Need an advice or ideas regarding an elderly lady.

bananafarang

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As requested I have posted information regarding assisted living in Thailand. (cost between $325 to $825 month)

And also have previously posted  a site showing assisted living places in the Sacramento area (average per month $3350)

NOTE....none of the facilities provide medical care!

I'm afraid your pricing of assisted living in Thailand is incorrect. The $325-$825 is only for the addition costs if you need help with things from dressing yourself to incontinence.  

I only looked at one of the properties at the website you mentioned, and the cost was 90,000 baht/month/person plus VAT.  Would bring the prices of a care home here vs. US to an almost level range.

As requested I have posted information regarding assisted living in Thailand. (cost between $325 to $825 month)

And also have previously posted  a site showing assisted living places in the Sacramento area (average per month $3350)

I'm afraid your pricing of assisted living in Thailand is incorrect. The $325-$825 is only for the addition costs if you need help with things from dressing yourself to incontinence.  

I only looked at one of the properties at the website you mentioned, and the cost was 90,000 baht/month/person plus VAT.  Would bring the prices of a care home here vs. US to an almost level range.

Konini

You are absolutely right .....am badwub.png

but if you note (by reading ALL my posts) I was only using that as a reference so that they could "google" to find on their own the right place for her.

Nancy L....has come up with probably the best idea for assisted living which was the Dok Kaew Gardens (associated with Mckean Center)

Not sure of the cost but this site seems to imply its about $1000/month (including health care?)

http://www.retire2thailand.com/retire2-assisted-living.php

Still A LOT cheaper than the US of A.wai.gif

Edited by beachproperty

With almost all of her medical costs covered in the US, it's kind of a no brainer for her to go back.  Plus, there are very few doctors here who are trained to deal with dementia/Alzheimers.  Very few.

She can turn all of her assets and future income over to the state.  They'll take care of her in an assisted living facility with the gap being covered by the federal government.

Having researched assisted living in the US, $3350 is pretty much for just a room and food.  If you have dementia, and it gets serious, they'll kick you out.  Happened to my neighbor's mother.  Ended up having to put her in a hospital at 7k per month!  But she was getting mean and aggressive.  The assisted living home wasn't setup to deal with that.

I am some what amazed that everybody has jump on the dementia bandwagon!

This was the OP's observation ...a layman's diagnosis....(if she had dementia ...I doubt she would have been able to fly alone on a 20 hour flight with connections).

And his observation that she had "Mild dementia" was after said 20 hour flight and the shock of her son dying! Personally I think most of us would be a little "spaced out" after such an ordeal.

First step for her would be to have a medical examination to determine her overall health including if she has dementia.

Not disputing that she should go back to the USA....probably best for her....(My earlier posts were only to the effect that she was here, has a daughter in law here and as such should explore that possibility)

Whatever she does ...I DO wish her the best of lucksmile.png

• Like 2

If she have means to come back to California and look for help in any City Seniors Center, I am absolutely sure that she will be placed the same day in a Senior Homeless Facility, with free meals and counseling/legal support to get free Medical/Medicare and Senior Housing, and deal with Social Security Disability issues.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed again. Please stop using bold font when posting.

.......and I thought the 'data brokers'  of America, knew everything about everyone,  use one of them online,  or  call a Private Investigator in Sacramento,  I'm sure it would not take long to  get something relevent,  if her dementia, is only mild,  she might find a senior housing place and section 8 housing,  and would meet folks in her unit probably 

if the dementia is moderate, IMHO , she should qualify  for a  care home,  she might have to spend down her assets, but she would be deemed  a ward of the state with a guardian(though this will take some time and effort), and hence disabled enough i'm guessing ......... 

I can't believe the posters advising a 70 year old American woman to stay in Thailand, and end her days here eating strange food with complete strangers in a strange land speaking a strange language she will never learn a word of.

Neversure's post was spot on. 

First help her back to California. Then try to get at least some of that $20k back. The first far outweighs the second, though.

In addition.    What kind of people think a thai wants to take in a dementiated senoir citizen they have no relationship with.   Im sure they would take the $1800 but what will that get the lady?

You must run with a very different crowd than I do.

The "relationship" was that this "Thai" was married to the woman's son. For most of us, marriage is part of a loving & caring relationship and that caring would be extended to the parents of our spouse.
  • Like 1

Again, as a widow of an American veteran, she can get medical expenses here reimbursed.  You have to pay up front, and it takes months to get reimbursed, but they cover up to 70% or so of most procedures.  Not sure about meds.

This sounds like something she can definitely utilize in the future. Do you have any more information? How can she find out the eligibility and what is the process of application?

Too many unanswered questions here.  Too many guessing without having all the facts.  You say her husband was a veteran. What exactly do you mean? Did he serve long enough to get retirement for the service?  If so, was he a member of any veterans organizations?  If he was, then I would go directly to them because they have resources to help. Udorn, Korat, and Bangkok have VFW posts you can contact if he was a VFW member.  As far as medical, was the husband and her enrolled in Tri-Care? 

Forget about California for now.  Too many obstacles in getting her help. Section 8 has a 2 year waiting list even in emergency.  Medi-Cal is useless based on what you said her income was. I looked into it. Her monthly share of cost makes not viable.

You said she was Korean. Next would be to look for relatives in Korea.  How about a Korean Church in the vicinity of where you are.  Check into that. Is she still a Korean citizen? With that said, does she have a Korean passport?  If so check with the Korean Embassy.

Seems to me you have to ask her a lot of probing questions to get the answers in order to really help her.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...