prematurely just about everywhere,it just gets exaggerated.

I don't know about England,i haven't been there for over 45 years or more, but in Germany you aren't allowed to wash your car on the street anymore for fear that minute amounts of oil could be washed into the water drainage canals,hardly matches up to the millions and millions of tons of crude oil that was sunk into the Atlantic in the 2nd world war or the thousands,perhaps millions of tons that are lost in the sea to oil drilling accidents or the deliberate washing out of tanks by freighters on the high seas,go for the little man it's easier,end smoking the panacea for all the worlds ills.

Edited by soalbundy

Funny how the smoker's argument so often is, "but look how bad <fill in the blank> is!" (smog, internal combustion engines, fossil fuels, booze, factory exhaust, junk food, sugary drinks, too much tv, not enough exercise, conservative politics, FOX News, 'W', too much time on this forum, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., ...). Lol. Hardly a justification for smoking. Just a lame attempt to distract the easily distracted from the matter actually under discussion...

I actually don't get the motivation. Do you think we're all going to write letters to our politicians demanding tobacco taxes be lowered, restrictions on public smoking be lifted, advertising bans rescinded..... The game's already over; the cards already all played. The trend is not your friend... The topic of this thread is just another example; and there'll be more with time.

Funny how the smoker's argument so often is, "but look how bad <fill in the blank> is!" (smog, internal combustion engines, fossil fuels, booze, factory exhaust, junk food, sugary drinks, too much tv, not enough exercise, conservative politics, FOX News, 'W', too much time on this forum, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., ...). Lol. Hardly a justification for smoking. Just a lame attempt to distract the easily distracted from the matter actually under discussion...

I actually don't get the motivation. Do you think we're all going to write letters to our politicians demanding tobacco taxes be lowered, restrictions on public smoking be lifted, advertising bans rescinded..... The game's already over; the cards already all played. The trend is not your friend... The topic of this thread is just another example; and there'll be more with time.

I didn't justify smoking,i said stop exaggerating,there are more evils in the world you can jump on,i merely widened your choice,enriched your life so to speak.

• Like 1

You watch,the way scientists, doctors, and nutritionists have been getting things wrong lately, they'll be handing out packets of ciggy's to school children soon,realizing that they had been wrong all along,smoking is good for you after all. Watch Hawkers nickers get twisted now.

Edited by soalbundy

What you should realise is that the tobacco industry has probably been a popular whippping boy whilst the truth about other industries has been passed over .

Cigarettes are bad.

Plenty of other powerful industries are bad too. Just wait.