I don't have a degree but I believe I can teach...

The majority of the world that employs EFL teachers demand a degree as the minimum requirement for employment.

From and academic perspective, how can someone without a degree be a role model for future generations to further their education?  It isn't always about ability or intelligence it is about academic achievement.

Unrelated degrees are an academic qualification and train people in skills not just knowledge. The skills that one picks up allows them to be more independent acquiring knowledge.  A lot of the skills that I learned was about analyzing the quality of information. I doubt most uneducated people have that skill when it comes to acquiring information outside of their field or knowledge circle.

Are you saying that people without university degree are uneducated?

When I was at school, none of the teachers said anything about their degrees and we never thought about it. Therefore, just because the teacher has, or does not have, a degree, it is irrelevant as far as providing a role model. Had I known that the incompetent, useless teachers I had were the product of universities, it would have just made me even more convinced that I didn't need a degree.

To say that I can't assess the quality of information because I never went to uni is just insulting and arrogant. It is also a trait of many of the uni degree holders that I have met, but it does not, in fact, mean that they are in any way competent or have any common sense. Many of the Drs that I worked with lacked even a modicum of common sense, though they were undoubtedly intelligent.

• Like 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of the world that employs EFL teachers demand a degree as the minimum requirement for employment.
From and academic perspective, how can someone without a degree be a role model for future generations to further their education?  It isn't always about ability or intelligence it is about academic achievement.

Unrelated degrees are an academic qualification and train people in skills not just knowledge. The skills that one picks up allows them to be more independent acquiring knowledge.  A lot of the skills that I learned was about analyzing the quality of information. I doubt most uneducated people have that skill when it comes to acquiring information outside of their field or knowledge circle.

When I was at school, none of the teachers said anything about their degrees and we never thought about it. Therefore, just because the teacher has, or does not have, a degree, it is irrelevant as far as providing a role model. Had I known that the incompetent, useless teachers I had were the product of universities, it would have just made me even more convinced that I didn't need a degree.

To say that I can't assess the quality of information because I never went to uni is just insulting and arrogant. It is also a trait of many of the uni degree holders that I have met, but it does not, in fact, mean that they are in any way competent or have any common sense. Many of the Drs that I worked with lacked even a modicum of common sense, though they were undoubtedly intelligent.

Common sense is not something that can be taught.

PS
The world has moved on from the stage where any ex-service man could become a teacher.
Which is how many teachers got their jobs after WW2, and taught in the 50s-60s-70s.

PPS
I spoke too soon, apparently the UK will be doing that again from next year.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jun/07/former-soldiers-qualify-teachers-government Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Quite frankly, after reading that post I wouldn't want you teaching my kids.  And in my opinion, no educational institute should consider hiring you as an instructor.

• Like 1

Common sense is not something that can be taught.

PS
The world has moved on from the stage where any ex-service man could become a teacher.
Which is how many teachers got their jobs after WW2, and taught in the 50s-60s-70s.

PPS
I spoke too soon, apparently the UK will be doing that again from next year.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jun/07/former-soldiers-qualify-teachers-government

Perhaps they think that it takes a tough guy to control the hooligans that infest public schools today.

Also, it's about time they did something to address the gender imbalance of teachers being produced by the PC insanity infecting all public service employees nowadays.

Perhaps they think that it takes a tough guy to control the hooligans that infest public schools today.

Also, it's about time they did something to address the gender imbalance of teachers being produced by the PC insanity infecting all public service employees nowadays.

I have to agree with the previous poster.
I wouldn't want you teaching my children.

Here in Australia you of course need a degree to teach in a school. However private english training centres take on teachers without a teaching degree. A friend of mine last year was given a job teaching Asian business people English. She has no qualifications, she simply had the personality type that they felt was suitable. She's been doing it for over a year now and doing great at it. And this is in a first world country!

I have to agree with the previous poster.
I wouldn't want you teaching my children.

That's OK then. I don't want to teach your sprogs either.giggle.gif

• Like 1

Quite frankly, after reading that post I wouldn't want you teaching my kids.  And in my opinion, no educational institute should consider hiring you as an instructor.

Why?  Because he does not bow to those with degrees?  Hey I have an MBA and about to start a PhD program.  I am far from anti education.

But lets remember...

Bill Gates, college drop out.

Steve Jobs, college drop out.

The degree rule has some benefits.  And it makes a limited amount of sense.  But for anyone to infer that those without degrees are incapable of being successful English teachers in Thailand is absurd.  

• Like 2

I am back in the UK about to sit a month long TESOL course. Like yourself I do not have a degree but I do have a diploma (in construction management. Irrelevant to teaching but just highlighting the fact I received further education) I also would like to return to Thailand to teach English. I have lived in Thailand on and off at times since 2007. I regard it as my home. I have taught voluntarily in Surin province and enjoyed it. Now I can also read, write and speak Thai which does help. I am more than capable of teaching Thai students basic conversational English giving them a platform to go on and progress at University. Surely there must be a demand for someone like me.

Surely there must be a demand for someone like me.

I'm sure there is.  But you can scan the teaching vacancies on Ajarn web-site today and see schools in Phuket offering 15,000 baht for a degree-qualified Filipino/a to teach English to primary kids.

Will you accept that job for 15,000 baht per month?  Perhaps 10,000 baht because you don't have a degree?

• Like 1

Just recently a friend of mine came to visit Thailand.  Young guy, only 21.  He had not planned to stay but eventually he decided to.  He has no degree.  He decided to try teaching English.

He went into interviews and said the following:

"I have never taught English before.  I have no degree.  I want something easy.  No lesson planning.  Just go in and teach with lesson plans you give me.  I want 40,000 per month."

it took him two days but he got a job.  He had to settle for 35,000.

Surely there must be a demand for someone like me.

I'm sure there is.  But you can scan the teaching vacancies on Ajarn web-site today and see schools in Phuket offering 15,000 baht for a degree-qualified Filipino/a to teach English to primary kids.

Will you accept that job for 15,000 baht per month?  Perhaps 10,000 baht because you don't have a degree?

I hear what you're saying Bruce, but I think those days are numbered for 'whiteys'.

Why employ one white face with no experience and no degree, when you can employ 2 qualified Filipino/a teachers for 30,000 baht total?

Marketing and sales.

Schools want white faces to sell to the students and the parents.

Thats not changing.

I hear what you're saying Bruce, but I think those days are numbered for 'whiteys'.

Why employ one white face with no experience and no degree, when you can employ 2 qualified Filipino/a teachers for 30,000 baht total?

• Like 1

Because probably that one 'whitey' can speak English better than both qualified Filipino teachers. Generally the language skills of the Filipinos in lower to middle tier schools is lacking and sometimes their knowledge : example. A carrot is a fruit. As told to my M5 students.
so for conversation classes native or near native speakers are better (some Filipinos are near native speakers. The one that said a carrot is a fruit for example)

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't have a problem with degrees or no degrees.   I have a problem of teachers being expected to perform like a person with a degree when they don't have one.   A native speaker can be used effectively and efficiently in the classroom to help the students to learn to listen and speak the language.   If they are not otherwise qualified, they probably shouldn't be helping with curriculum development, test design and other matters.  

• Like 2

And those skills would only be available to a person who specifically studied Education.

I don't have a problem with degrees or no degrees.   I have a problem of teachers being expected to perform like a person with a degree when they don't have one.   A native speaker can be used effectively and efficiently in the classroom to help the students to learn to listen and speak the language.   If they are not otherwise qualified, they probably shouldn't be helping with curriculum development, test design and other matters.  

And I would say that MOST are not!

Why?  Because he does not bow to those with degrees?  Hey I have an MBA and about to start a PhD program.  I am far from anti education.

But lets remember...

Bill Gates, college drop out.

Steve Jobs, college drop out.

The degree rule has some benefits.  And it makes a limited amount of sense.  But for anyone to infer that those without degrees are incapable of being successful English teachers in Thailand is absurd.  

I also am far from anti education, just don't believe that a degree proves that you are intelligent, clever or have any ability in the real world. I've met too many losers with degrees to have any illusions about a uni education.

In fact, I have spent most of my working life gaining further education that is applicable to a real job, but to some not having a piece of paper means that one is an uneducated serf.

BTW, I am a qualified first aid instructor, so is UCS saying that I shouldn't have been allowed to qualify?

What's the infatuation with me not teaching children anyway. I am not teaching in Thailand and have no desire to do so.

Because probably that one 'whitey' can speak English better than both qualified Filipino teachers. Generally the language skills of the Filipinos in lower to middle tier schools is lacking and sometimes their knowledge : example. A carrot is a fruit. As told to my M5 students.
so for conversation classes native or near native speakers are better (some Filipinos are near native speakers. The one that said a carrot is a fruit for example)

A carrot is a fruit. Well it was. Or was it just anti EU propaganda from the sun or something? Anyways, its a fun story, so ill tell you it. 

Heres why: Back around the early naughties the EU decided to make an edict on just what percentage of fruit qualified a 'jam' as a jam. The only problem was that Portugal raised the rather curious point that one of their central jam industries was the manufacturing of carrot jam. Given that the carrot is a vegetable, this would make it impossible for them to adhere to the new regulations. A meeting was convened and the humble carrot was given the legal status of a fruit to allow the law to pass with as little amendments as possible. 

The more you know! (or remember salaciously). 

Oh Emmm Geee!!! 

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32001L0113&from=en

ANNEX III

A. DEFINITIONS

For the purposes of this Directive, the following definitions shall apply:

1. Fruit:    ... for the purposes of this Directive, tomatoes, the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons and water-melons are considered to be fruit,
Edited by inutil

A carrot is a fruit. Well it was. Or was it just anti EU propaganda from the sun or something? Anyways, its a fun story, so ill tell you it. 

Heres why: Back around the early naughties the EU decided to make an edict on just what percentage of fruit qualified a 'jam' as a jam. The only problem was that Portugal raised the rather curious point that one of their central jam industries was the manufacturing of carrot jam. Given that the carrot is a vegetable, this would make it impossible for them to adhere to the new regulations. A meeting was convened and the humble carrot was given the legal status of a fruit to allow the law to pass with as little amendments as possible. 

The more you know! (or remember salaciously). 

Oh Emmm Geee!!! 

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32001L0113&from=en

ANNEX III

A. DEFINITIONS

For the purposes of this Directive, the following definitions shall apply:
1. Fruit:    ... for the purposes of this Directive, tomatoes, the edible parts of rhubarb stalks, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, melons and water-melons are considered to be fruit,

Doesn't change the fact that a carrot is a root vegetable NOT a fruit.
" for the purposes of this Directive" doesn't actually change that fundamental fact.

Cheer up scamp, i think the tone already set the stage. :)

Also, shouldnt you be more alarmed that for the purpose of this edict watermelon and melons are also 'considered' to be fruits. I thought they already were! shock1.gif

While the Filipinos I know are excellent English speakers, they have a defect in their education regarding "fruit" saying "fruits" for the plural. There's another example as well that I can't remember off hand.

I hate the argument of someone being "unqualified" just because they dont have a university degree. This is absolutely ridiculous. Just because you studied political science, art history, marketing, or whatever DOES NOT mean you are a better/more qualified English teacher than someone who does not have a degree.... How can anyone even begin to argue this point?  

I also hate that schools will hire Germans, French, Greeks, Arabs or whoever over a native speaker JUST because they have a degree.... Absolutely ridiculous. 

But hey, its the rules, Thailand says to be qualified to teach the ABCs to 5 year olds, you have to have a degree. Otherwise they will hire a German or a Thai over you.

You have to have a degree in Education.
If all you have is a degree in political science, with no postgrad educational qualification, you won't be working as a teacher in Thailand any more.

This completely untrue.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

While the Filipinos I know are excellent English speakers, they have a defect in their education regarding "fruit" saying "fruits" for the plural

Fruit is both a countable and uncountable noun - it depends on the context.

While the Filipinos I know are excellent English speakers, they have a defect in their education regarding "fruit" saying "fruits" for the plural

Fruit is both a countable and uncountable noun - it depends on the context.

?????? I know no native English speaker that refers to the plural of fruit as fruits.

In certain contexts, either fruits or fruit is correct.  More often than not it is "fruit" in American English.

Fine. However, I've never used "fruits" in my life and I'm not an American.

You've never said the phrase, "It's important to eat fruits and vegetables" in your entire life? 

Nope .. I'm British. I would say it's important to eat fruit and vegetables.

But never mind. It can be said as in your post. But generally fruit is used. And I doubt many people describe fruit as fruits!

• Like 1