Icon Siam: Mother of all malls to sprawl along Chao Phraya River

webfact

Icon Siam: Mother of all malls to sprawl along Chao Phraya River
By Coconuts Bangkok

iconsiam.jpg?itok=IC9bHIaa

BANGKOK: -- Central Embassy is the fanciest new mall, Siam Paragon remains the biggest, but who ever thought about topping the marketing superlatives as the “biggest community mall” in Thailand?

Icon Siam did and has, with the THB50-billion, condominium-topped project announced today by mega investors Siam Piwat, Magnolia Quality Development and Charoen Pokphand.

Its two towers, set to open in 2017, will reach 40- and 70-stories high on 80,000 square meters of land on Charoen Nakhon Road. It will consist of two large malls, a convention hall and a condominium. It could possibly disrupt the Earth’s orbit around the sun.

Further paving over any genuine expression of culture, Icon Siam is expected to be the next destination-attraction for consumer citizens and tourists alike. [read more...]

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/07/01/icon-siam-mother-all-malls-sprawl-along-chao-phraya-river

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-07-01

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if one or both of the towers fall over into the Chao Phrayo and causes the river to dam up and flood Bangkok. Maybe they should just build another 7-11 instead to be safe.

• Like 1

Just exactly what is needed, a new shopping mall with condos attached. No doubt will bring already congested traffic to a complete standstill.

Well, it looks like it's on the other side of the river, so less important rolleyes.gif

Mind you one of the BTS/MRT lines may have a station nearby or even inside by the time of opening ? Maybe the "Phran Nok" station on the extended Sukhumvit line ?

Really? That's it, we're leaving Thailand before my wife has the chance to drag me round this one. Central Embassy was so irrelevant I couldn't believe it. This one has all the markings of more utter tedium too.

Thainess, want always more and bigger .......

Nothing to do with being Thai. All over the world the buildings are getting bigger. Mainly because the technology now exists to make them bigger. This should help with traffic congestion, as it means people living that side of the river don't need to come across to the other side to visit a big mall.

I think the problem for many people on this forum is that they just can't stand seeing Thailand advance. Maybe poor expats who like living among even poorer locals. But now that the locals are getting richer, those expats feel poorer. I love that Thailand is developing so quickly. This is great news for Thai people.

It's location still makes for an unsustainable project considering the land is sinking, proximity to the Chao Phraya.

World-s-tallest-buildings_full_600.jpg

Did you know that Samsung was the Principal Contractor for the construction of the 2,717 ft Burj Khalifa in Dubai?

http://www.samsungeca.com/projects_burj_khalifa.html

Seems they make more than things just to play Candy Crush on.

Nothing to do with being Thai. All over the world the buildings are getting bigger. Mainly because the technology now exists to make them bigger. This should help with traffic congestion, as it means people living that side of the river don't need to come across to the other side to visit a big mall.

I think the problem for many people on this forum is that they just can't stand seeing Thailand advance. Maybe poor expats who like living among even poorer locals. But now that the locals are getting richer, those expats feel poorer. I love that Thailand is developing so quickly. This is great news for Thai people.

Wut? Have you been to London or Shanghai? People don't cross the river, due to less congestion? Come on.

As for Thailand developing so quickly, you need to read a lot more news, from 30 years ago, and then start trying to catch up.

Who's building this new venture? Maybe you ought to check out for whose gain and profit it's for, cos it ain't for the Thai people!!

• Like 1

ts two towers, set to open in 2017, will reach 40- and 70-stories high on 80,000 square meters of land on Charoen Nakhon Road. It will consist of two large malls, a convention hall and a condominium. It could possibly disrupt the Earth’s orbit around the sun.

Where do they get this dribble? And the towers sky high all over the world do not affect the Orbit of the earth?

What planet are these fools on?

somehow I think you're seriouswink.png

As long as you narrowly and perversely define "development" as meaning more luxury (i.e. often by definition useless) stuff on offer for people who, provided their within a mile of affording it, are barraged with ads almost all day urging them to shop, and thus think buying more stuff will make their lives better.Then yes, Thailand has developed. Just like mainland China has developed.

Of course the availability of life-enhancing goods is a great development, but most of these malls are merely catering to the so-called "upper classes," and even the lower-priced stuff that crowds every urban area is mostly useless except as a distraction (until version-next comes out anyway).

I just read a study online that found consumerism depresses people. If that's escaped anyone's attention, a trip to Hong Kong or Tokyo numerous other cities in any "developed" country should make that apparent--if you can keep your eyes off all the goodies and ads and study the faces and bearing of the people around you.

But the folks that make this stuff and then barrage us with propaganda ordering us to buy it also have been able to thus define "progress" and "development." Better education, more culture, less exploitation of the "lower" classes, etc, that's not development--more shopping is!

Sounds to me like development with a capital D.

• Like 1