Are there any real restrictions on ED-Visas?

I renewed my 1 year ED Visa 2 days ago, no issues, exactly the same process as previous years

"I renewed my 1 year ED Visa ..."

Visas are not renewable or extendable. Either you got a new visa at an embassy/consulate or you got an extension of stay from Immigrations.

As posted by George at the end of last year:

Stricter requirements, new application forms for ED visa extensions

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.

The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

and more ... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691465-stricter-requirements-new-application-forms-for-ed-visa-extensions/

Two year visa history of the student now required - what does it means? diploma?

Walen School of Thai pointing out these new requirements... When I wrote letter to Walen School 2 weeks ago, and asked which documents is required, they answered: passport, 8 recent pictures

(3 x 4 cm.) and the fee. Two another schools answered the same..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just received my ED visa last week from the Thai consulate in Penang, it came to light that you need to make sure that your application contains the following:

1. Minimum of 200 hours study

2. Stating that you are studying a minimum of 4-5 days per week.

When I was there, it seemed that only one school out of the 5 schools applying for ED visas on this trip had the correct information. All the other schools, mine included was missing the 4-5 study days and hence we (17 of us) where denied our ED visas.

It seems that although this Law has been in effect for over 1 year, the consulate decided to enforce it fully the day we applied due to a memo being received by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Had I not pushed reasoning and with the consulate, I finally managed to agree they would issue our visas if our schools faxed them proof of 5 days schooling. We were very fortunate that and having talked from 11am to almost 3pm with the consulate, we all finally left with our ED visas.

I do find it a little strange that only one school from so many had the correct paper work. The driver who also takes care of the correct paperwork was not aware of this rule as were non of the schools from which their visa application failed. When the driver requested a copy of this new rule, he was denied. I was lucky to record the discussion on with the consulate my phone, getting names etc and requesting a copy of this rule which they would not supply. It was only after I threatened to go to Facebook and youtube that they finally caved in. They worked an additional 3 hours to redo all the ED visas that same day.

Please make sure your school is aware of this as you will not receive your ED visa without the above 2 points I have listed.

Also be aware that a very high percentage of visa runners are being requested to show 20K THB at the border so for your own good, make sure you carry this money with youth avoid problems.

Thank you for prevention! Its usefull information. Its mean that I must pay for 200hours, and chek in documents to have this information was shown there, before going for a visa?

While any subject at an approved school will do that most commonly will be languages, maybe computer skills.

So you could study Thai for 3 years (possibly longer), but be prepared to actually show some language skills when re-applying for follow-up visa on this.

You could in theory then go for Russian, then German, then...

I've also seen a "ED-visa enabled" 1-year course for TEFL if you are thinking about a teaching career, but it's round 60k Baht.

Most important thing will be to have your papers together, especially regarding income. Did me a world of good so far.

So, Thailand is famed for its German and Russian language schools ?

Yes, it is. Because all the chicks wanting to go to Germany with their farang hubbies need Goethe Institute's 1A German certificate. Unless they already are the mother of a minor unmarried child with German citizenship, i.e. of a German father (and I seem to recall the language regulation was considered unlawful by some court).

There are to my knowledge some courses in Russain offered.

Well, I have should ever have to go on ED visa I certainly wouldn't get away with studying German, but I so need to brush up on my English ;-))

Having just received my ED visa last week from the Thai consulate in Penang, it came to light that you need to make sure that your application contains the following:

When I was there, it seemed that only one school out of the 5 schools applying for ED visas on this trip had the correct information. All the other schools, mine included was missing the 4-5 study days and hence we (17 of us) where denied our ED visas.

/snip/

Thank you for prevention! Its usefull information. Its mean that I must pay for 200hours, and chek in documents to have this information was shown there, before going for a visa?

Most schools will require you to pay the full fee in advance and should get all the paperwork out of the way for you, which should take some 3 weeks. So you might be on a rather tight schedule if you're on visa exempt when applying. You obviously would then have to leave the country and apply somewhere for that ED visa (with some countries of origin you can only do it in your home country), and regularly shell out aditional fees at immigration and embassies.

Visit some three of four schools in person and have a look round if they seem organized and up to the task. Compare the timetables with those of other schools (possibly Walen, which is a sponsor here) and try to figure out if s.th. looks fishy. It's a lot of money after all.

Visa history to me sounds like they want to know how often and for how long you have been to Thailand the past two years.

Exactly. It's in the application forms linked in either this thread or another. They want the complete history two years back on that form.

Well, try to look wealthy and the type of foreigner they can like, it's probably all down to discretion again.

most schools are run by brown envelopes under tables

the restrictions are usually publicised but in the last 5-10 years

ive not seen a schoool actually closed for this offence

the few exceptions are ones that had no physical premises

and promised to reach by skype or some ridulouous online means

does a person really need to be in thailand if he can only spend an hour or two a week on skype learnin thai ?

Of course he needs to be in Thailand, or can you practice Thai in Germany? You learn by reading signs by the road, in the shops, speaking with the merchants, girls in the bars, etc. Stop whining, topic closed!

• Like 1

I've just got back from class and the teacher pointed out that if I want to leave the country one has to go to Immigration as normal but also apply for a student ID card and sit a test?

Is this fact?

Fiction, all you need is a reentry permit, 1000 baht at the immigration.

Many are studying English, Russian, German, or even Thai box. I just wonder why some of the retired or working expats have a problem with this. There are people coming to Thailand who have enough resources to enjoy the life and not having to work. Simple as that. So enjoy your life and stop whining about things that are not your business anyway.

Nicely said.

The grave-dodgers are just pissed because the younger guys "cockblock" them with the local women.

No problem with them at all if they're legit students. Some of us do have a problem with people abusing the ED visa system (any visa or extension system) because it makes things harder and harder for the legitimate students that will follow, or rather, won't be able to follow- because the loopholers screwed up a good thing for everyone.

If someone has enough resources to "enjoy the life and not have to work", they have enough to get a proper visa. If they don't get a visa appropriate for their situation, it's either because they choose not to follow the rules and make the required investment ($$$ or classroom time) into their new country of choice, or they really don't have the resources.

Edit: You may want to consider the possibility that some of us grave dodgers have been around long enough to see doors slamming shut on wonderful opportunities because of ____blockers that abuse the system, and we'd like to see Thailand stay open for future generations.

Edited by impulse

Of course he needs to be in Thailand, or can you practice Thai in Germany? You learn by reading signs by the road, in the shops, speaking with the merchants, girls in the bars, etc. Stop whining, topic closed!

is that not a decision for a Moderator? Out of interest by that logic nobody learns a foreign language in their own country,

Edit: You may want to consider the possibility that some of us grave dodgers have been around long enough to see doors slamming shut on wonderful opportunities because of ____blockers that abuse the system, and we'd like to see Thailand stay open for future generations.

Really! Caring for my nephews, that's very nice of you. It's amazing how your measured keystrokes will change the future of a country.

Really! Caring for my nephews, that's very nice of you. It's amazing how your measured keystrokes will change the future of a country.

You have a nice day, too.

I have never heard of point 2. That means you have to go to school almost every day. Whilst that might be reasonable if the school is just around the corner, it is not very practical for those of us who have to travel to the school, (I have to drive almost the length of Phuket to go to my Chinese language school ==> a lot of petrol if I go every day).

I can understand point 1, but what is wrong with attending say 2 days per week if the total number of study hours is achieved?

I have never heard of point 2. That means you have to go to school almost every day. Whilst that might be reasonable if the school is just around the corner, it is not very practical for those of us who have to travel to the school, (I have to drive almost the length of Phuket to go to my Chinese language school ==> a lot of petrol if I go every day).

I can understand point 1, but what is wrong with attending say 2 days per week if the total number of study hours is achieved?

OK, so if this is 200 hours a week, does it have to be in the classroom or is it like an 'intensive' where you go three days a week and study and hand in assignments to appraise your comprehension of the subject matter?

OK, so if this is 200 hours a week, does it have to be in the classroom or is it like an 'intensive' where you go three days a week and study and hand in assignments to appraise your comprehension of the subject matter?

I think you meant 200 hours for a year.

Only 4 hours a week is needed. It can be done in one day if you want to.

If someone has enough resources to "enjoy the life and not have to work", they have enough to get a proper visa. If they don't get a visa appropriate for their situation, it's either because they choose not to follow the rules and make the required investment ($$$ or classroom time) into their new country of choice, or they really don't have the resources.

OK, give me your suggestion for someone who has enough money, is under 50, does not want to work in Thailand, does not want to get married, and has no Thai child. Looking forward to your answer. And please give me one that does not "abuse the system" :)

OK, give me your suggestion for someone who has enough money, is under 50, does not want to work in Thailand, does not want to get married, and has no Thai child. Looking forward to your answer. And please give me one that does not "abuse the system" smile.png

1) if the above resources stem from a state pension you might be able to get a Non-Immigrant "O" visa even if under 50 (not the Non-O "A", you'll have to quit the country every 90 days)

2) enough resources will definitely help you in getting a chain of ED-visa until you are 50. You might actually have to study, especially for Thai courses, but you got plenty of time on your hands anyway

3) invest some 1 million Baht and start a business with 51% of shares in the hand of Thai partners for a Non-B-Visa. Doesn't get you a working permit, two very different things, might take the right contracts to work with the right Thai employees, but would work. Would need a lot of research on how to go about this and additional costs for accountants and the like, and sure be risky.

4) feed the government 2 million Baht and 20 k Baht a year for "Thai Elite Status" for extendable 1-y-stays with no border-runs. Might be rather desperate, but if you've got the money....

5) If you got the funds, you can potentially use tourist visa. Break the chain of "back-to-back" visa by staying in Cambodia for a month or two, travel around, return to your home country periodically, where the chances of getting triple-entries are much higher than in the neighbourhood of Thailand. Costly though, accommodation, storing and hauling round stuff will be the most costly factors.

Edited by Saradoc1972

Why should there be any change? ED visa is a very positive thing for the Thai economy, students pay the fee for the courses, accommodation, 1900 Baht every three month at the immigration, spend their money for food, entertainment, etc. Why on Earth would Thailand even consider cancelling ED visa?

There is no need to change the status of course.

However the immigration authorities are well aware that all too many ( as in not all but all too many ) people are using the Ed Visa as a means to stay in Thailand long term while many do not even go to the Thai language schools or language lessons and ....a good number use the visa as a means to stay and find employment.

What percent ...no one knows for sure but the authorities could begin to scrutinize the ED Visas also and change the rules at any time.

Just saying.

Thats it, but this are only step 1(Tourist) and step 2(ED), more will follow - but those 2 types will get changes was announced already Long time ago...

it will take time.. or under the new situations now it will get cleaned up very quick.. who knows..?

Yes, who knows what could develop.

However, what ever does develop there is always a way to resolve the situation......as in, you know what I mean?

1) if the above resources stem from a state pension you might be able to get a Non-Immigrant "O" visa even if under 50 (not the Non-O "A", you'll have to quit the country every 90 days)

2) enough resources will definitely help you in getting a chain of ED-visa until you are 50. You might actually have to study, especially for Thai courses, but you got plenty of time on your hands anyway

3) invest some 1 million Baht and start a business with 51% of shares in the hand of Thai partners for a Non-B-Visa. Doesn't get you a working permit, two very different things, might take the right contracts to work with the right Thai employees, but would work. Would need a lot of research on how to go about this and additional costs for accountants and the like, and sure be risky.

4) feed the government 2 million Baht and 20 k Baht a year for "Thai Elite Status" for extendable 1-y-stays with no border-runs. Might be rather desperate, but if you've got the money....

5) If you got the funds, you can potentially use tourist visa. Break the chain of "back-to-back" visa by staying in Cambodia for a month or two, travel around, return to your home country periodically, where the chances of getting triple-entries are much higher than in the neighbourhood of Thailand. Costly though, accommodation, storing and hauling round stuff will be the most costly factors.

1. who would want to quit the country every 90 days, so a big NO

2. YES, this is the one we are speaking about, the one and only

3. I do not want to work, and do not want to invest in some non-performing business either so a big NO

4. NO WAY, desperate way really

5. tourist visa is out of question since I do not like to travel and leave the country every 3 months

You're definitely catching my drift.

1) will be what I'll have to do for some 8 years IF I'm lucky, else 2) ... 1) is not that bad from my point of view, you'd actually be the envy of most "border-runners" worrying if they get even a double-entry tourist visa in Vientiane or somewhere and switching entry points every 3 months

3) wouldn't involve actually working IF you can manage being a business angle to some (excuse language) "native" who manages to "perform" on some sort of deal that involves salary based on turn-over or whatever, possibly observing stipulations as to minimum income. By the posts in your profile you appear the entrepreneurel sort.

Well, it's all that springs to my mind, and I am legal and have gone through a bit of a learning curve on the subject.

OK, give me your suggestion for someone who has enough money, is under 50, does not want to work in Thailand, does not want to get married, and has no Thai child. Looking forward to your answer. And please give me one that does not "abuse the system" smile.png

There's also the Thailand Elite Easy Access 5 year membership which as you're under 50 and have 'enough money' falang07 it only costs 500k Baht with no yearly fee.

You can sign up to that and stay for 5 years no problem. If you like it after 5 years, maybe renew it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Some might be rich, but not stupid. The elite card is a big joke (and I thought if was 2M, not 500k). Remember, the more money one has, the less he/she wants to waste it on stupid and overpriced things smile.png

Edited by falang07

OK, easy access is 500,000 for 5 years. At 1k per year, still quite overpriced, I can get ED visa for 20k including language courses with nice teachers which is much more fun and 80,000 to spend for trips etc. Anyway, I agree it is one of the options and might be of interest to some.

At the time of applying for my ED visa, the consulate stated that this 2 rules have been in force since last year however, they now have to enforce this "new" ruling. It does not mean you have to attend school 4-5 days per week for real but it must state these 2 "facts" on your ED visa application. Reading between the lines, she stated that too many "students" are not attending class so they are looking that you attend almost every day. I will be attending 2 days per week as per the schools real schedule but to receive my visa, this was the consulates requirement, at least in Penang.