Thai energy populism is too costly for us to swallow

webfact

Instead of fixing short-term symptoms, it should focus its efforts on doing good things that are normally difficult to implement by populist politicians.

How about helping people install solar collectors for their homes. Surplus electricity produced could be sold back to the utility. A subsidy to help with the installations might be productive.

They already did this under the Dems... People went out and built solar farms, spent a hell of a lot of money on setting them up with panels and the industrial grade inverter etc... They were promised up to 5.8 baht per KWH seeing as the authority was paying more than that from Laos and Myanmar who had Thailand over a barrel. (up to 8 baht KWH).

It ran for about a year and then the Thaksin regime were voted in and it was scrapped leaving many in the crapper who had not yet recouped their investment for their farm. That really pissed a lot of people off.... I myself had done all the research for a 200 KW farm on my land luckily just before the scheme was pulled.

I ended up putting the land up for sale and sold it quite quickly, and coincidentally my wife was approached by a representative of the PEA asking if our land was still for sale, because they are now building their own solar farms. Our land was strategically positioned right on the grid.

part of the problem was aboiut how the rights to produce were being auctioned. People got hold of the licenses and were sitting on them waiting to partner with someone who might want to put up a farm.

These farms are costing EGAT an arm and a leg. Nice work if you can get it.

Instead of fixing short-term symptoms, it should focus its efforts on doing good things that are normally difficult to implement by populist politicians.

How about helping people install solar collectors for their homes. Surplus electricity produced could be sold back to the utility. A subsidy to help with the installations might be productive.

They already did this under the Dems... People went out and built solar farms, spent a hell of a lot of money on setting them up with panels and the industrial grade inverter etc... They were promised up to 5.8 baht per KWH seeing as the authority was paying more than that from Laos and Myanmar who had Thailand over a barrel. (up to 8 baht KWH).

It ran for about a year and then the Thaksin regime were voted in and it was scrapped leaving many in the crapper who had not yet recouped their investment for their farm. That really pissed a lot of people off.... I myself had done all the research for a 200 KW farm on my land luckily just before the scheme was pulled.

I ended up putting the land up for sale and sold it quite quickly, and coincidentally my wife was approached by a representative of the PEA asking if our land was still for sale, because they are now building their own solar farms. Our land was strategically positioned right on the grid.

part of the problem was aboiut how the rights to produce were being auctioned. People got hold of the licenses and were sitting on them waiting to partner with someone who might want to put up a farm.

These farms are costing EGAT an arm and a leg. Nice work if you can get it.

They think energy is expensive in Thailand, geez go to Australia you need to work 3 jobs just to pay the electricity bill.

And 5 jobs in Monaco, and =====+++

I guess they are all starving down there. Poor Australians.

They think energy is expensive in Thailand, geez go to Australia you need to work 3 jobs just to pay the electricity bill.

And 5 jobs in Monaco, and =====+++

I guess they are all starving down there. Poor Australians.

Yep, $175 per day for child care, you earn $180, add fuel and other energy expenses then it is a waste of time to work in Aust

That and the 500+% increase in home insurance in Queensland over from 2009 to 2013 is one of the main reasons I moved here. A$10,000 pa (Baht 300,000) for home and basic contents insurance!!??