French burqa ban upheld by European courts

webfact

A post has been removed. Please stay on topic and quit baiting other posters.

We have posters who are defending a religion, which is their right to do. I have not seen posts that defend terrorists or terrorism and if I did they would be removed and the poster would likely be suspended.

We have other posters who are assuming that those that defend the religion are also defending the actions of some people who are members of that religion. That argument has numerous pitfalls and wouldn't hold up for nearly any religion.

Now if you wish to discuss the French burqa ban feel free to do so. Continued baiting of other posters will earn you a suspension.

• Like 2

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good article by a Muslim who is launching a campaign to get the burka banned in the UK, he calls the wearing of it Arabisation, 90% of women even in Pakistan do not cover themselves up like this and it's banned it two Muslim countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2695181/Why-I-Muslim-launching-campaign-ban-burka-Britain.html

Excellent link, I think the word he was looking for is, Wahhabism.

Funnily enough this woman who I have a lot of time for says the same,

She was troubled by how Islam is practised today and by the Arab influence on Islam that took away women's individuality and introduced the concept of group honour

Taken from here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irshad_Manji

Go woman go, I support you, the same as I support, Malala Yousafzai, Yalda Hakim is another whose work I support.

Strange how all the Mohd Luthers (or should I say Lollards) appear to be women, until such times as islam goes through its own reformation there will be problems.

If folk don't like that then bugger off back to a place where you have noooooooooo problem.

Absolutely! Just bugggggggger off to where you came from!

noooooooooo problem, noooooooooo rantings!

Just bugger off!!!

Lovely.

Good article by a Muslim who is launching a campaign to get the burka banned in the UK, he calls the wearing of it Arabisation, 90% of women even in Pakistan do not cover themselves up like this and it's banned it two Muslim countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2695181/Why-I-Muslim-launching-campaign-ban-burka-Britain.html

Dr. Hargey is, of course, entitled to his opinion, and makes a reasoned argument (unlike some people).

However, whilst I can see the necessity in making people show their faces where security or identification purposes require it, I do, as I trust has been apparent from my contributions to this topic thus far, also firmly believe in personal freedom; within the law, of course.

All religions have their adherents who believe in different ways of expressing their faith.

I have already used the example of Hasidic Jews, and others spring to mind.

Many Sikh men believe their faith requires them to not cut their hair or beard; others don't cut their hair, but do cut their beards or even shave, still others both cut their hair and shave. (This is based upon personal observation; about 20 years ago a work colleague who was a Sikh who cut his hair and shaved his beard did try and explain it to me, but I'm afraid I've forgotten the reasons.)

Most Christians believe wearing a crucifix is an expression of their faith; but some believe it is idolatry and forbidden.

As I have said, whilst I hold to no religious beliefs myself, I do respect the right of others to do so; whichever religion they adhere to. I also respect the right of others to express their faith in anyway they choose, as long as they remain within the law.

Banning the burqa or niqab as part of banning all face coverings for security etc. reasons; fine. Banning them because you disagree with the beliefs of the women who wear them; bigotry.

• Like 1

Dr. Hargey is, of course, entitled to his opinion, and makes a reasoned argument (unlike some people).

However, whilst I can see the necessity in making people show their faces where security or identification purposes require it, I do, as I trust has been apparent from my contributions to this topic thus far, also firmly believe in personal freedom; within the law, of course.

All religions have their adherents who believe in different ways of expressing their faith.

I have already used the example of Hasidic Jews, and others spring to mind.

Many Sikh men believe their faith requires them to not cut their hair or beard; others don't cut their hair, but do cut their beards or even shave, still others both cut their hair and shave. (This is based upon personal observation; about 20 years ago a work colleague who was a Sikh who cut his hair and shaved his beard did try and explain it to me, but I'm afraid I've forgotten the reasons.)

Most Christians believe wearing a crucifix is an expression of their faith; but some believe it is idolatry and forbidden.

As I have said, whilst I hold to no religious beliefs myself, I do respect the right of others to do so; whichever religion they adhere to. I also respect the right of others to express their faith in anyway they choose, as long as they remain within the law.

Banning the burqa or niqab as part of banning all face coverings for security etc. reasons; fine. Banning them because you disagree with the beliefs of the women who wear them; bigotry.

At last you see my point......Security...........If a bird wants to wear a wigwam inside her own home.....great.........NOBODY has a problem with that. You made my day.....thumbsup.gif

Transam; the above comment from you shows that you either have not read any of my previous posts, or have failed to understand them.

Oooooooh yes I have, but, glad you understand why folk ban wigwams worn in public. Makes folk FEEL safer even though they may not be....thumbsup.gif

Since everyone at least seems to understand everyone else and everyone is willing to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya", I think we can successfully and happily close a topic.....for a change.

//CLOSED//

• Like 1