Myanmar's New Dawn - Rich and Poor Seek Share in Prosperity

SeaVisionBurma

Myanmar sits between the two giant siblings of Asia – India and China - but its economy is a long way behind.
From ABC's Foreign Correspondent, by Sally Sara
Myanmars-New-Dawn-ABC-Foreign-Correspond
Half a century of military rule and economic stagnation has left millions of people in Myanmar stranded in poverty.
Take a walk around Yangon's historic district and you realise it all could have been so different. At its peak in the 1920s, it was one of the most important cities in the region.
Rangoon, as it was then known, was the headquarters for banks and businesses across Asia and had a larger multicultural population than New York.
Fashionable art deco office buildings lined the streets near the riverfront and flying boats delivered wealthy passengers to and from Europe.
"In those days, if you wanted to fly from London to Melbourne you had to come through Rangoon," author and historian Thant Myint-U told Foreign Correspondent.
Read the full article here: Myanmar's New Dawn

This will air on ABCs Foreign Correspondent current affairs show in Australia this evening, 1st July 2014

For those who cannot get this on their local provider, go here to watch: http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2014/s4034645.htm

Well worth a look, and it will be a shame when we lose this program once the Australia Network services are closed this year....

Gallery of images here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-30/foreign-correspondent3a-myanmar/5560756

• Like 1

You have about 60 billionaire generals, who have controlled most industry there for decades. Even after this utterly false declaration of reform, which Obama has accepted due to pressure from the Chinese, very, very little has changed. The generals are still making billions off of illegal ruby smuggling, and dealing in heroin. So, how much is available for the people? Whatever the generals and Than Shwe (yes, he is still in control) choose to allow them to participate in.

You have about 60 billionaire generals, who have controlled most industry there for decades. Even after this utterly false declaration of reform, which Obama has accepted due to pressure from the Chinese, very, very little has changed. The generals are still making billions off of illegal ruby smuggling, and dealing in heroin. So, how much is available for the people? Whatever the generals and Than Shwe (yes, he is still in control) choose to allow them to participate in.

There are always morons who no nothing of what they say. I am a gem dealer and it is very open dealing in ruby in Myanmar and I have not seen or had dealings with those so called Billionaire Generals who you think control the ruby markets.I dont know about drugs because I have nothing to do with that market but rubies are a open market controlled by local miners

Get a job on a communist paper then you can believe what you read

There are always morons who no nothing of what they say. I am a gem dealer and it is very open dealing in ruby in Myanmar and I have not seen or had dealings with those so called Billionaire Generals who you think control the ruby markets.I dont know about drugs because I have nothing to do with that market but rubies are a open market controlled by local miners

Get a job on a communist paper then you can believe what you read

Although you probably do not think so, I got my information from very reliable sources, who have been in business in Burma (I refuse to refer to the place as Myanmar, as I feel that is a nod to the mafia don generals, who you can see I am not very fond of) for years. Apparently, the government controls a number of the mines, or some of the mining output, and they send their wealthy minions to europe with bags full of rubies, on a monthly basis. Billions are earned from this trade. I am sure there is some free trading done too, and I am happy to hear that.