Bike modifications in thailand?

Aztech300

Hopefully getting a cbr500r in the next week or two, anyways I was curious as to what the law are on small modifications such as Vinyl sticker kit? (NOTE: I'm not going to change the colour of the fairing just wipe out the original vinyl and put a customer vinyl kit on the bike itself will still be the original colour)

apart from that I'm also going to ask about Exhaust? Akaprovic, Yoshi are they illegal to have or will I have issues with the thai police IF they have a certificate of being road legal and will they listen to this note or will they just be typical thai police and fine you anyways? (I'm thai so not meaning it in a racist manner but are thai police going to be more lenient on their own people rather then farangs?

This is the kit I'll be putting on my cbr500r looks pretty damn sexy.

Dy2m94H.jpg

• Like 1

Is they're any definitive list on which exhsusts are legal in Thai and which not?

I have difficulty understanding the law on this matter as it includes decibels as well as emissions AFAIK and there's no easy way to test that conclusively with no tools at. Home and they're are hundreds of pipes available.... :(

if you want to pay 40K for a Mugen full system from honda big-wing, then you will have no problems with cops... but... at 250K, I would just put another 50K and go for a CBR650.

• Like 2

I know its fact that officially modifications have to be TIS approved but in real life? Coppers are to busy to finding reasons for tea money so now they will start to check if parts are approved? Don't panic and enjoy the freedom to modify your bike as you want it and people who are advising this should go home.

Please give me one example where cops actually checked that. If it is the same for cars than you can see how good they are enforcing this law....

Dave boo thanks for making me laugh, is the bell on your push bike TIS approved?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

thanks for all your reply, and the exhaust is the one i don't want to risk as around me loud exhaust gets taken in by police if its too loud, the Mugan isn't worth the money in my opinion as you said an extra 50k would get me a 600rr, I might have to pop down to my local police station and see what they take on it. good to be sure then sorry!

thanks for all your reply, and the exhaust is the one i don't want to risk as around me loud exhaust gets taken in by police if its too loud, the Mugan isn't worth the money in my opinion as you said an extra 50k would get me a 600rr, I might have to pop down to my local police station and see what they take on it. good to be sure then sorry!

Which answer do you expect? Better ask how many ppl here have been officially fined for a "illegal" exhaust or a too loud exhaust.

Me never in 6 years and all my bikes do have a aftermarket exhaust NOT TIS. Nearly all times i got stopped i was fined for the left lane bs.

A lot depends on where you live. Take Pattaya for instance, used to be when ANY bike with a loud or aftermarket got "fined", even the small ones." In Bangkok you are more likely to get "fined" for incorrect lane choice. But yes the colour of the bike has to be predominantly what is says in the book.

Edited by VocalNeal

I know its fact that officially modifications have to be TIS approved but in real life? Coppers are to busy to finding reasons for tea money so now they will start to check if parts are approved? Don't panic and enjoy the freedom to modify your bike as you want it and people who are advising this should go home.

Please give me one example where cops actually checked that. If it is the same for cars than you can see how good they are enforcing this law....

Dave boo thanks for making me laugh, is the bell on your push bike TIS approved?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Still looking to get a proper GT pedal bike...doesn't mean that what I stated isn't technically the law.

And FWIW, I never got stopped for the locally made, non TIS stamped, exhaust. But all my riding is outside of civilisation also.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i have been fined twice at Hua Hin but that pipe was loud. They did not fine me with another aftermarket pipe at Hua Hin last time as they said it is not that loud and let me go. So, riding here for long years and fined only two times.

So, as long as it is not very loud, it should be fine but laws say, exhaust needs a TIS stamp to be legal on roads.

Stickers/vinyls no problems.

nice bike you are getting!

i have been fined twice at Hua Hin but that pipe was loud. They did not fine me with another aftermarket pipe at Hua Hin last time as they said it is not that loud and let me go. So, riding here for long years and fined only two times.

So, as long as it is not very loud, it should be fine but laws say, exhaust needs a TIS stamp to be legal on roads.

you forgot to mention that "loud pipes save lives" - or was it "loud pipes make people you pass think yer a chump" - can't remember which.....

you forgot to mention that "loud pipes save lives" - or was it "loud pipes make people you pass think yer a chump" - can't remember which.....

yeah i missed that. thanks for mentioning!

• Like 1

I've seen a video a while back on a facebook on one of the bike Thai bike pages, in that video a copper was testing an exhaust loudness and later proceeded to write a ticket for what looked like Ducati Monster stock pipes, the rider (Thai) was pissed and was making a video of a whole incident. I don't know the details as I didn't understand what they were saying, so yes it happens, maybe not often but happens, and yes when coppers are busy finding a reason to fine you, they will find a reason.

I've seen a video a while back on a facebook on one of the bike Thai bike pages, in that video a copper was testing an exhaust loudness and later proceeded to write a ticket for what looked like Ducati Monster stock pipes, the rider (Thai) was pissed and was making a video of a whole incident. I don't know the details as I didn't understand what they were saying, so yes it happens, maybe not often but happens, and yes when coppers are busy finding a reason to fine you, they will find a reason.

i have seen them setting up road blocks with computerized emission and sound tester to check exhausts of vehicles.

seen them only three times in Thailand though within 7 years!

i have seen them setting up road blocks with computerized emission and sound tester to check exhausts of vehicles.

seen them only three times in Thailand though within 7 years!

I have seen a few of these road blocks too, they're rare, I guess coppers get bored sometimes writing "no helmet" fines day after day and need to entertain themselves. :D

Have to admit that I didn't realise that the colour was stated in the green book!

How easy / difficult is is to get that changed?

Just paint your bike and take it to the DLT, don't know how much they charge, probably around 500 baht for an updated book.

• Like 1

Have to admit that I didn't realise that the colour was stated in the green book!

How easy / difficult is is to get that changed?

Just paint your bike and take it to the DLT, don't know how much they charge, probably around 500 baht for an updated book.

My project is some way from the paint stage but it's good to look ahead!

• Like 1

I was stopped on Sukumvit on my Raider with its stock, albiet rather loud, pipe.

MC cop was unhappy, after eyeballing the exhaust, but no ticky..."100% original, sir!'

I later stuffed two stainless steel scrubbies into the front part of the muffler to tone it down a bit.

Mo bedda.