Diesel excise tax poised to be raised by 1-3 baht

webfact

So you want poor folk show there income at the gas station.......?

Just fair taxing for both diesel and benzine not one cheaper as the other for non business people.

Why would a poor person driving a honda jazz need to pay more as a poor person driving a diesel ?

As long as the extra money is used on roads its a big win.

Because the person driving the Jazz is unlikely to be transporting 5 ton of rice or 30 pigs from his farm to the market.

I have yet to see that on the road in bkk most diesel trucks are not used that way. In almost all my post i said that it should exclude businesses. Just google red diesel, its one way of doing this.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just fair taxing for both diesel and benzine not one cheaper as the other for non business people.

Why would a poor person driving a honda jazz need to pay more as a poor person driving a diesel ?

Because the person driving the Jazz is unlikely to be transporting 5 ton of rice or 30 pigs from his farm to the market.

I have yet to see that on the road in bkk most diesel trucks are not used that way. In almost all my post i said that it should exclude businesses. Just google red diesel, its one way of doing this.

Get up a bit earlier in the morning, and you will see it.

• Like 1

I got the impression robblok was referring to the huge numbers of standard pickups on the road, none of which can haul 5 tons of rice or 30 hogs.

That may be the domain of the hok lor 6 wheeler or sip lor (10) and they are the ones that may need assistance with fuel costs if they aren't on CNG.

Many people have bought pickups because fuel costs are lower, even though many run around empty 90% of the time. Anyway the Jazz and similar small cars run on the new cheaper blends not 95 petrol.

Edited by ratcatcher

Perhaps you should explore outside Bangkok and see how the masses live/survive...........coffee1.gif

They need the money urgent for their populist policies !

Yes they do, for doing projects the PTP said they would do before all the money went AWOL. Populist policies with accountability and transparency. And yes, I spoke to the tooth fairy late last night on her way home from the Suarez residence..

The Excise Department Director-General also said that a rise of 1 baht per unit in diesel excise tax would yield an increase of 20,000 baht in revenue to the government.

My guess the article is in error...probably meant to say 20 million baht.

Whats happening 'a non popular decision' from the man. Not to worry it will only raise prices across the whole economy. Inflation no less

Not all decisions can be popular unfortunately. However it will have far less influence as the raise in minimum salary done by the PTP that really made inflation go to extreme heights here in Thailand. Everyone said it would.. but they did not listen.

I do feel that maybe they should make some rules to ensure businesses not private persons can get to cheaper fuel.

so ordinary people running lpg etc should pay the same price as benzine as well?

The Excise Department Director-General also said that a rise of 1 baht per unit in diesel excise tax would yield an increase of 20,000 baht in revenue to the government.

..per day?

Whats happening 'a non popular decision' from the man. Not to worry it will only raise prices across the whole economy. Inflation no less

Not all decisions can be popular unfortunately. However it will have far less influence as the raise in minimum salary done by the PTP that really made inflation go to extreme heights here in Thailand. Everyone said it would.. but they did not listen.

I do feel that maybe they should make some rules to ensure businesses not private persons can get to cheaper fuel.

so ordinary people running lpg etc should pay the same price as benzine as well?

If they are subsidizing LPG sure. Thing is James that there is no good reason why all these trucks that are not driven for business purpose would get tax breaks while people driving cars on benzine do not.

I know that pisses people off who own those big trucks as it will be more expensive to drive them. Traffic would be a lot better with less of those trucks and more small economy cars around.

I am all for things like red diesel for businesses (to keep inflation down) but i really see no reason to give tax breaks to normal people who buy big trucks just because the like them.

So either give the same breaks to benzine drivers or take them away for everyone.. fair is fair.

..per day?

Maybe...I'm sure they sell more than 20,000 liters of diesel per day as that very little with the millions of diesel vehicles on the roads....maybe they sell 200,000 liters/day which still seems small....maybe 2 million, maybe 20 million, etc.

Edit: from some googling I found one website saying diesel usage per day in Thailand is approx 50M liters....another website said around 43M liters.

Edited by Pib

I'm loosing the will to live on this one, nobody actually knows, least of all the author and certainly nobody since. Question arises why the article was written and then why it was posted! Sad really.

If they are subsidizing LPG sure. Thing is James that there is no good reason why all these trucks that are not driven for business purpose would get tax breaks while people driving cars on benzine do not.

I know that pisses people off who own those big trucks as it will be more expensive to drive them. Traffic would be a lot better with less of those trucks and more small economy cars around.

I am all for things like red diesel for businesses (to keep inflation down) but i really see no reason to give tax breaks to normal people who buy big trucks just because the like them.

So either give the same breaks to benzine drivers or take them away for everyone.. fair is fair.

Thailand is number 1 in the world in truck sales Rob. 90% for biz purposes I imagine. Don't know how you figure a truck takes up more room than a Ford Focus - if it does as you said in another thread by 2cm, it ain't much.

"The Excise Department Director-General also said that a rise of 1 baht per unit in diesel excise tax would yield an increase of 20,000 baht in revenue to the government".

Anyone? I, and others would like to understand the impact?

I read 1 unit to be 1 litre, so a rise of 1baht per litre on diesel. Unless someone has a better understanding!

That's probably correct so thanks, I wonder however what the budget impact is though?

depending on the number of vehicles that use diesel it is about 70 bhat more per tank of diesel. so if there are 5 miilion vehicles that use diesel it works out to about 35million bhat per week. Or 140 million per month.

All depends on the number of vehicles and how often they fill up. My calculations allow for a full tank per week.

Thailand is number 1 in the world in truck sales Rob. 90% for biz purposes I imagine. Don't know how you figure a truck takes up more room than a Ford Focus - if it does as you said in another thread by 2cm, it ain't much.

I am not comparing trucks with ford focus but with honda jazz. People say trucks are for poor people so i compare it with other people who don't have much to spend. Thing is a truck is lot bigger as those economy cars and doing a lot more damage to the roads and taking up far more space. So why do they get the break and the other cars not.. you seem to be avoiding that question like the plague because there is none.

Then you come up with BS numbers as 90% of the trucks are for bizz with nothing to back it up. Most of the pickups i see don't transport a thing and certainly are not for business. There sure would be a lot of businesses in Thailand if 90% of the pickups are for business cheesy.gif I wonder how someone with brains like yours could come up with things like this. Your not stupid I know that much.

Come give me some good arguments and back your numbers up or don't state them.

I am not comparing trucks with ford focus but with honda jazz. People say trucks are for poor people so i compare it with other people who don't have much to spend. Thing is a truck is lot bigger as those economy cars and doing a lot more damage to the roads and taking up far more space. So why do they get the break and the other cars not.. you seem to be avoiding that question like the plague because there is none.

Then you come up with BS numbers as 90% of the trucks are for bizz with nothing to back it up. Most of the pickups i see don't transport a thing and certainly are not for business. There sure would be a lot of businesses in Thailand if 90% of the pickups are for business cheesy.gif I wonder how someone with brains like yours could come up with things like this. Your not stupid I know that much.

Come give me some good arguments and back your numbers up or don't state them.

Rob, another way to look at it that cannot be quite so easily quantified, is that the pickup serves as THE family vehicle in Thailand, sometimes for a very extended family. So that means, rather than having an SUV, a small sporty car, and a large roomy sedan as many of us do, Thais have to depend on the pickup for all functions as consumers, AND, that same pickup may also be used as a commercial vehicle by the breadwinner in the family.

That same empty pickup you see on Monday with one driver, may be hauling around 12 people on the weekends to the wat.

Diesel is mostly used by the workforce. smart !!!!

Exactly... Some forget that the most powerful truck OR hi-so SUV in LOS is a Diesel, NOT benzene.

Hi-sos would buy a V8 SUV if they could for SENSIBLE money..........coffee1.gif

Edited by transam