Macbook vibrates

junglechef

My Macbook Pro vibrates when plugged in and people get a shock from me when I'm on it. I suppose it's a ground but I use an power strip (guess with a surge protector?). The touch pad and other things go wacky (you can see from my technical terms I'm not a techie). Anyway it's two years old and I just called Apple and asked if they'd mind sending me a new one for free and they said sure (really!!!). No idea if my current one is just a lemon (that's not a apple/fruit ref.) as it's had two logic boards replaced in the last year as well as many other bits and pieces (all for free even though it was out of warrantee - I got good Apple karma me thinks). But by chance it was caused in part from the way I use it I was wondering if your pros could give me any advice on what to do with my new one that might be different this time around. Somebody told me don't always leave it plugged in as it should go down 5% (or to 5%??) once a week and also if I should get a good ground or surge protector (and what that is if so). Thant kind of thing or any other advise you think would be helpful.

Much Obliged,

JC

I'm not sure what we are 'supposed' to do with regards to unplugging etc...

I'm on my 3rd Mac (MBP) I leave it plugged in all the time - sometimes its plugged in for a week or more.

I rarely turn it off or re-boot it (about twice per month).

I don't use a surge protector, the Power adaptor takes care of all of that.

I've never had any issues.... I'm not sure what could be the issue with your mac.

• Like 1

My Macbook Pro vibrates when plugged in and people get a shock from me when I'm on it

Try being less abrasive, provide little less detailed about your true yet sordid past when posting on the Internet and ThaiVisa.

I suppose it's a ground but I use an power strip (guess with a surge protector?)

A power strip may be hard on clothing, better to go for a slow and sultry. A good grounding in interpretive dance may help smooth out those surges.
​Oh, wait, are these lead-ins to a technical question??

I think the real issue here might be a floating ground (ground wire not connected to an actual ground stake).

The 'surge suppression' is more about lightning strikes to the power line. The power strip can't/doesn't adjust for under/over voltage conditions.

The touch pad and other things go wacky (you can see from my technical terms I'm not a techie). Anyway it's two years old and I just called Apple and asked if they'd mind sending me a new one for free and they said sure (really!!!). No idea if my current one is just a lemon (that's not a apple/fruit ref.) as it's had two logic boards replaced in the last year as well as many other bits and pieces (all for free even though it was out of warrantee - I got good Apple karma me thinks).

Lucky you. Usually companies only willingly replace out of warranty when they know about productions/design issues.

Logic boards can be adversely affected by transient stray voltage due to a faulty ground -- but then apple wouldn't be so willing to replace the boards out-of-warranty so willingly if the cause could be pinned to other more likely events.

But by chance it was caused in part from the way I use it I was wondering if your pros could give me any advice on what to do with my new one that might be different this time around. Somebody told me don't always leave it plugged in as it should go down 5% (or to 5%??) once a week and also if I should get a good ground or surge protector (and what that is if so). Thant kind of thing or any other advise you think would be helpful.

Verify that the power socket has a valid/verifiable ground and that your power strip is a true 3-wire (Load/Neutral/Ground) and not a 2-wire (Load/Neutral/open hole).

As for the 5% of whatever... the following is on the Apple website:

Your New Notebook
Your new Apple notebook features advanced battery chemistry that greatly extends the battery’s lifespan. The built-in battery of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air is designed to deliver up to 1000 full charge and discharge cycles before it reaches 80 percent of its original capacity. In addition, Adaptive Charging reduces the wear and tear on the battery giving it a lifespan of up to 5 years. Be sure to fully charge your portable when you plug it in for the first time, and then run Software Update to ensure you have the latest software. Apple periodically releases updates that may improve battery performance.
Standard Maintenance
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Much Obliged,

JC

Bottom line, check the ground. Have a wire added to a separate ground stake if needed (if only to limit people acting shocked when you're using your laptop).
Unplug the power supply when not using the laptop for a few days (the power grid in LOS is not your friend).
No real need to power cycle the batteries unless you're storing the unit for long periods.

The real damage to batteries and components is heat, and extreme operating temperature cycles. Try to keep the laptop cool. Check the air vents and keep them clear of dust and debris.

Don't expect a laptop to last more than 3-5 years. While some can last longer, it's not the norm.

Edited by RichCor

Great to hear they are replacing it! thumbsup.gif .... obviously it must be a known issue with them... although never heard of it...wink.png

I would seriously suggest while you still have it, that you wear rubber shoes... that should help with the shock problem, I think the ground wire is not working by the sound of things or perhaps you because you are not using a ground plug ... !

Also even with the new one get a laptop cooling pad fan, they are quite cheap and does help keep it cooler.... which should extend the life.

Exact same problem with my MBP. As phazey described, a tingling sensation when running my fingers over the metal case. An occasional shock. My wife refused to use the computer after twice getting shocked (she is somewhat smarter than me). I never reported this to Apple because I could not replicate the problem outside of the in-law's house; I suspect improper ground or earth as some would say. I stayed in the home for 3 months, tolerated the problem; back in the States now and no lingering affects from the problem.

As mentioned, no proper earth ground to the power strip. PCs do the exact same thing. Without the earth ground you will get that 'tingling' feeling or stronger depending on how much contact between your feet and the floor surface. Also without a proper ground, the internal RF filters and surge protection on the Mac will not be fully functional.

• Like 1

HI

I have a MacBook Air. I noticed that when I recharged my computer the white serge box would get very hot. If I power the computer down and then recharge it the box is cool. I don't know if the heat can hurt anything but I now recharge my computer with it turned off.

Dana

I had the same issue in my previous house.

Here is the bottom line without all the BS attached.

The outlet you are plugged into is either not earthed or improperly earthed.

I suggest you buy an Elektra power stirip[b695]. They have one that has a red and green LED above the Elektra logo. When plugged in if it glows red you have no earth. If green you are fine.

Is that MacBook for sale? I'm looking for a vibrating one for my GF....

Yeah it's for sale, but i don't think you can afford it.

How about keeping your smartass comments to yourself. The OP has a legit issue and is just looking for a fix.

• Like 1

HI

I have a MacBook Air. I noticed that when I recharged my computer the white serge box would get very hot. If I power the computer down and then recharge it the box is cool. I don't know if the heat can hurt anything but I now recharge my computer with it turned off.

Dana

The white power supply has a tendency to get warm but it should not get hot to the touch.

If your MBA is less than a year old, I would have your retailer check it.

How does an earthed socket come into any form of play when the power brick that comes with MBP's has only two legs?

All my sockets are earthed, my MBP2011 and MBP2012 both had the vibration effect when you touched the chassis. My MBP2013 does not however.

How does an earthed socket come into any form of play when the power brick that comes with MBP's has only two legs?

I wrongly assumed it had a 3 wire power brick as another forum states that it comes with one though the 3rd (ground) wire is a tab rather than a pin. Just Googled 'Macbook pro getting shocks' and a lot of hits. One comment on another forum:

Hi, I have this tingling sensation since macbook pro 2007, when charging without the grounded cable (3 prongs adaptor head). Since then I have searched online for a solution but nothing available.

Also, do you have anything else plugged into it that uses a standalone power supply such as an external USB drive or monitor?

I should also note that using an MBP2012 power brick with my MBP2013 = no shocks - so it appears to be something they've changed in the PC itself.

@Tywais: My older MBP's had the shock issue even with nothing else plugged into them.

I wrongly assumed it had a 3 wire power brick as another forum states that it comes with one though the 3rd (ground) wire is a tab rather than a pin. Just Googled 'Macbook pro getting shocks' and a lot of hits. One comment on another forum:

Hi, I have this tingling sensation since macbook pro 2007, when charging without the grounded cable (3 prongs adaptor head). Since then I have searched online for a solution but nothing available.

Also, do you have anything else plugged into it that uses a standalone power supply such as an external USB drive or monitor?

The brick itself has only a 2 prong s. The Mac also comes with an extension cord that has 3. Use the extension with an earthed outlet and you won't experience any static electric discharge.

Yes in Thailand this will happen, it is due to the lack of an earth.

Happened with my new Macbook Pro till I returned to the UK and that was the end of it.

It can be very dangerous if you happen to earth yourself while holding the Mac also it is no good for the inside workings due to the free flow of electrons around the mac body.

The solution is to earth the domestic supply as this not always possible best to ensure you use it with care keep shoes on and isolate it as best you.

Some hotels are earthed so no issue, however most are not so be carefull.

You do get used to it but as said you can get the expected belt.