Non 'O' Marriage to Retirement - Anyone done recently?

Kellynch

I understand that there's no specific procedure for this, I just change the reason to Retirement. I know about the financial requirements, I'd be grateful if someone could confirm what forms and copies they need. Last year they caught me out by not accepting a copy of my bank book from the previous day and I had to nip to Airport Plaza to update it - Is it still happening?

• Like 1

Usually, they'll accept a bank book that was updated the previous day for a retirement visa extension, if that way the day you obtained the letter from the bank. They want the two to agree.

Realistically you have to show up at the crack of dawn, before the banks or malls open, to obtain a queue number to be seen at Immigration that day.

I suppose if you have an appointment at Immigration or use a visa agent who tells you to show up at Immigration at a certain time, then it is possible to have time to get to the bank for an update on the same day as you go to Immigration, but for most that isn't possible.

It sounds like they were just trying to throw up a hurdle for the OP last year to watch him squirm or maybe there wasn't a letter from the bank.

If one meets the financial requirements for a retirement extension, it should be much smoother sailing at Immigration than when requesting a marriage extension.

Edited by NancyL

I'm in Chiang Mai and actually had one of the officers there recommend that I switch from Marriage to Retirement. I asked what was needed, and it was a hell of a lot less than all the paperwork for Marriage Extension renewal! I never showed my bank book or letter from the bank, but merely the Income Verification from the US Embassy, with a break down showing my two incomes. The guy did the math, smiled at me and said: "Good enough". Whole process took about 20 minutes. I've renewed twice since then, and it's been a breeze compared to the Marriage Extension. My advice - Do it!

• Like 2

I'm in Chiang Mai and actually had one of the officers there recommend that I switch from Marriage to Retirement. I asked what was needed, and it was a hell of a lot less than all the paperwork for Marriage Extension renewal! I never showed my bank book or letter from the bank, but merely the Income Verification from the US Embassy, with a break down showing my two incomes. The guy did the math, smiled at me and said: "Good enough". Whole process took about 20 minutes. I've renewed twice since then, and it's been a breeze compared to the Marriage Extension. My advice - Do it!

The reason that they will suggest a switch to a Retirement extension is that it is easier for them. Depending on your circumstances it may be the correct choice for you.

You can't get PR.

You can't work legally.

You need twice the money in the bank or a higher income or combination of both.

You can't get citizenship.

You can combine money in the bank and income and if you do there is no seasoning time for the bank deposit. (Though I guess that the income needs to be a significant percentage, I don't know any detail.)

Less paperwork.

Faster.

• Like 1

You'll need:

1. TM 7 form complete with photo

2. Your Passport

3. Photocopies of your passport pages upto your last entry

4. Photocopy of the entry card

5a. Alternative 1

i) Your bankbook updated lasted the day before application showing at least 800,000 baht or more fore the past three months (tvo months when doing the first application);

ii) Photocopies of your bankbook pages;

iii) A certificate from you bank; or

5b. Alternative 2

i) A statement from your Embassy or consulate in Thailand verifying a monthly income of minimum 65,000 baht.

• Like 1

I'm really grateful for the help everyone.

Last year I had the Bank letter and book statement from the day before; They explained that the letter was alright from yesterday but they were covering the possibility that I may have used some of the money after getting the book statement.

I'm especially grateful to 'stgrhe' for the documents and copies needed. I vaguely remember someone telling about a Health Certificate. If so, any ideas about how many days Immigration consider it valid?

... and there's no going back....

If you are saying that you cannot go back to an extension based on marriage then you are incorrect. They will discourage it for the same reasons that they encourage a change to 'retirement'. Less work for them.

to OP... Health certificate is not required for extension based on retirement.

well actually if you are married to a thai you look like a dumm fool, you need to give so many stupid papers to get a year extension visa.... plus interview and controll in your house from immigration that comes too....but with a retirement visa ....man you just need to show the 800 000 baths for 2 mounts in a thai bank and thats it....! easy ..even if you are married with a thai.

what does it mean? that they only want your money.....they dont care about your marriage status....you are nothing to them.!

also, how can they call a visa...non immigrant visa for a person who stay more than a years in thailand without leaving? of course we are immigrants, when we go to another country to live , we always are immigrants.

the name allready is a mistake of language.

coffee1.gif

^^ An Immigrant visa, by definition would allow you to stay in a country permanently. A non-immigrant visa, on the other hand , only allows temporary stay in the country.

In the case of Thailand a non-immigrant visa only allows a 90 day stay ( ie temporary) if you obtain a 1 year extension (not a visa) it is still temporary and has to be extended every year one year at a time,

The term 'Non-Immigrant Visa' is, therefore correct.

yes....,"this" is still happening (Samut Prakan). I had gotten copies of my bank statement the day prior....however on the next day (when I went to Immig.) they made my wife run to the nearest ATM and get a receipt showing the balance in my account. Their logic was that I could have redrawn all the funds prior to coming to immigration for my retirement extension.....

geeze....I suppose I could have done that

But seriously....

You have to have brain damage or some form of mental retardation to work at immigration IN MY OPINION!

NO I AM NOT A TROLL

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY OPINION....TOO BAD

IF YOU GET PISSED FROM READING MY OPINION....THEN IT'S YOUR DAMN FAULT

IF YOU WANT TO REPORT ME

THEN YOU ARE THE TROLL

Usually, they'll accept a bank book that was updated the previous day for a retirement visa extension, if that way the day you obtained the letter from the bank. They want the two to agree.

Realistically you have to show up at the crack of dawn, before the banks or malls open, to obtain a queue number to be seen at Immigration that day.

I suppose if you have an appointment at Immigration or use a visa agent who tells you to show up at Immigration at a certain time, then it is possible to have time to get to the bank for an update on the same day as you go to Immigration, but for most that isn't possible.

It sounds like they were just trying to throw up a hurdle for the OP last year to watch him squirm or maybe there wasn't a letter from the bank.

If one meets the financial requirements for a retirement extension, it should be much smoother sailing at Immigration than when requesting a marriage extension.

Not my experience. The will accept the bank letter to be dated one or two days before but require the bank book to be updated on the actual day of application.

You are right. IME, is is vastly more plain sailing than jumping through the numerous hoops for the marriage extension.

Baerboxer, if you're talking about Chiang Mai Immigration, there physically is no way you can update your bank book on the day if you have to arrive at Immigration at 6 am for the morning scrum when they open the doors around 7 am for the pre-queue numbers for when they actually start to issue the real queue numbers at around 8 am. You could be one of the early numbers -- called in to see the Immigration officer around 9 or 9:30 am. No machines around the Immigration office to use to update your passbook.

I've always done the bank letter and updated my passbook the day before I go in for my retirement extension and never had any questions. -- in Chiang Mai. This is the Chiang Mai forum, after all.

In Chiang Mai, (in late June) one of the most experienced immigration officers who has been processing these extensions for years specifically confirmed that seven days (7) is the rule for the letter and the bank book. I have never been questioned over the years.

NancyL has practical advice above if you are concerned. It is normally easy enough to obtain the letter and update a bank book balance the day before. (Some people who bank electronically can even do this on-line 24/7; just bring a screen shot. If really nervous, you can even update the book at practically every outdoor bank branch kiosk at any time day or night. Just plan ahead, if concerned.

More generally, the rules have not in my experience in Chiang Mai changed over several years. It is true, however, if an officer chooses, to ask for further documentation or confirmation. Perhaps that is a "spot check" or has to do with the applicant's appearance or demeanor.

A practical word of caution about affadavit letters from consulates about income sources. You had better have handy proof of sources (e.g., pension award letters) and proof of regular sufficient transfer of funds to Thailand. If Thai Immigration decides to investigate income sources more closely, then many expats who can not confirm acceptable legitimate sources and trasnfers of funds might be in for a very nasty surprise.

My last visit to Chiang Mai Immigration: two extensions, two new re-entry permit and two 90-day report in about 2 1/2 hours. The re-entry visa application process was quite slow that Monday afternoon. The officers seem to have to do a lot of manual journal logging. The rest was a snap. No new rules. No hassle. Not so very uncomfortable.

To repeat some good news on 90-day reports who might have missed it, reports may be done by mail at Chiang Mai. Just follow Tywais' pinned instuctions above.

To avoid confusion, I do hope expats who do not use the Chiang Mai office would not post their experience at other immigration offices on the Chiang Mai site.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1