I don't have a degree but I believe I can teach...

I hate the argument of someone being "unqualified" just because they dont have a university degree. This is absolutely ridiculous. Just because you studied political science, art history, marketing, or whatever DOES NOT mean you are a better/more qualified English teacher than someone who does not have a degree.... How can anyone even begin to argue this point?  

I also hate that schools will hire Germans, French, Greeks, Arabs or whoever over a native speaker JUST because they have a degree.... Absolutely ridiculous. 

But hey, its the rules, Thailand says to be qualified to teach the ABCs to 5 year olds, you have to have a degree. Otherwise they will hire a German or a Thai over you.

Almost as ridiculous as trying to argue someone can simply be a teacher of English just because they happen to be a NES.

Teaching is a profession.

True but having a degree in accountancy doesn't mean you can teach but I know someone employed as a teacher on that basis.

I did a TEFL course in the UK about 20 months ago partly because I'd been asked on several occasions to teach here and  wanted to have an idea of what's involved although the difficulty of getting a work permit for anything other than full time has stopped me up to now. The course was 100 hours online which was appalling and 20 hours over 2 days being taught by a guy who'd just come back from 10 years of teaching in Thailand. That was much better. One thing it did show me was that teaching is more difficult than it looks.

I do think that teaching a class of 30 would be a lot different than just helping with pronunciation in a small group which is what I've been asked to do. I have actually done that elsewhere but although I've never dealt with a big class I'm guessing that's a lot more challenging.

Before I came here I worked in the UK with dental surgeons from all over the world including some who taught at well known teaching hospitals. They all have degrees and it's amazing how bad at the job many of them were and it got worse over the years.

All Drs have degrees and some that I have had were appalling.

• Like 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the argument of someone being "unqualified" just because they dont have a university degree. This is absolutely ridiculous. Just because you studied political science, art history, marketing, or whatever DOES NOT mean you are a better/more qualified English teacher than someone who does not have a degree.... How can anyone even begin to argue this point?  

I also hate that schools will hire Germans, French, Greeks, Arabs or whoever over a native speaker JUST because they have a degree.... Absolutely ridiculous. 

But hey, its the rules, Thailand says to be qualified to teach the ABCs to 5 year olds, you have to have a degree. Otherwise they will hire a German or a Thai over you.

You have to have a degree in Education.
If all you have is a degree in political science, with no postgrad educational qualification, you won't be working as a teacher in Thailand any more.
  • Like 1

If all you have is a degree in political science, with no postgrad educational qualification, you won't be working as a teacher in Thailand any more.

What about a degree in English, or mass communication, or linguistics or translation?

I'm not overly annoyed about the new regs. Before anyone blames Thailand, the fact is that they are just doing the same thing as many other nations in Asia. In fact, pretty much every nation in Asia. Although I admit the request for a B.Ed goes further than any nation I can think of for teaching EFL.

Asia places more importance on degrees than the west does. It is a fact that in Europe you CAN legally teach English as a second language to kids or adults with a Trinity Cert TESOL/DELTA/CELTA (not a beach or online TEFL cert).

Do I think someone is able to teach English as a second language with those quals? Yes, I do. Not in all cases, but if anyone watched 'Tough Young Teachers' on the BBC, you'll see that many of those with 1st class Hons and A levels coming out of their arse couldn't teach. Teaching IS a skill. Not everyone can do it just because they have the paperwork to start the job. Those that can't do it, usually quit (50% of UK teachers quit within 5 years). Having a bunch of kids ignoring you and going nuts everyday will soon get to someone that 'just hasn't go it.'

The quals I names above for teaching as a second language do give a thorough understanding of grammar (the 12 tenses etc). The theory is given in detail and then practical lessons are taken and observed in many cases. It is NOT a qualification that enables the teacher to teach normal cirricular lessons (like in an International School). Those worrying about the 'pedo' factor need to realise that almost every school has a Thai teacher in lesson with any foreigner.  Almost always a female teacher/assistant. I believe this is official policy.

In an ideal world, those with DELTA/CELTA/Cert TESOL 'should' get temporary licenses and be told to obtain a degree in English or Education within a set time frame. This is not an ideal world. And it's up to Thailand how they run their ship.

Edited by GoonDizzy

Asia places more importance on degrees than the west does. It is a fact that in Europe you CAN legally teach English as a second language to kids or adults with a Trinity Cert TESOL/DELTA/CELTA (not a beach or online TEFL cert).

Really?
In a government school?
Which country allows this? a link would be helpful.

Really?
In a government school?

Here's a recent one.

The British Council themselves do it sometimes. They want you educated to 'tertiary' level (A Level in the UK , I think it's APs in the USA...not sure) plus a Trinty Cert TESOL/DELTA/ or CELTA. It's a grey area as your employer is a registered charity sponsored fully by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, but the school you're at will usually be a private one. Like i said, it's extra curricular. But legal work it is.

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=63544

Edited by GoonDizzy

Really?
In a government school?

Here's a recent one.
The British Council themselves do it sometimes. They want you educated to 'tertiary' level (A Level in the UK , I think it's APs in the USA...not sure) plus a Trinty Cert TESOL/DELTA/ or CELTA. It's a grey area as your employer is a registered charity sponsored fully by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, but the school you're at will usually be a private one. Like i said, it's extra curricular. But legal work it is.

We are discussing language teachers working in government schools in the west (and Thailand).
You refer to an advert for a charity advertising employment in Burma and Hong Kong.

Can you see my problem here? Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Really?
In a government school?

Here's a recent one.

We are discussing language teachers working in government schools in the west (and Thailand).
You refer to an advert for a charity advertising employment in Burma and Hong Kong.

Can you see my problem here?

Yep. Your problem is that you didn't read my original post properly. Where did I mention government schools? I said you can legally teach kids and adults ESL in many nations with a Cert TESOL/DELTA/CELTA. Can you teach in gov schools? Probably not. Does Rambo eat noodles on Wednesdays?  My problem was in getting involved with your irrelevant comment.

Edited by GoonDizzy

I go back to my initial idea of requiring all teachers that do not have degrees in education or an education related field, whether they have other degrees or not, teach as volunteers for a certain amount of time in Thai government schools. Perhaps make the minimum qualification a certificate course.

The first month in the school they simply assist the Thai teacher.

The second month of the school they Teach a certain number of classes while being observed by the Thai teacher.

The third month they teach a full schedule with no assistance.

If they complete this internship they should be allowed to teach legally in Thailand.

I like this idea. Minimal investment & risk for Thailand, and flexible enough to attract the capable & skilled but degree-lacking candidates. It'll screen-out the short-stayers and those who are just looking for a quick buck.

But innovative ideas like this are new and progressive, and are therefore scary and immediately distrusted by the powers that be.
  • Like 1

Really?
In a government school?

Here's a recent one.

Tertiary level implies a university degree (not AP/A-levels), which are secondary school qualifications. 

Really?
In a government school?

Here's a recent one.

Tertiary level implies a university degree (not AP/A-levels), which are secondary school qualifications. 

Ha ha! No it isn't. It's level three education. Post secondary. Look it up. Google is your friend.

I think there is a difference in the definition of 'tertiary level' between American English and British English.

British English defines tertiary level as a Bachelor/undergraduate degree.

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

Would it kill you to get a degree?  It got a B A English from Ramkhamhaeng Uni (international program).  It works out at about 6k per month on average. 

They have an evening and weekend schedule for those who work weekdays in the daytime.  I believe the evening schedule consists of 2 weekday evenings (6pm til 9pm) and 1 or maybe sometimes both weekend days (9am til 4pm).

I also believe that if you show you have enrolled at university to get your degree, you will be able to get the teacher's license waiver.

Depends on the labour dept in your area. Some may be more ruthless than others. The school concerned needs to really tell them that they need you. Worth a try for those doing this.

Would it kill you to get a degree?  It got a B A English from Ramkhamhaeng Uni (international program).  It works out at about 6k per month on average. 

They have an evening and weekend schedule for those who work weekdays in the daytime.  I believe the evening schedule consists of 2 weekday evenings (6pm til 9pm) and 1 or maybe sometimes both weekend days (9am til 4pm).

I also believe that if you show you have enrolled at university to get your degree, you will be able to get the teacher's license waiver.

Good on yer for making the effort there WB!
Small problem is they now want a B.Ed., B.A. will no longer qualify. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I don't have a driving licence but I believe 

I can drive

Have kept out of this forum but it is getting silly

Teaching or facilitating learning or whatever it is called nowadays requires a fairly complex set of competences

No BEd./PGCE/TESOL/TEFL course I have ever encountered begins to equip a person to guide a bunch of children/teenagers/adults to become responsible for taking on board for themselves what they (or someone else) believe they are desirous of learning as regards English.

In Thailand no-one has taken seriously the absence of the alphabet; much teaching by Thai teachers requires the transliteration of Thai sounds into approximately English ones. It is a disaster. Though interestingly many Thais can read and write English; they just cannot speak it!

If The British Council were serious they would at least have programmes to help Thai teachers in the linguistic competences of the English language.

This is not supposed to sound 'discriminatory', but it is at least "interesting" that many Chinese people, Germans and Scandinavians, also the Dutch acquire English, almost perfectly. Thais, Japanese, French struggle while others cannot rid themselves of their native accents!!

Here is a summary of a standard TEFL course

As far as I can see it might as well be happening on the moon with no students Thai or otherwise present

Pre-Course Grammar Module

Unit 1: The Study of English

Module 1  Grammar: Reading

Module 2  Pronunciation, Stress and Intonation: 

Module 3  Lexis: .

Unit 2: The Teaching and Learning of ESOL

Module 1 - The Basic Principles of TESOL.

Module 2 - Listening and Reading: 

Module 3 - Speaking and Writing: 

Module 4 - Visual Aids: 

Module 5 - Error

Unit 3: Lesson Planning

Module 1 - Classroom Management and Assessment: 

Module 2 - Lesson Stages and Plans: .

Thematic Unit

Visual Aids?? Good grief

How about a few Learning Outcomes? 

You know !!: If you complete this 'module' you will demonstrate that you will be able to:!!!

Edited by laolover88

If that is indeed the case, expect a severe fall off in native English teachers in Thailand. Few are going to teach here for the low wages offered if they can teach elsewhere in Asia and get more.

I'm not overly annoyed about the new regs. Before anyone blames Thailand, the fact is that they are just doing the same thing as many other nations in Asia. In fact, pretty much every nation in Asia. Although I admit the request for a B.Ed goes further than any nation I can think of for teaching EFL.

Do I think someone is able to teach English as a second language with those quals? Yes, I do. Not in all cases, but if anyone watched 'Tough Young Teachers' on the BBC, you'll see that many of those with 1st class Hons and A levels coming out of their arse couldn't teach. Teaching IS a skill. Not everyone can do it just because they have the paperwork to start the job. Those that can't do it, usually quit (50% of UK teachers quit within 5 years). Having a bunch of kids ignoring you and going nuts everyday will soon get to someone that 'just hasn't go it.'

The quals I names above for teaching as a second language do give a thorough understanding of grammar (the 12 tenses etc). The theory is given in detail and then practical lessons are taken and observed in many cases. It is NOT a qualification that enables the teacher to teach normal cirricular lessons (like in an International School). Those worrying about the 'pedo' factor need to realise that almost every school has a Thai teacher in lesson with any foreigner.  Almost always a female teacher/assistant. I believe this is official policy.

In an ideal world, those with DELTA/CELTA/Cert TESOL 'should' get temporary licenses and be told to obtain a degree in English or Education within a set time frame. This is not an ideal world. And it's up to Thailand how they run their ship.

<those with 1st class Hons and A levels coming out of their arse couldn't teach.>

Not much has changed since I was in school then. I went to private, highly regarded schools and NONE of the teachers were any good, despite walking around wearing those stupid gowns and hats to prove they had a degree. Waste of my father's money. Any "education" I gained was DESPITE my teachers, not because of them.

I'm not sure where aom gets his information. This is from the horse's mouth.

"Those who want to have a profession in education shall have to go through the following process in
obtaining a professional license:

1. Those who want to work in the teaching profession must meet any one of the following:

(1) Those with a degree in education or other degrees decided by Gor Kor(the Teachers’
Committee) to fit in the employment and appointment of a teaching post before the
effective date of the Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2546, are able to
use such qualifications in applying for a professional license up until 11 June B.E. 2549;

(2) Those with a degree in education which includes teaching practices in an institution not
exceeding one year according to the curriculum for the degree in education or the
equivalent degree or other qualifications certified by KHURUSAPHA ;

(3) Those with the qualifications other than the ones in (1) and (2), if they want to enter the
profession must be certified on professional knowledge and experience by KHURUSAPHA
stating that they have knowledge and experience equivalent to that established by standards
through the transfer of knowledge, testing and training in accordance with the criteria
prescribed by KHURUSAPHA , before applying for the license for professional practice."

http://site.ksp.or.th/download.php?site=englishsite&SiteMenuID=26

Click on Entering The Profession

And as we all know, Krusapa allows 2 waivers each valid for up to 2 years to achieve (3).

and this from someone who just obtained a 3rd waiver

"Main point remaining as in the topic header.....there doesn't seem to be any care about the number of waivers and/or effort to improve ones's self. I did hear someone being told "you might consider getting a degree in Education" to which she(the applicant) said "I'm only here for a year".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744391-third-and-fourth-etc-tct-waiversyes/

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the requirement to have a degree (of any sort) to be a competent teacher, the bottom line is that the requirements to legally teach in Thailand (Krusapa waivers aside), is not just a Bachelor degree but a specific Bachelor degree ==> Bachelor of Education.

I was under the impression that there was a series of exams that foreign teachers could take in lieu of having a B Ed.  Has that changed?

Anyway, I'd like to add my overall thoughts on the topic.  I think it is circumspect for Thailand to require that foreigners hold a BA or BS before being permitted to teach in Thai schools. Being a native speaker doesn't come close to making someone qualified to teach a language.  If that were the case, every foreigner with a Thai partner would be able to speak Thai well and every Thai with a foreigner partner would be able to speak their partner's language well.

Prospective English teachers are entering a career in the field of education, and should have at least experienced more than the minimal legal requirement in their home countries.  Perhaps those already working here could be grandfathered in to legal status, but at the very they should be required to sit for some exams to prove their knowledge and do an evaluated demo lesson to display their ability.  Perhaps each province could have a team of reviewers that travel to each school to inveigle the exam and evaluate the lessons.

Regardless, these are the rules to teach legally in Thailand.  Therefore if you want to teach in Thailand you need to live within those requirements.  If for whatever reason you can't, go teach in another country or take steps to meet the minimal requirements in Thailand.

Its a pity about the whole B.Ed thing.  You would think it is reasonable for a person with a degree in the subject they plan to teach would to be able to teach that subject legally.

Anyway, when did the new rules come into effect?  2014?  Has it been confirmed? (I haven't noticed anything official).  It must be the strictest requirement in ASEAN, if not all of Asia.  Even in the west you don't need that.

I expect they will have to lighten up a bit on this.  Either that or raise the teaching salaries and conditions significantly to attract people with BEd's to the country,  otherwise there ain't gonna be no English teachers.

M.Ed's would be nice, at least, but i think a degree in English ought to do it too.

Anyway, when did the new rules come into effect?  2014?  Has it been confirmed? (I haven't noticed anything official).  It must be the strictest requirement in ASEAN, if not all of Asia.  Even in the west you don't need that.

As I previously pointed out, in the West you do, if you want to work in a government school.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the requirement to have a degree (of any sort) to be a competent teacher, the bottom line is that the requirements to legally teach in Thailand (Krusapa waivers aside), is not just a Bachelor degree but a specific Bachelor degree ==> Bachelor of Education.

I was under the impression that there was a series of exams that foreign teachers could take in lieu of having a B Ed.  Has that changed?

Anyway, I'd like to add my overall thoughts on the topic.  I think it is circumspect for Thailand to require that foreigners hold a BA or BS before being permitted to teach in Thai schools. Being a native speaker doesn't come close to making someone qualified to teach a language.  If that were the case, every foreigner with a Thai partner would be able to speak Thai well and every Thai with a foreigner partner would be able to speak their partner's language well.

Prospective English teachers are entering a career in the field of education, and should have at least experienced more than the minimal legal requirement in their home countries.  Perhaps those already working here could be grandfathered in to legal status, but at the very they should be required to sit for some exams to prove their knowledge and do an evaluated demo lesson to display their ability.  Perhaps each province could have a team of reviewers that travel to each school to inveigle the exam and evaluate the lessons.

Regardless, these are the rules to teach legally in Thailand.  Therefore if you want to teach in Thailand you need to live within those requirements.  If for whatever reason you can't, go teach in another country or take steps to meet the minimal requirements in Thailand.

According to anotheroneamerican it has but according to Krusapa (TCT) it hasn't.

"(3) Those with the qualifications other than the ones in (1) and (2), if they want to enter the
profession must be certified on professional knowledge and experience by KHURUSAPHA
stating that they have knowledge and experience equivalent to that established by standards
through the transfer of knowledge, testing and training in accordance with the criteria
prescribed by KHURUSAPHA , before applying for the license for professional practice."

from my post #174

The majority of the world that employs EFL teachers demand a degree as the minimum requirement for employment.

From and academic perspective, how can someone without a degree be a role model for future generations to further their education?  It isn't always about ability or intelligence it is about academic achievement.

Unrelated degrees are an academic qualification and train people in skills not just knowledge. The skills that one picks up allows them to be more independent acquiring knowledge.  A lot of the skills that I learned was about analyzing the quality of information. I doubt most uneducated people have that skill when it comes to acquiring information outside of their field or knowledge circle.

• Like 2