Small cockroaches in the kitchen

BobbyL

Icing or castor sugar and plaster of Paris, the first thing a dying cockroach does when it has been poisoned is lay it's egg(s) which contain some extraordinary amount of offspring. The plaster of Paris solidifies in their gut preventing this and kills them, thus stopping the cycle. Even if you eradicate them now they will be back in 3 months when the new born's hatch. It takes a while but it is non toxic. Some of the big ones fly and you can't do much about it except keep them under control, but the German ones are the worse, they are disease carrying MoFo's. Once they get a hold it's VERY difficult to get rid of them, unless you can break the cycle. I think we used to use 50/50.

Surface spray helps usually in the short term.

What's 50/50?

From reading the only other thread I found about Borax on here it seems nigh on impossible to find it in Bangkok, perhaps I'll have to purchase something else.

I'm pretty sure ARS ant killer, which is available from supermarkets, has Borax (or some form of) as its active ingredient.

I use it and it is very effective against small ants, not sure about roaches. It tends to go stale after a few days of exposure to the air though.

Would probably be cheaper to find a pharmacy that sells it if you wanted it in bulk.

Bobby,

I am sure your place is very clean but I think the real solution is not your own personal space problem. As you live with others in the building, whom has disgusting habits, and leave trash all over their room, they will affect you. Your pipes are shared. What I would suggest is by limiting the access. First, like others have suggested, block all the drains. Next, go to homepro, and buy a silicone sealant. As you are a clean freak, I believe you are also a perfectionist, so it must be easy for you to go into all the details of your room and surroundings. Fill up any holes you see, you really have to work with every spot and bend over. Even for your doors, find those long strips with soft brushes, that you can glue onto your door. That way, the bottom part is sealed off completely yet flexible enough for you to open and close the door.

Good luck!

Icing or castor sugar and plaster of Paris, the first thing a dying cockroach does when it has been poisoned is lay it's egg(s) which contain some extraordinary amount of offspring. The plaster of Paris solidifies in their gut preventing this and kills them, thus stopping the cycle. Even if you eradicate them now they will be back in 3 months when the new born's hatch. It takes a while but it is non toxic. Some of the big ones fly and you can't do much about it except keep them under control, but the German ones are the worse, they are disease carrying MoFo's. Once they get a hold it's VERY difficult to get rid of them, unless you can break the cycle. I think we used to use 50/50.

What's 50/50?

From reading the only other thread I found about Borax on here it seems nigh on impossible to find it in Bangkok, perhaps I'll have to purchase something else.

1/2 plaster 1/2 sugar, I think castor sugar was best as it is finer.

For a short while the problem will seem worse as it is attracting them. My ex-Father in law told me and we used it in Queensland (Australia) and it worked.

Edited by RigPig

Bobby,

I am sure your place is very clean but I think the real solution is not your own personal space problem. As you live with others in the building, whom has disgusting habits, and leave trash all over their room, they will affect you. Your pipes are shared. What I would suggest is by limiting the access. First, like others have suggested, block all the drains. Next, go to homepro, and buy a silicone sealant. As you are a clean freak, I believe you are also a perfectionist, so it must be easy for you to go into all the details of your room and surroundings. Fill up any holes you see, you really have to work with every spot and bend over. Even for your doors, find those long strips with soft brushes, that you can glue onto your door. That way, the bottom part is sealed off completely yet flexible enough for you to open and close the door.

Good luck!

Nice one mate, will do.

What's 50/50?

I'm pretty sure ARS ant killer, which is available from supermarkets, has Borax (or some form of) as its active ingredient.

I use it and it is very effective against small ants, not sure about roaches. It tends to go stale after a few days of exposure to the air though.

Would probably be cheaper to find a pharmacy that sells it if you wanted it in bulk.

It's usually UV that affects surface sprays, and of course washing the area. A good one should last 3 months. Cockroaches love dark damp places, as someone said the service ducts will be alive with them and they will be using them to travel from floor to floor, condo to condo, srface spray around the access hatch so that if they do, come in they will contact the poison and die.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't know where they got the name from. My dictionary defines 'hoy' as:

1) A shellfish

2) A device for extracting money.

2 is the right answer.

I think you are mistaken......A Hoe would be a device for extracting money

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.urbandictionary.com%2Fdefine.php%3Fterm%3Dhoe&ei=qqCxU5uJHI63uATHroGwCg&usg=AFQjCNE7mu_oJ-NH0MmTLHirLX3VSWujSA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.c2E

Edited by PaddyDaddy

German cockroaches,a bait type poison the best to eradicate them,also,do not let plastic back etc build up,they will find harbourage in them and cracks and crevices.

And whatever you do, do not leave out any schwarzbrod, or kartoffelsaladen.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a monthly visit from a pest control company, and have minimal problems.

I did have an infestation once, but I found it came from a nest I brought into the house inside a case of beer!

In a condo building you have to suspect the drainage/ sewage system. Foodstuff goes down there and becomes a great place for them to live. Control the amount of foodstuff and waste that you put into your kitchen drain, ensure your water traps are full, and get some bug killers into them sink drains.

Start with 'Hoy hoy trap a roach' sticky floored traps then use Bayer Blattanex gel (a poison bait) - the one specific to cockroach. reason for not using the poison first is that you will be ankle deep in dead cokroaches so catch as many as you can first with the traps. Both available from Foodland.

A "hoy cockroach trap" - yes, I can see the connection there cheesy.gif

At least in Family Mart and surely other places sell flat pack cardboard traps - 3 in a set - that when assembled that look like a cute very miniature Dutch barn with windows and doors - must be very attractive to a wandering roach. The essential bit is the floor which is sticky stuff and the little envelope of bait that you open and pour in the centre of the sticky paper.

Leave them about as you would all desirable property - near food and drank sources. When they become occupied just relocate the box to a more desirable location - ie the trash.

Not sure what they are called but the packaging is pretty graphic. Tried them once and they worked.

If you've had roaches, it's not a bad idea to wipe down all surfaces (interior shelves, cabinets, floors, especially the corners) with soap and/or a light bleach solution, 1) this ensures there's not something on the surface that might be attracting them 2) all their shit which they leave everywhere and which is allergenic is cleaned up. Be careful bringing anything into the house that might harbor them - I had some once from a wicker basket I brought in (not in Thailand) that I guess had eggs on it, but they could get into any old books/papers/furniture/plants etc. If you see them very occasionally I wouldn't worry too much, use the borax and clean up, but if you see a lot (multiple roaches every day) don't delay- call pest control & talk to building management.

The first house I rented when I moved to Chiang Mai had a large grated drain in the kitchen. One night after a really hard rain, the water forced the roaches into my kitchen by the hundreds, literally. The next day we found a new place to live. It was like something out of a Hitchcock movie.

I don't cover over the sink but I will now. I'm yet to discover where they come from but that's definitely a potential place.

Three areas of attack for us, bathroom sink drains, bathtub drains and a key floor drain in the bathroom. Putting the plugs into the sinks and tub after use, does help.

Yep, along with small ants and tiny tiny flies. I have to keep my drains covered and sprayed, and I am above the 15th floor. Took me a while to figure it out, because the ants in Thailand don't travel single file like they do back home. They just wander randomly around! What's up with that?

At least in Family Mart and surely other places sell flat pack cardboard traps - 3 in a set - that when assembled that look like a cute very miniature Dutch barn with windows and doors - must be very attractive to a wandering roach. The essential bit is the floor which is sticky stuff and the little envelope of bait that you open and pour in the centre of the sticky paper.

Leave them about as you would all desirable property - near food and drank sources. When they become occupied just relocate the box to a more desirable location - ie the trash.

Not sure what they are called but the packaging is pretty graphic. Tried them once and they worked.

This described above by Peter is the 'Hoy hoy trap a roach

I leave in a service apartment and never had any cockroaches. One day I started noticing some in the kitchen and over a few days I killed 10 to 15 every evenings. I then remembered that my refrigerator had been replaced at about the same time by one stored somewhere in the building. When I removed the plastic cover at the back where the compressor is, I could see dozens of them of all sizes and tiny eggs stuck on the inside of the plastic cover. But it was too late, they had already colonized the kitchen and laid eggs in places like behind the sink, cupboards and any holes and crevices. "Chaindrite Crack and crevice Spray", sticky pads and mostly the sealing of all cracks and crevices (even the tiniest ones) eventually got rid of them but it took over a month. Mind you, when all the places where they could hide during the day are sealed or removed they will migrate to another room so you might think about seal cracks and crevices in the adjacent rooms as well. Now the only ones I got sometimes are coming through the entrance door (they don't knock) which had special tape put on its frame so there is a good seal when the door is closed but the tiny ones still get through.

Edited by Zyxel

1 cup sugar dissovled in 1/2 cup water + 1 cup Baking Power, stir well.
Fill paste into old jar lids, place as appropriate, job done, works really well, will rid your place of roaches in days

Really? Sodium bicarbonate will kill roaches? Did you mean borax?

I had a friend send me Borax powder from the U.S. It is used to soften water in the washing machine there.

I remember my parents using Borax when I was a kid, but thought all these years it was just a laundry soap option. I need a water softener in the washing machine. Do you live in or around Bangkok? I am curious to know if True Value Hardware stocks that. When living south of Bkk, I would go into True Value for American products unavailable anywhere else.

What's 50/50?

Check True Value Hardware

Borax kills them by cutting up and dehydrating their insides. Ants too. Deadly, but not to people or pets. Borax is a sharp edged mineral, cheap and abundant in the deserts of SW USA. I don't know where else it's found.

3 parts sugar
1 part borax
I like to set a little bit out in various places on small pieces of heavy paper or uncorrugated cardboard.
The next day be ready to clean up lots of dead cockroaches and then watch the numbers drop to zip.

1 cup sugar dissovled in 1/2 cup water + 1 cup Baking Power, stir well.
Fill paste into old jar lids, place as appropriate, job done, works really well, will rid your place of roaches in days

Really? Sodium bicarbonate will kill roaches? Did you mean borax?

*boric acid

A cat will also solve your cockroach problem.

We live in a row of townhouses, so rats would migrate from one house to another.. We tried various traps, but rats are fast learners, so we only got one or two that way. Finally, a friend gave us a kitten and she took care of the rat problem very quickly. She is now 2 years old and I haven't seen a rat in over a year and a half. She also cleared out the cockroaches and lizards.

Now that the rainy season has started, the cockroaches have started coming out of the drains again. The cat will lurk downstairs in the kitchen after we turn out the lights and go to bed. Sometimes she is disappointed, but occasionally my wife will find little cockroach carcasses in the morning (the cat doesn't eat cockroaches, she just plays with them until they are 'broken').

Who in Chiang Mai stocks Plaster of Paris? I tried 2 chemical outlets with success.

Who in Chiang Mai stocks Plaster of Paris? I tried 2 chemical outlets with success.

I have no idea, as usual the simple things here are impossible. Maybe the hospital, they would still use it for setting broken limbs I would think.....

Maybe the plaster they use in plastering walls would work too (Spak Filla, Poly Filler etc.)