Many top officials shown the door

Lite Beer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only a few of those names are known to me, but they are regarded as courageous, capable and professional civil servants. Let's hope their appointments are indicative of a general move to strengthen the bureaucracy. The names that are welcomed include Supa Piyajitti, Chutima Bunyaprapasara, Areepong Bhoocha-oom, Somchai Sujjapongse, ML Panadda Diskul, Panu Uthairat. Colleagues who know about these matters say the bureaucracy at the senior level has been pretty moribund for several years, so let's see what happens next.

Define courageous in these politicians. Did they stand up to their own party and decry the fraud waste and graft? Just what did they do? Or did they just allow things to go by in the typical Thai status quo. Just what does any pencil pusher do that can be considered courageous?

You do understand, don't you, that we are talking about civil servants, not politicians?

So that makes just the last part of your post relevant. Yes, some pen pushers are indeed courageous in the face of heavy political pressure. Google Supa for one.

• Like 1

The famous inactive post has always been the laughing stock of farangs here. In the real

world if you screw up, you are told to get out and be careful of the door hitting your ass.

So if Prayuth cleans out every government official and puts them in an inactive post that

still is paid, and hires new non corrupt people, he is in effect doubling the cost of the

government. So I say give them boot. Beside that will help keep the new people in line.

Right now the punishment for wrong doing is a desk with no work and full pay.

What kind of bizarre punishment is that ???

You have to wonder. Do corrupt politicians deserve to have face saving demotions? if they have been corrupt they should be named and shamed. end of.

Deserve? No of course not. However, the embers are still smouldering around the country, better to dowse with water than petroleum!

the embers are still smouldering around the country

Had you said that about 2010. I would have understood that comment. But the general moved in before the fire was lit. I would also say that the politicians are running scared. I seriously doubt that the likes of Tarit or Chalerm for that matter have such a following to create any embers! I doubt that even the grass roots followers of the UDD are that interested in a confrontation with the Army.

Yes there are a few fanatics, but they have or will be neutralised. I doubt that there is any real hatred for the Military for the coup quite the opposite. the best way to show these corrupt politicians that they are out is to kick them out. Even thinking they could somehow change their attitude is wrong thinking. They should be made an example of, if only to warn future politicians that if they are corrupt they will be banned from politics. And that should be for life.

You're probably right, it was probably more of a case of the ease in which you can reshuffle, compared to going straight in for sacking or charging. Along with a desire not to look too bolshy to the world, cabinet reshuffles etc are common here - easy to get away with - arresting or firing top officials and ministers (bearing in mind the abysmal understanding of the world's media already) will not win any friends. Once in inactive and unprotected posts, they are easier to fire and prosecute - and the world would care less about a crooked adviser getting the heave-ho.

I'm pretty sure if the General thought he could get away with sacking and/or arresting the likes of Tarit then he would have; I think he is playing a longer, more careful and subtle game. Bide his time to gather evidence and tote up assets etc.

• Like 1

This purge is the Shine's Kristallnacht in this modern world, hopefully something

good will come out of it all.....( no disrespect intended to the original event)

It seems you do not know a lot about history. "Reichs Kristallnacht" is definitively the wrong event to be compared with the current situation in Thailand. Better say nothing than.....

Fatfather

Maybe -ezzra- meant that event "Night of the long knives.", but it fits also not, as it was a brutal

and bloody event and nothing good came out of it also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Long_Knives

Edited by ALFREDO

Only a few of those names are known to me, but they are regarded as courageous, capable and professional civil servants. Let's hope their appointments are indicative of a general move to strengthen the bureaucracy. The names that are welcomed include Supa Piyajitti, Chutima Bunyaprapasara, Areepong Bhoocha-oom, Somchai Sujjapongse, ML Panadda Diskul, Panu Uthairat. Colleagues who know about these matters say the bureaucracy at the senior level has been pretty moribund for several years, so let's see what happens next.

Define courageous in these politicians. Did they stand up to their own party and decry the fraud waste and graft? Just what did they do? Or did they just allow things to go by in the typical Thai status quo. Just what does any pencil pusher do that can be considered courageous?

You do understand, don't you, that we are talking about civil servants, not politicians?

So that makes just the last part of your post relevant. Yes, some pen pushers are indeed courageous in the face of heavy political pressure. Google Supa for one.

Political appointed civil servants are nothing more that politicians that weren't voted on. I can't see how Supa Piyajitti can be considered courageous, she is trying to ferret out the problems with the rice buying scheme, but do you think anyone will go to jail or lose much of their ill gotten gains? I wouldn't hold my breath