Icon Siam: Mother of all malls to sprawl along Chao Phraya River

webfact

Just another stupid thing being built in Bangkok. I for one will never visit it and who in their right mind would want to buy a condo there, looking down and the crap filled Choa Paya river and the constant noise of Bangkok traffic. As other people have pointed out in previous posts, Bangkok is named "The Venice of the East" and is going to suffer the same fate. It's sinking, it was built on a river delta and thus is on very soft ground. I give it 30 years til they will need to locate a new capital city which is not under water or suffers from earthquakes............I think either central or north-east Thailand.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is, for once, probably a great idea. The way I look at it, one could not possibly have expected anything less. Of course it's probably going to change ALL HISTORY by causing some minor shifts in the orbits of some planetary bodies as they adjust to the new center of gravity, but the whole rest of the world needn't be concerned because everything will be under control and all official papers stamped accordingly.

Meanwhile, all big cities must make big statements. If it isn't the architecture it's the function, or it's the cost, practicalities and a bazillion other concerns that should cause second thoughts but that is rarely the case.

So of course it's going to go this way.

Does Bangkok need another mall? Obviously not, we all know it, but it's going to get one. Oft times this is the sort of thing that can become a joke like the Millennium Dome or any number of design monstrosities around the world. It could be empty like a sprawling Chinese ghost-city. And of course it could topple over and sink into the mud from earthquakes or the encroaching waters. But why let that stop anything? Same same The 1st World, but different.

Because here in BKK we don't yet have an amazing light show like what's planned. That'll be fantastic to see and good for Bangkok. The Grand Palace need not fear the lasers.

And.... right on the Chao Praya. Amazing Thailand should have amazing light shows, it also needs amazing access to it's wonderful river. Let's hope building there is a part of a process we can see happening all around us now, as everything gets cleared up. Perhaps it will spell the end of the boom in big mall developments around Bangkok for a while because the more they clean and tidy up the place the more they'll realize how much more efficient they're going to have to start being without them sinking under more than just mud.

So let Bangkok extend itself. Clean up and inevitable mediocritization are the future for all, and the Thais will have their part in it.

Does the really expensive merchandise in the up-scale shops in these malls really sell? I don't remember ever seeing many shoppers in those stores. Can they survive on just one or two sales a day? I'm an older American but I haven't seen most of the brand names in these new malls anywhere else! Are they possibly big names in Europe? Of course, I know Gucci, Prada, Ralph Lauren and other famous brands but I've never, ever seen most of the brands on sale in these new malls! Has anyone else?

Does the really expensive merchandise in the up-scale shops in these malls really sell? I don't remember ever seeing many shoppers in those stores. Can they survive on just one or two sales a day? I'm an older American but I haven't seen most of the brand names in these new malls anywhere else! Are they possibly big names in Europe? Of course, I know Gucci, Prada, Ralph Lauren and other famous brands but I've never, ever seen most of the brands on sale in these new malls! Has anyone else?

They would not be in business if it wasn't selling

ts two towers, set to open in 2017, will reach 40- and 70-stories high on 80,000 square meters of land on Charoen Nakhon Road. It will consist of two large malls, a convention hall and a condominium. It could possibly disrupt the Earth’s orbit around the sun.

Where do they get this dribble? And the towers sky high all over the world do not affect the Orbit of the earth?

What planet are these fools on?

Planet Sarcasm. Didn't you recognise the drivel?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just exactly what is needed, a new shopping mall with condos attached. No doubt will bring already congested traffic to a complete standstill.

And they will be selling at wildly inflated prices years before any of the toilets flush.

The problem with the area along Charoen Nakhon Road is that its just not easily accessible like most of the other shopping centres are.

Well Smut... I'd argue that there are no easily accessible shopping malls in Bkk via automobile. There is however very likely the chance that a MRT or BTS link will suddenly and quite mysteriously pop up with direct access to the newly proposed waste of space mega project.

The problem with the area along Charoen Nakhon Road is that its just not easily accessible like most of the other shopping centres are.

Well Smut... I'd argue that there are no easily accessible shopping malls in Bkk via automobile. There is however very likely the chance that a MRT or BTS link will suddenly and quite mysteriously pop up with direct access to the newly proposed waste of space mega project.

Thats fair, although most of the city center ones are readily accessible via either BTS or MRT, especially those along Sukhumvit, and although slow in the traffic it is not difficult to find your way into the others. I find Charoen Rd annoying, having to do U turns etc and u turns being blocked when traffic is heavy etc. I went down to the River Condo a couple of times and getting in and out of there is sometimes a nightmare, especially if you want to go right out of the exit across the traffic.

Speaking of shopping centers, i really cannot get my head around Central Embassy, i just find the whole location/concept difficult to fathom. Difficult to exit, no BTS link. From Ploenchit you have to start running across roads, probably to far for most of the target clientele to walk from Chidlom etc.

Just what Thailand needs - another shopping mall full of expensive crap that no one is buying anymore. Every time they build a new mall it just drags all the punters away from the last built one. There is bound to be one built by Lumpini Park soon too. Anybody in their right mind can see the retail boom has ended in Thailand - last time i was in paragon I counted the amount of people I actually saw with bags of just purchased goods and it wasn't even half a dozen - people go there to eat, oggle and hang out. This is madness and I'm not convinced too good for the enviroment either - i 'spose they'll just pump the sewage from the developments straight into the river! Great idea!

Why have the powers that be not stepped in a ordered a housing project for people less fortunate -that's whats needed in this country - a real redisbrution of wealth.

Edited by leggo

I wonder if they do any real research into who is going to use these places.

I went to the newish Gateway Mall at Ekamai for the second time last weekend. I'd been there just after it opened and there were a couple of interesting "electronics" shops I wanted to re-visit.

First time I went it was pretty busy but this time not so much. Just the usual locals using the various free internet spots. And a few lonley losers like me looking for those perfect headphones.

At least half the shops are still empty. Some that had been open before had closed.

Same with the ridiculous new Central Embassy in Phloenchit. Who the heck is going to buy anything there beats me.

What the Chaophraya needs is a lovely leaf lined bike and walking path stretching along its banks. With cafes and cosy bars.

You may say that I'm a dreamer...

It would be nice, but can you see any Thais using that path ?

Everywhere is empty now, the Shins destroyed the countries economy.

• Like 1

I wonder if they do any real research into who is going to use these places.

I went to the newish Gateway Mall at Ekamai for the second time last weekend. I'd been there just after it opened and there were a couple of interesting "electronics" shops I wanted to re-visit.

First time I went it was pretty busy but this time not so much. Just the usual locals using the various free internet spots. And a few lonley losers like me looking for those perfect headphones.

At least half the shops are still empty. Some that had been open before had closed.

Same with the ridiculous new Central Embassy in Phloenchit. Who the heck is going to buy anything there beats me.

What the Chaophraya needs is a lovely leaf lined bike and walking path stretching along its banks. With cafes and cosy bars.

You may say that I'm a dreamer...

I think the Gateway is fairly decent for what it is. I am not sure i would classify Gateway in th same bracket as some of the more well known shopping centers. I feel Gateway it is more of a neighborhood mall rather than a mall designed as a destination center.

Many of the shops seem to be convenience rather than brand names and are aimed at predominantly attracting people in and around the area, rather than pulling people in from miles around like many of the other shopping centers.

The food court seems to do a roaring trade due to them being a number of large schools in the area. After school closing they are normally mobbed.

Thats fair, although most of the city center ones are readily accessible via either BTS or MRT, especially those along Sukhumvit, and although slow in the traffic it is not difficult to find your way into the others. I find Charoen Rd annoying, having to do U turns etc and u turns being blocked when traffic is heavy etc. I went down to the River Condo a couple of times and getting in and out of there is sometimes a nightmare, especially if you want to go right out of the exit across the traffic.

Speaking of shopping centers, i really cannot get my head around Central Embassy, i just find the whole location/concept difficult to fathom. Difficult to exit, no BTS link. From Ploenchit you have to start running across roads, probably to far for most of the target clientele to walk from Chidlom etc.

Hardly a "long" walk from BTS Ploenchit to Central Embassy. The walkways from that BTS station extend very well.

The traffic flow is always variable, as with all major cities. But the parking is always difficult in the Bangkok malls. Wonder if they will allow plenty of parking space in the design?

Hardly a "long" walk from BTS Ploenchit to Central Embassy. The walkways from that BTS station extend very well.

The traffic flow is always variable, as with all major cities. But the parking is always difficult in the Bangkok malls. Wonder if they will allow plenty of parking space in the design?

I meant it was a fair walk from Chidlom BTS for the types of people who Central is aimed at, especially when they have Central Chidlom store connected to Chidlom bts.

Ploenchit BTS is close but its a big traffic junction, with no sky bridge into the site, meaning the well to do will a) have to use the bts to start with B) have to navigate a busy junction to get there on foot. Both of which i see as potential trouble spots for them.

I would not be surprised to see the centre re-branded in the coming years.

Isn't it high time we all got off the consumer conveyor belt and stop kidding ourselves that more means better and that happiness can be bought from a mall? It doesn't and it can't.

With the global population heading for nine billion, the world's raw materials running out at a record rate and only three per cent of money real, these obscene icons of unfettered materialism are destined to be just more headstones commemorating a civilisation that committed suicide through over-consumption.

What a pathetic way for a species that produced the likes of Leonardo da Vinci, Beethoven, Plato, and Einstein to go.

• Like 1

ts two towers, set to open in 2017, will reach 40- and 70-stories high on 80,000 square meters of land on Charoen Nakhon Road. It will consist of two large malls, a convention hall and a condominium. It could possibly disrupt the Earths orbit around the sun.

Where do they get this dribble? And the towers sky high all over the world do not affect the Orbit of the earth?

What planet are these fools on?

The Planet that revolves around Thailand of course.

Is the project for Central to build the Mall of all malls still going ahead at Bang-Na?

jb1