D-Day for 80-baht Thai lottery price today

webfact

To late for me , just bought my ticket at my favorite temple for 95 bath. Maybe the vendor didn't know she could go to jail for that ?

I was told the fine print on the back of the tickets excluded Farang/foreigners from collecting the prizes if they won.

So you can buy as many tickets as you want but are not eligible for the prizes. Thais only. Any truth to that? blink.png

To late for me , just bought my ticket at my favorite temple for 95 bath. Maybe the vendor didn't know she could go to jail for that ?

I was told the fine print on the back of the tickets excluded Farang/foreigners from collecting the prizes if they won.

So you can buy as many tickets as you want but are not eligible for the prizes. Thais only. Any truth to that? blink.png

Yes I have heard that as well.

" Honey, can you please cash this ticket for me? I will give you 25%..... "

Foreigners can play and win and collect. Quite a few reports on Thaivisa in fact from members who have won and received their payout with no problems. I've never bought a ticket but did win 2000 from a ticket given to me as an annual New Years present at the office. Now if I won a few million, I may think carefully about how to collect. wink.png

From Chiang Mai Citylife:

1. If a farang should purchase a winning Thai lottery ticket number, can he/she actually claim the prize?

James: I called the GLO (Government Lottery Office) and they told me that you can indeed have a flutter on the Thai lottery and collect your winnings even if you are only here on a two week holiday. Just take your passport and winning ticket to the nearest GLO (go to the lottery market on Hai Ya Road, it's the road on the way to the airport, opposite Niyom Panich, where there are lots of pet shops and a cemetery), if the win is less than 20,000, winnings will be taxed at 1-3%. If you win large then you'll have to collect from the GLO in Bangkok, there you will be taxed at 0.5%.

From ThaiLotteryWorld:

Anyone, either Thai or foreign, may play and win the state lottery in Thailand. Currently, prizes cannot be claimed through banks.

What are the odds of hitting six numbers in order as they are pulled? 1 in 100's of billions, trillions? to win a few million baht? Why would anybody in their right mind even consider spending that much on a ticket with these odds?

Has anyone ever hit the big prize?

It is 1 chance out of 999.999 not 100's of millions. And a few millions is a lot of money in this country. So let people have their dreams.

Some including dcutman might not be aware that the "shadow" mafia lottery has traditionally been a draw for only 2 numbers, or sometimes 3. Not six. Also, it has been until recently much bigger than the government lottery. Thaksin tried to implement a government 2 digit loto, but that got scrapped after the coup before this most recent one.

The current government lottery still has a 2 number and 3 number draw as well. However the black market lotteries always paid much higher prizes to the winners.

If you have Thai people in your life, then they are playing the numbers. Do yourselves a favor and buy one of the lottery winning-numbers sheets from a vendor. They cost 1 baht. That A4 sized paper will show you all the various and sundry ways to win. There are many ways to win and they win very frequently.

In rural Thailand where I live I know poor people who spend far more than 50% of their monthly income dreaming up two and three number combinations and betting them on the mafia lottery. There are whole sections in Thai book stores devoted to books instructing one how to interpret everything from dreams to chicken-poop to divine the winning numbers.

The problem with the two-digit numbers racket is people win quite frequently. For example a 1500 baht bet on for example the digits 2,3 and 3,2 might payout a prize to the winner of 25,000 baht. I know an astonishing number of poor folk who spend 5000+ baht per month dreaming up two digit combinations and betting on them. The draw is twice per month. In some places it is weekly, where they use the closing figure of the SET for the winning digits. Its all many Thai people think and talk about.

Its a national madness.

Another problem is with the mafia/black-market lotto it is possible to play-first and pay-later. The black market lottery sellers also sideline in the black-market loan sharking business.

All of Thailand is hooked on this numbers gambit to the point where it often looks to me like a form of collective insanity. It's enough money to fund a national old aged pension scheme... but that wouldn't be as much fun for them.

• Like 1

What are the odds of hitting six numbers in order as they are pulled? 1 in 100's of billions, trillions? to win a few million baht? Why would anybody in their right mind even consider spending that much on a ticket with these odds?

Earlier this year, or maybe late last year, two monks in Pattaya won 48 Million and buggered off!! just before that i know of a ladyboy that worked in city hall in Pattaya that won 28 million, i myself won 400,000 so even if i spend 2000 baht a month for the next 16 or so years - i am still quids in!!thumbsup.gif

Any chance anybody really knows what is the fate of all those unsold Govt. Lottery Tickets. Still on sale up to one hour prior to the draw!

They are already payed for by these bad, bad, bad wholesalers who are also pay for numbers unsellable like all these combinations unlikely to be drawn.

There are places you can buy lottery tickets for 40฿ and cheaper if you fancy something like: 000001...

Theoretically you can give unsold tickets back to the Govt., in real it does not happen.

The whole discussion about 80฿ per (double) ticket is flawed, without changing distribution it's not practicable.

We have a blind aunt that sells tickets in front of the government hospital.

Until recently she could make a decent living out of it.

Now she will be back to where she belongs in Thailand as a handicapped person: with the poor.

Thank you so much Mr. Prayuth.

Not sure that is true, auntie can still get a markup on the each ticket as she did before - she will however be buying each ticket at the correct price, not an already highly inflated price from a middleman. Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I know 3 persons/families personal who won 5 million, 12 million and 16 million ฿. The 5 million was when the lottery still had 7 digits, 12 million was a family in MIL's village; money gone after 2 years..., 16 million just yesterday!
Chances compared to lotteries who choose 6 numbers out of 49 or similar are quite high.

I believe 12 million was gone after 2 years, poor Thais like to show off how rich they are and spends an average of 16.436.- bath a day, when the party is finished they have headache and wonder what happened to the lottery winnings . clap2.gif

I won eight million back in 2000, still spending it today thumbsup.gif and, and, Monday I won 8,000 four tickets with the number 864..........back in the day, entire bars of fellow expats would buy hundreds of tickets and split the profits and endure the losses as well...........just a bunch of embibers living the dream........... where have they all gone??tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

In NZ where they also have a Govt lottery they have a network of agents who get paid a commission by the Govt.

If this were done here rather than someone buying the tickets, selling them to someone else then selling them again which raises the price each step of the way then the tickets would reach the buyer at the original price.

Say an agent in each province on a commission who passes the tickets on to another agent, also on a commission, in each city who then passes them on to the seller who would also get a commission for the number of tickets sold..

Commissions could be varied as per the provincial agent who handles a lot of tickets gets a smaller commission than the seller who gets a bit more so everyone down the chain has a chance to make a living out of it.

There would be a cut off date before the draw (live on TV as in NZ) and all unsold tickets would be returned along with the money collected before the draw.

This would allow accounting for all tickets with money collected balanced against tickets sold (no corruption)

Or even cut out the provincial agent and replace with a lottery office in each province which will distribute the tickets, receive the money and unsold tickets and report to the central office.

That would speed the whole process and would make it easier to trace anything out of order.

Probably be cheaper for everyone in the long run.

We have a blind aunt that sells tickets in front of the government hospital.

Until recently she could make a decent living out of it.

Now she will be back to where she belongs in Thailand as a handicapped person: with the poor.

Thank you so much Mr. Prayuth.

Not sure that is true, auntie can still get a markup on the each ticket as she did before - she will however be buying each ticket at the correct price, not an already highly inflated price from a middleman.
As a handicapped person she can buy the tickets at a lower price that others. However, she, as a blind person, needs to take the bus to BKK, which is far from here and then get on another bus. She has to take lot's of cash with her, which she can't even see and get back to home with the tickets. Also, you've to take into account that some months she can't sell all tickets, which means a huge loss for her.

Taking into account the lower profit she gets her quality of life will really get much less good.

Anyway, I went to look at the prices of the lottery tickets today and couldn't even find one seller selling for 80B, so I think there's no reason for her to worry.

It is 1 chance out of 999.999 not 100's of millions. And a few millions is a lot of money in this country. So let people have their dreams.

No that's not quite the correct odds Khonper---- but I do agree with you about letting people have their dreams....... I have so many every time I am surrounded by young girls on the BTS............w00t.gif

The odds are not so much calculated on how many numbers are on the ticket----but by how many numbers the winning combination is drawn from..... ie a typical 6 number lottery as in UK etc is called a 6/49 as wining numbers are drawn from 49 other numbers (balls) giving odds of 1 in 13,983,816.................................... but that's what dreams are about.

Edited by sanuk711