How to clear and collect imported household goods after moving here

Hi,

I tried the search but couldn't really find anything that answers my question so I thought I'd start a new topic.

I recently moved to BKK and arranged for two large boxes of items to be air freighted over. They were supposed to hang onto them for a few weeks in the UK so I would be in my new condo before they arrived. Well it seems they jumped the gun and I got an email just now to say they will be arriving in Thailand tomorrow.

I need to go to the airport to clear the items through customs and then get them to my condo. I was originally supposed to move in at the end of the week but i'm now trying to bring it forward so I can take the boxes directly to my new place.

So questions are:

1. How long can I leave the boxes after arrival before I have to collect them? Do I need to go on the day they land or do I get a few days to arrange things
  2. Where do I go? I spent a while searching the web for just where I go at BKK airport to do this but couldn't find a thing.
  3. How easy is it to arrange transport from the customs back to BKK? I reckon the boxes might fit in one of those estate taxis. Would a taxi driver take it or should I be looking for a guy with a pickup to do it for me
  4. If anyone has had to do this before how long is it likely to take? Will they have already inspected the box contents or will they wait for me to turn up before they do?
  5. If anyone has any extra advice on things to think of or watch out for, please let me know

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are they in your name ,or a Thai name? if they are in yours you may end up paying import duty ,tax ect

In my name. I'm moving here for work and should be getting my work permit tomorrow. As I understand it I'm allowed one shipment duty free under 1 year visa with work permit. At least that's what the rules on the Thai customs website says. What actually happens on the day is anyone's guess.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

So a reread of the email I got sent by my shipping agent has revealed a shipping agent this end (shipco transport) so I'll contact them tomorrow. Hopefully that will answer most of my questions.

Still appreciate any helping hand anyone can give.

Yes, it's far better in most cases to allow your clearing agent to deal with customs. They'll know what's required and they will more efficiently get everything processed and probably arrange to have it delivered to you.

They'll definitely need all your documents related to the visa you used to enter the country and work related info. When I had my things cleared they needed to have my passport ... not a photocopy ... to present to Customs along with a reasonably itemized list of what's in the shipment. Generally best to declare everything as used household goods and personal effects.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Yes, it's far better in most cases to allow your clearing agent to deal with customs. They'll know what's required and they will more efficiently get everything processed and probably arrange to have it delivered to you.

They'll definitely need all your documents related to the visa you used to enter the country and work related info. When I had my things cleared they needed to have my passport ... not a photocopy ... to present to Customs along with a reasonably itemized list of what's in the shipment. Generally best to declare everything as used household goods and personal effects.

The Duty Free privilege applies only to "Household effects" NOT "Personal effects" :

http://www.customs.g...useholdeffects

"Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties. Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects and cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects. NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief."

Patrick

On closer inspection it says

"Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand"

These items are not travelling with me. They were shipped separately. Many other pages say used personal effects are fine. So unless the rules have changed very recently I think it might just be confusing wording.

The Duty Free privilege applies only to "Household effects" NOT "Personal effects" :

http://www.customs.g...useholdeffects

"Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties. Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects and cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects. NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief."

Patrick

nevermind what the customs web site says,its what the agent says.hope you made a complete list of everything that is in the boxes,otherwise you might find that they have been opened.as for collection I think you must have an agent because you are not allowed in the customs area.

I gave a pretty comprehensive list of what was in there. I'm about to give the Thai shipping agent a call.

The only issue is I was meant to get my work permit today. But the agency the company I work for hired to sort it out seems to have stopped replying to my emails. So I don't know if I can start work tomorrow let alone collect my shipped items.

Whatever you do , do it quickly since most likely your shipment is sitting in a bonded customs warehouse and if not taken out immediately you will be subject to storage charges that may exceed the value of the shipment very quickly

How much customs duty you are going to have to pay is entirely dependent upon which customs agent is assigned to your shipment, since that person will decide what is covered by customs "rules"

I shipped a 20 feet container with household (used personal items only) by sea a few years ago. Made a very detailled packing list and stated values. Had an agent in BKK to do customs clearence, they needed my passport and visa-extension/work-permit, they suggested I paid a small "overtime fee" to customs, everything worked smooth within a few hours and only one smaller cardbord carton had been slightly opened in a corner (yes, the customs did check the consignment during the normal workday overtime wink.png ) and a minor bill of duty and vat had to be paid.

I will recommend OP to use an agent, who can arrange (eventually overtime, but probably not on 2 boxes only) storage and transportation as well...

Edited by khunPer

Call the company and ask them, they will be able to answer the questions better than anyone here as far as how long they will hold your items and daily storage charge if any. I had a box delivered with "personal items" listed as the contents by ship rather than air. I went to the office of the import company that received it paid them got the paperwork and they sent me to a warehouse facility where paid the customs duty and picked up the item. I never went to the port where it arrived, I imagine your boxes are not at the airport any longer. Again, call the company and ask them.

Be careful and check everything you had sent is in there. I had an engraved pewter whisky hip flask that I received as part of a retirement gift and one (or more) of the thieving bar stewards purloined it from one of the packages, but that was at the shipping area and not the airport.