Thai Customs for passengers travelling in and out of Thailand.

neverdie

Does this mean that I have to get an export docket for my laptop when I head out on a business trip (had to do this in India) so I can avoid paying duty on it on my return?

• Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Further update, also found this sentence which clarifies more:

"Somchai Asawadtriratanakul, the bureau’s chief of investigation and suppression division, said the regulation was an existing one, but enforcement will be stricter. The bureau found many people brought in new products for resale in Thailand without paying import duty. Action had to be taken to prevent this."

• Like 1

So what am I supposed to do with my platinum Rolex?

Only wear it going to the club where the 'right' people can see you wearing it biggrin.png

BTW will you join us at TVF Lounge this Friday rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the information about your friend.

I understand what you AND SANDMAN were saying Doctor Naam about all the years with no problems....but it takes us nowhere. I won't mention the times I was passing thru customs here in the 1930's during a flight I took with Imperial Airways on an 11 day hop flight with in excess of a dozen stops between London and Sydney Australia. Let me tell you, I recall the Captain announcing a layover in Bkk due to headwind which had our land speed down to just 100 miles an hour. Anyway, I recall I didn't have a problem back then either, but it still takes us nowhere in 2014.

you can take my word that nothing will change as far a Thai customs (airport arrivals) are concerned.

we can also make a bet:

-if i win you mowe my lawn till end 2014,

-if i lose i will not mowe your lawn till end 2014.

I guess from what i did see on the "newspaper-which-must-not-be-named", you guys can start to set the first date for looking at the growth of the lawn-to-be-mowed. Please share the pics from the settlement of the bet biggrin.png

Can one assume that because the Thai customs link in the OP is in Thai and there is no English translation link, that this is meant for Thai Nationals more than it relates to new regulations for foreigners living here.

10,000 baht doesn't seem a huge amount.

Further update, also found this sentence which clarifies more:

"Somchai Asawadtriratanakul, the bureaus chief of investigation and suppression division, said the regulation was an existing one, but enforcement will be stricter. The bureau found many people brought in new products for resale in Thailand without paying import duty. Action had to be taken to prevent this."

I'm wondering if Somchai will have to pay taxes for his surname, importing all those letters and all that.

Wow, Asawadtriratanakul, imagine trying to sign that on the back of your credit card ! <deleted>

• Like 1

Thanks for the information about your friend.

I understand what you AND SANDMAN were saying Doctor Naam about all the years with no problems....but it takes us nowhere. I won't mention the times I was passing thru customs here in the 1930's during a flight I took with Imperial Airways on an 11 day hop flight with in excess of a dozen stops between London and Sydney Australia. Let me tell you, I recall the Captain announcing a layover in Bkk due to headwind which had our land speed down to just 100 miles an hour. Anyway, I recall I didn't have a problem back then either, but it still takes us nowhere in 2014.

you can take my word that nothing will change as far a Thai customs (airport arrivals) are concerned.

we can also make a bet:

-if i win you mowe my lawn till end 2014,

-if i lose i will not mowe your lawn till end 2014.

I guess from what i did see on the "newspaper-which-must-not-be-named", you guys can start to set the first date for looking at the growth of the lawn-to-be-mowed. Please share the pics from the settlement of the bet biggrin.png

Doctor Naam will always be working for me in one way or another, so he may as well cut my lawn. Better load up the nail clippers and kneeboard Naam, I haven't mowed since 1985. Mowing is over rated ;)

UPDATE

Just seen news on the homepage of the newspaper which can not be copied here, just few sentences from there:

"The 10,000 baht duty-free limit on new personal items purchased overseas by incoming air passengers is now being strictly policed, the Customs Department announced on Tuesday.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Control Customs Bureau will calculate the value of all personal items - souvenirs, gifts or brandname goods - purchased overseas.If the combined value of those products exceed 10,000 baht, passengers and airline crew will have to pay import duty

Signs announcing enforcement of the limit were placed at the airport, explaining that "personal goods" includes new clothes, shoes, socks and bags in non-commercial form"

According to this, it is all about "new" stuff - clearly showing that they target purchase abroad which might be sold in Thailand (or should have been bought in Thailand...) ... however, only time will show how this will be enacted on "normal" tourist clothes and goods

I. still concerned by this.

So I return and they say my 2yo camera gear is new, but it's not. My 10 year old lenses look new but they're still 10 years old, as is my watch.

• Like 2

Can one assume that because the Thai customs link in the OP is in Thai and there is no English translation link, that this is meant for Thai Nationals more than it relates to new regulations for foreigners living here.

10,000 baht doesn't seem a huge amount.

English version below.

ARRIVING IN THAILAND

When a Customs officer stops a passenger/traveler for a closer inspection, it does not necessarily mean that the passenger/traveler is suspected of any wrongdoing. In addition to enforcing Customs laws, Thai Customs enforces many laws for other agencies.

Duty Payment

If you are bringing in with you the items with total combined value more than 10,000 baht, these items are subject to import taxes and duties. A flat rate of duty will be applied on the dutiable items provided that:

The dutiable items are intended for personal use;

They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes;

The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; and

Passengers are able to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

The dutiable items of which the quantity exceeds those allowed for personal use and/or the total value exceeds 10,000 baht or intended for commercial use (including those of which value is less than 80,000 baht) are subject to applicable taxes and duties. Please contact the Passenger Inspection Sub-Division for the payment of taxes and duties. In case where the value of the dutiable items exceeds 80,000 baht, such items will be sent to a warehouse for formal import Customs procedures. The goods are held under Customs control until a formal import Customs procedures processed at the Customs Formalities Subdivision has been completed.

A.T.A. Carnets

The A.T.A. Carnet allows the temporary import of exhibition and advertising materials, commercial samples, and scientific equipment from a signatory to the Conventions governing A.T.A. Carnets into Thailand. As long as the conditions for the use of a Carnet are observed, its use permits temporary importation without payment of duty and with the minimum of restrictions.

The A.T.A. Carnet holders arriving in Thailand should contact Customs officers at the Red Channel upon their arrival. Customs formalities and clearance of goods under A.T.A. Carnets are to be processed and completed at the airport.

At the point of departure, the A.T.A. Carnet holders are required to complete a re-exportation form, consisting of Re-Exportation Counterfoil and Re-Exportation Voucher, and submit them together with the re-exported goods to the Customs officials for verification. The Re-Exportation Counterfoil will have to be retained by the A.T.A. Carnet holder while the Re-Exportation Voucher will be retained by Customs at the point of departure.

Carnets may also be obtained for temporary duty/tax free export of goods from Thailand to a foreign country. Please contact the International Chamber of Commerce for application details.

Foreign Currency

Travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that travelers bringing foreign currency, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the persons baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

Does this mean that I have to get an export docket for my laptop when I head out on a business trip (had to do this in India) so I can avoid paying duty on it on my return?

For me it sounds like the target are Thais, the Hi-Sos....like these going shopping to KL, Singapore, Hongkong, Dubai and come back with 4 bags of new items. The rest is to cover all the excuses of the things are already used.

From the sound of it, it doesn't seem to be targeted at the usual Farang.

I could be wrong but it sounds like....

UPDATE

Just seen news on the homepage of the newspaper which can not be copied here, just few sentences from there:

"The 10,000 baht duty-free limit on new personal items purchased overseas by incoming air passengers is now being strictly policed, the Customs Department announced on Tuesday.

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Control Customs Bureau will calculate the value of all personal items - souvenirs, gifts or brandname goods - purchased overseas.If the combined value of those products exceed 10,000 baht, passengers and airline crew will have to pay import duty

Signs announcing enforcement of the limit were placed at the airport, explaining that "personal goods" includes new clothes, shoes, socks and bags in non-commercial form"

According to this, it is all about "new" stuff - clearly showing that they target purchase abroad which might be sold in Thailand (or should have been bought in Thailand...) ... however, only time will show how this will be enacted on "normal" tourist clothes and goods

So I return and they say my 2yo camera gear is new, but it's not. My 10 year old lenses look new but they're still 10 years old, as is my watch.

Yes, that is the risk you have now coming back. Question is also, how much new stuff did you buy while abroad? Could you draft a summary of those with the invoices with it and if they are over 10K Baht, go through the red channel and pay the flat fee - normally, customs would then NOT look into your bags in order to find other stuff, since you seem to be honest and wanting to declare your new goods... at least that is how it works for me when going back to Switzerland after my holidays in Thailand... but TiT... so...

UPDATE

Yes, that is the risk you have now coming back. Question is also, how much new stuff did you buy while abroad? Could you draft a summary of those with the invoices with it and if they are over 10K Baht, go through the red channel and pay the flat fee - normally, customs would then NOT look into your bags in order to find other stuff, since you seem to be honest and wanting to declare your new goods... at least that is how it works for me when going back to Switzerland after my holidays in Thailand... but TiT... so...

You know it's funny everyone says they've never been stopped, but I remember a couple of years ago, 2009/2010, I was stopped and my bags checked. I had absolutely nothing much of value, just clothes, my phone etc and after opening me bag and having a boys look, he waved me thru. I was too tired to even ask him anything, I was like, whatever. But I've seen other people stopped.

seems like. a good way of making extra tea money, 10k baht, pair of runners and a baseball cap f f s.

So should we carry receipts for the iPad and Galaxy 5 bought in Thailand?

NO WAY crazy.gif

Then customs will see you bought that expensive gadget in Thailand

and you will pay import tax when you enter Europe or America cheesy.gif

The Philippines are looking more and more appealing every day, especially for those of an age qualifying for retirement. Hassle free come-and-go multiple entry, free to work, invest, buy land, etc. No fear of sleeping in or losing track of the stupid 90 day reporting obligation. No such thing as "Overstay" on retirement visa. One can relax and actually RETIRE. All these restrictions, rules and regulations contribute to stress, which kills more people than many realise. Now add the fear over what's in our luggage, or on our person, stuff that we have worked for and payed for with after-tax earnings, being scrutinised by ... what, who.
In my professional life I have used some top-shelf photographic equipment. Leica, Hasselblad, and Linhof cameras. (see my avatar) all be it they are film cameras, and all purchased used, they still look as new, and command good prices. Their manufacture dates from the 80s back to 1950! I still use them and will do, until I drop.
I guess I should make note of serial numbers, do some homework to document and verify their age. The receipts disappeared years ago.

Damned if I will pay a penny more tax on items I have owned for decades.

• Like 2

Let's not get overexcited about all this.

OF COURSE, they are not going to stop tourists or Thai hiso's for checks.

Just another Silly Regulation.

Except for the 0,01 percent of tourists and expats that will fall in the hands of scammers, but that too is nothing new.

But I wonder, how is the rest of the world (the potential tourists) going to react when this news spreads worldwide?

• Like 2

OK It's now reported in the online newspaper, strict enforcement.

I have two questions, hoping someone here will know:

1. We know the duty-free limit is B10,000. So say your items total B15,000. Do you just have to pay duty on the excess B5,000 (which is sensible) or on the total B15,000?

2. What is the rate at which duty is paid? For example, assuming from this example that you only pay duty on B5,000, what % do you have to pay?

Thanks,

TG

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

Now we know in some minor way what a drug dealer feels like, illegally trafficking through customs wondering if hes going to get caught... only this way with such a dumb low amount its almost impossible to ever be within the law. I do so love being considered a criminal... not bah.gif

This may be a story for the UK guardian newspaper to run.

Everyone entering Thailand is now breaking the law including tourists.

ALL including Tourists entering Thailand MUST declare combined goods valuing £200 and pay duty tax. Stiff penalties and fines for those caught breaking the laws which could lead to detention if the combined amount is over £1,500... blah blah blah

End of UK tourism to Thailand... rolleyes.gif

But the good news is

"UK Tax and Duty Free Allowances 2014

Travellers arriving in Britain from outside the European Union can now benefit from an increase in duty free shopping allowances. UK Duty Free Allowances in detail Goods valued up to £390 can be brought into the country without any duty payable on the purchases from January 1st 2010, including souvenirs, clothing, electrical goods and perfume"

http://www.taxfreetravel.com/UK%20duty%20free%20allowances

BTW how does £390 and UK income levels compare to £185 and Thai income levels?

• Like 1

But the good news is

"UK Tax and Duty Free Allowances 2014

Travellers arriving in Britain from outside the European Union can now benefit from an increase in duty free shopping allowances. UK Duty Free Allowances in detail Goods valued up to £390 can be brought into the country without any duty payable on the purchases from January 1st 2010, including souvenirs, clothing, electrical goods and perfume"

http://www.taxfreetravel.com/UK%20duty%20free%20allowances

BTW how does £390 and UK income levels compare to £185 and Thai income levels?

Well, it is a fact that these limits are stupidly low in many countries, the same as in Thailand. The problem is that it has been announced that Thai customs are actually planning to enforce these ridiculous regulations.

But then again, during many years in Thailand I have seen many similar announcements and some action lasted for good few weeks, to be forgotten later.

• Like 1

Why on earth would import taxes be placed on second hand goods? 10K is crazy. I can understand if new products are being brought in to be sold onwards....but second hand phones and laptops? personal goods? sheesh....I'd love too be a fly on the wall at the airport with all the incoming/outgoing passengers being slugged with taxes.

• Like 1

The funny of all this is that we all dont know if they really stupid enough to start pulling tourist aside and start charging them a lot of money on the spot to bring their phone a laptops in the country. This alone can be over the limit.