Phuket airport Immigration "schemes"

lowprofile

^ I pay taxes to the letter of the law, on four workers and myslef. My papers were perfect- I could see him getting annoyed in fact when he could find nothing wrong.

Or do you mean "special whitey tax"

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I pay taxes to the letter of the law, on four workers and myslef. My papers were perfect- I could see him getting annoyed in fact when he could find nothing wrong.

Company tax. In order for the extension to be renewed you need to pay a minimum amount of company taxes, I think 35K or something. So if your books don't show any profit, or not enough, you still have to pay those taxes.

Company tax. In order for the extension to be renewed you need to pay a minimum amount of company taxes, I think 35K or something. So if your books don't show any profit, or not enough, you still have to pay those taxes.

Really ... I have had a WP for about 13 years. Our company has made very little profit over the years. For sure we have never paid much more than a few K in company taxes each year. Nowhere near 35 K. Must be because I apply for extension under married to a Thai, although immigration do require all company balance sheets and certified account for the previous year.

Really ... I have had a WP for about 13 years. Our company has made very little profit over the years. For sure we have never paid much more than a few K in company taxes each year. Nowhere near 35 K. Must be because I apply for extension under married to a Thai, although immigration do require all company balance sheets and certified account for the previous year.

Just checked, I'm paying 35K and on that bases get yearly extension. I must admit though I really would have to check to see who is paying this, my wife, me or the company.

Is a shameful disgrace to treat visitors who bring income into the country in this way, the day will come when they rue their selfish childlike actions. The fee does not matter, it is the principle, I'll take the free line in no rush, 30 mins avg before bags anyhow, the 50 Bhat can go towards the overpriced Taxi or off set the 100Bhat surcharge for the Taxi meter... LOS ehh?

Just checked, I'm paying 35K and on that bases get yearly extension. I must admit though I really would have to check to see who is paying this, my wife, me or the company.

I pay 3800 tax a month, over 45,000 /year. I should have gotten an extension ( sorry OT I know but is immigration related)

I'm going to Hat Yai on Monday and show my papers to ... well anyone. Seems this profit excuse isn't a rule at all.

I know I'm leaving in 3 months but it's the principle, now I have a time limit strictly 90 days from next week , (assuming failure in Hat Yai, I can get a B in MY , maybe not.. who knows...? ) and may have to take less than I would otherwise for belongings, etc.

Edited by EBlair48

It won't be long before another You Tube clip is released, showing a very long que in the free lane/s, and several Immigration Officers sitting there doing nothing, in the 100 baht lanes.

It will go on the internet, and once again, show Phuket in a poor light.

It won't be long before another You Tube clip is released, showing a very long que in the free lane/s, and several Immigration Officers sitting there doing nothing, in the 100 baht lanes.

post it here when you find it..

post it here when you find it..

I'm sure it's a matter of time.

My last few visa runs have been out of Bangkok, via Pattaya, to visit friends, so I haven't experienced Phuket Airport Immigration Officers for a while.

Anyway, I'm sure someone will eventually take some video of this fiasco.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Is a shameful disgrace to treat visitors who bring income into the country in this way, the day will come when they rue their selfish childlike actions. The fee does not matter, it is the principle, I'll take the free line in no rush, 30 mins avg before bags anyhow, the 50 Bhat can go towards the overpriced Taxi or off set the 100Bhat surcharge for the Taxi meter... LOS ehh?

Airport to Rawai 800 baht, that is not expensive its cheap, depends on what you are used to paying

i suppose, who cares what a taxi costs in Bangkok or New Delhi, i do not want to live there as most

regular posters on this forum dont, easy to save money on taxi fares shift to Ba\ngkok and put up with

the pollution

No one commenting on the 300 Bt charge for a proof of residence document from Immigration? It's supposed to be free.

Yes, another scam to be sure. I don't pay that, I ask for receipt, they make a show about it " have to ask the commander... blah blah lie lie -" pass it to the back desk takes an extra 15 seconds, but I get it free

Of course now maybe that's why my application to extend my visa was denied last week- due to," insufficient profit margin on Co ltd. "

Did an accounting office handle the extension for you, or did you try to do it yourself?

Sorry I know we are strolling off topic, but the discussion is I guess interesting for many people.

Good grief, what next. Seems like a pretty blatant scam to me.

As the Police, under the supervision of the Army, dismantle some of the long standing illegal businesses, monopolies and rip offs and scams - I predict crime will rise and new scams and rip offs will take the place of the old ones.

Bloody hell NKM, try and keep the glass half full will ya!

• Like 1

I pay 3800 tax a month, over 45,000 /year. I should have gotten an extension ( sorry OT I know but is immigration related)

I'm going to Hat Yai on Monday and show my papers to ... well anyone. Seems this profit excuse isn't a rule at all.

I know I'm leaving in 3 months but it's the principle, now I have a time limit strictly 90 days from next week , (assuming failure in Hat Yai, I can get a B in MY , maybe not.. who knows...? ) and may have to take less than I would otherwise for belongings, etc.

Maybe the refusal had something to do with being in the first 2 years of operation, for extension 2 years of audited accounts are required, or with your salary being below the minimum amount required for your nationality?

The thing is, there are no new rules for this, so either your accountant does not know what she is doing or your accountant is not being honest with you.

It's raining tonight near the airport, so no police presence (they dissolve when wet...).

So no police ==> the immigration scam is back in operation tonight, 100 baht to avoid the deliberately-slow queues.

I had a couple of guests just fly in from Singapore. They were convinced that this was a 'scam' since they were approached in person by an immigration officer who touted for business. No printed signs indicating the fast-track of course.

BTW, I have nothing against paying a small amount for fast-track/VIP service at the airport. I DO have a problem when those who don't pay have to suffer deliberately-slow immigration lines, and the revenue from this scam benefits a bunch of corrupt officials.

simon43 - agreed, deliberately slowing down the normal lines is not cricket. Maybe someone needs to have a quiet word with them regarding the golden goose and it's imminent demise if they take it too far. Hey, I would even volunteer for this! I mean, surely they're not THAT stupid?

lowprofile - yes.

simon43 - agreed, deliberately slowing down the normal lines is not cricket. Maybe someone needs to have a quiet word with them regarding the golden goose and it's imminent demise if they take it too far. Hey, I would even volunteer for this! I mean, surely they're not THAT stupid?

lowprofile - yes.

Have you even known a Thai on Phuket to not take a scam "too far?" biggrin.png

Phuket Airport Immigration denies ‘express lane' corruption

post-35489-0-06620500-1404760004.jpg

PHUKET: Royal Thai Navy officers today called into question alleged corrupt practices by immigration officials at Phuket International Airport, such as soliciting cash payments from tourists.

“We have heard that many immigration counters are not open when tourists arrive on international flights, so officers are supposedly soliciting money from them to use a ‘VIP’ lane to avoid the long queues,” said Capt Somphong Narkthong of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command.

Airport Immigration Superintendent Watcharapol Kanjanakuntorn confirmed that immigration will comply with all orders from the Army, but denied that any officers solicited payments from tourists.

“I have never heard of officers collecting money from tourists. However, if anyone is asked to pay money to use a faster lane, please report it to me directly,” Lt Col Watcharapol said.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Airport-Immigration-denies-express-lane-corruption/31091

I think his card is well and truly marked.

post-35489-0-06620500-1404760004_thumb.j

Airport to Rawai 800 baht, that is not expensive its cheap, depends on what you are used to paying

i suppose, who cares what a taxi costs in Bangkok or New Delhi, i do not want to live there as most

regular posters on this forum dont, easy to save money on taxi fares shift to Ba\ngkok and put up with

the pollution

Ah good, the boys from Third Naval Command have had a word with Immigration at the airport, now have a look at the bent taxi pricing and none use of meters with trumped up surcharges. Your right ned, 800B Aiport to Rawai is good, but when was the last time you paid that price from the airport?

Don't know what Bangkok or New Delhi have to do with the price of fish mate, I just want to take a taxi in Phuket from the airport at a fair price not over inflated, if your daft enough to accept what your charged then thats your prerogative. A taxi meter is, well should have a meter (clue is in the title) no surcharge, no BS!

What a silly denial. Does he think the Navy just made the whole thing up? Lol.

I guess you couldn't just send a guy in civilian clothes in to observe. To catch them in the act, you'd have to actually have your plain clothes guy fly outside the country and then turn around and fly back in again since it's immigration arrivals he'd need to see. But that would've given the lie to this absurd denial and probably done more to really deal with the situation, catch the offending immigration officials, and put this supervisor on the spot.

Phuket is truly a whack-a-mole situation. They might put a stop to this or that racket, but another one will pop up to take its place... It's a mindset there.

“I have never heard of officers collecting money from tourists.

It never fails to amaze me how some people can tell such bare-faced lies, and expect others to believe them.

Oh, the scam was in full force last night, (it started to rain, so the army and police in the car-park all went home....).

The army checkpoint marquee by the airport exit gates had been completely demolished by the strong winds last night.

I guess you couldn't just send a guy in civilian clothes in to observe. To catch them in the act, you'd have to actually have your plain clothes guy fly outside the country and then turn around and fly back in again since it's immigration arrivals he'd need to see. But that would've given the lie to this absurd denial and probably done more to really deal with the situation, catch the offending immigration officials, and put this supervisor on the spot.

Phuket is truly a whack-a-mole situation. They might put a stop to this or that racket, but another one will pop up to take its place... It's a mindset there.

And when another one pops up the Army will smash it down, that's their mind set.

Perhaps someone could ask immigration for a receipt for their 100 baht payment?

Anyone like to take a photo of this fast-track line? Apparently, the head of immigration at the airport is unaware of it cheesy.gif

I'll check the weather forecast for this evening:

Dry ==> no fast-track line,

Rainy ==> fast-track line

After bedtime for the HoI, army and police ==> fast-track line

cheesy.gif

(Sorry, but this scam is such a blatant p*ss-take...)

<snip>

Anyone like to take a photo of this fast-track line?

<snip>

Exactly, Simon. I know it's risky, but maybe a smart phone in your shirt pocket recording a video showing you paying money to use the fast lane, and later uploaded to Youtube, would kill this scam off for good - and make a few officials unemployed.

• Like 1

If you think that denial is silly you really have not understood Thailand too well.

Immigration is forced to stop now and the Navy knows that, but immigration does not lose any face. So everybody happy. They do not want to catch people in the act for something like this.

• Like 2

If you think that denial is silly you really have not understood Thailand too well.

Immigration is forced to stop now and the Navy knows that, but immigration does not lose any face. So everybody happy. They do not want to catch people in the act for something like this.

"They do not want to catch people in the act" - and there in lays an inherent problem with Thailand.

This neglect of their duty leads to no accountability, and no one being responsible and accepting the consequences for their corrupt actions, within the community.

Thus, the wrong doing continues, and spreads to others, and gets larger.