Thai whistle-blower expects inspections of rice warehouses 'to yield evidence'

webfact

Whistle-blower expects inspections of rice warehouses 'to yield evidence'
PIMNARA PRADUBWIT
KRISSANA TIWATSIRIKUL
SURACHAI PIRAKSA
THE NATION

30237704-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- ONGOING rice warehouse inspections by the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) are expected to deliver crucial evidence related to alleged rampant corruption in the failed rice-pledging scheme, said former Democrat MP Warong Dechgitvigrom.

Warong, who blew the whistle on the scheme a few years ago, said on his Facebook page that he expected positive developments from the inspection process that officially started yesterday.

"The National Anti-Corruption Commission [NAAC] is handling two big cases about the scheme," he said.

According to Warong, one case is against ousted prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra while the other is against several former Cabinet members and many big-name rice traders.

The Yingluck-led government initiated the rice-pledging scheme, which was mired in massive corruption allegations and incurred huge financial losses before the NCPO scrapped it.

The NACC has already recommended that Yingluck be impeached. The government led by her Pheu Thai Party lost power following a coup in May.

PM’s Office permanent secretary Panadda Diskul is overseeing the inspection of warehouses that participated in the rice-pledging scheme.

The inspections will look into both the quantity and the quality of rice.

It will take about 100 committees, each spearheaded by senior officials, to inspect about 1,800 warehouses and 137 silos.

Officials from the Public Warehouse Organisation (PWO), administrative officials, surveyors and soldiers are helping with the inspections.

Yesterday, the inspections officially began. PM's Office inspector-general Orawan Khumsap led an inspection at a warehouse in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

"We have collected some rice samples for a quality check," Orawan said, "And we will cross-check the quantity of rice we have found here with the information at the Cooperative Auditing Department."

PWO officials, soldiers and related officials checked a warehouse in Buri Ram as some 3,000 tonnes of rice there must be exported.

During the check, officials found that some rice had deteriorated in quality because it had been kept there too long.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Whistle-blower-expects-inspections-of-rice-warehou-30237704.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-04

• Like 1

The Yingluck-led government initiated the rice-pledging scheme, which was mired in massive corruption allegations and incurred huge financial losses before the NCPO scrapped it.

True, but she was only following the advice of her caddie.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

True, but she was only following the advice of her caddie.

We all know who the caddie is, but what's the handy- cap.

I think we all know what to expect since most posters have been raising the issues of theft and deterioration of the rice since the very beginning of the rice scam scheme which was so transparent as to its real corrupt intention that a child could see it.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Unfortunately most "children" didn't see it coming and would probably vote for the party that offered something similar again . . . long term thinking, cause and effect, critical analysis etc are not their strong suits.

Yup.... and if they do vote a Shit Shin government back to power, then I will give it 2 to 3 years again and all hell will break loose once again and next time I would think there is a very real chance of a civil war, because something has to give, this cycle will not be put up with much longer.

Edited by lostsoul49

I think we all know what to expect since most posters have been raising the issues of theft and deterioration of the rice since the very beginning of the rice scam scheme which was so transparent as to its real corrupt intention that a child could see it.

The question remains will the NACC gather enough evidence from these inspections to incriminate and prosecute those officials in charge of this scheme. They should have been charged already for lying to the public that NO rice was missing

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Warong, who blew the whistle on the scheme a few years ago, said on his Facebook page that he expected positive developments from the inspection process that officially started yesterday.

Warong and his Facebook. It seems like only yesterday that he blew his whistle on Nok Air. Hope he gets more likes for this one.

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 1

Unfortunately most "children" didn't see it coming and would probably vote for the party that offered something similar again . . . long term thinking, cause and effect, critical analysis etc are not their strong suits.

Yup.... and if they do vote a Shit Shin government back to power, then I will give it 2 to 3 years again and all hell will break loose once again and next time I would think there is a very real chance of a civil war, because something has to give, this cycle will not be put up with much longer.

I really do hope you're wrong, and from the popular support that Gen. Prayuth has gained since stepping in, it would seem that the people now have a new hero, so the chances of them ever switching back to the Shin clan would seem to be very remote.

• Like 1

I really do hope you're wrong, and from the popular support that Gen. Prayuth has gained since stepping in, it would seem that the people now have a new hero, so the chances of them ever switching back to the Shin clan would seem to be very remote.

Thais get bored very quickly about everything, so a new hero will be around soon.

Their hero is he who fills there hand for the time being. Thais have small hands, but they're growing fast.

• Like 1

To get back in power, Thaksin has to offer another rice scheme. Maybe next time it'll be free chemical fertilizers and chemical sprays so as to keep the farmers poor and the cronies rich. I hope that the farmers will think more wisely before taking the 500 Baht on the Night of the Howling Dogs.

Wouldn't it be better for samples to be taken from the centre of the pile, rather than as shown in the photo from the outside where the air circulates, if they want to detect any problems with quality ?

• Like 2

I wasn't meaning to insult the intelligence of children!

Wouldn't it be better for samples to be taken from the centre of the pile, rather than as shown in the photo from the outside where the air circulates, if they want to detect any problems with quality ?

Could it be that they haven't added a picture to the article of each and every sample they have taken

• Like 2

Lot's of interesting points on this thread.

I suggest there's a salient question - 'Has the paymaster now given up / withdrawn totally from politics and interference'?

I wish it was true but unfortunately I suspect the answer is no.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

I suggest there's a salient question - 'Has the paymaster now given up / withdrawn totally from politics and interference'?

Don't you ever read the newspapers ?

april4-2006b.jpg

Ok, where's my damn coat.

Edited by JesseFrank

Stop, you're talking too much sense.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't you ever read the newspapers ?

april4-2006b.jpg

Ok, where's my damn coat.

You really believe it?

Busy man Dr. Wrong. Hot on the heels of a Nok Air rant and now boldly announcing that major coruption evidence will be revealed. What if the rice descranpancies are due to accounting over sight and no politicians implicated. Will see and if no evidence revealed, hope someone will sue the loudmouth.

Busy man Dr. Wrong. Hot on the heels of a Nok Air rant and now boldly announcing that major coruption evidence will be revealed. What if the rice descranpancies are due to accounting over sight and no politicians implicated. Will see and if no evidence revealed, hope someone will sue the loudmouth.

Yes indeed just wait till a Thaksin proxy party gets back in power he will suffer for revealing the corruption within the scheme.

He will learn the hard way that truth has no place in the Shin version of politics.

Oh by the way, he has been revealing corruption within the rice pledging scheme now over the last 2 no confidence debates with documented evidence and no one has as yet tried to sue him.

Edited by Robby nz
  • Like 1

Bearing in mind the NCPO are trying to foster a Nation of happy reconciled people and supposedly have banned politicians from "politicking", there's an awful lot of "politicking" happening on warongs facebook page. coffee1.gif

Why do they worry about impeaching someone who is no longer in office?

Folks totally unclear on what impeach means and when and why it is used.

The attorney generals office can bring charges against politicians not in office,

for actions they did while in office. Impeachment is a parliamentary mechanism

For charging politicians while still in office.

Impeachment is the same as charging a suspect,

but voted in parliament rather than a grand jury or a prosecutor..

So very simple, find evidence of malfeasance in office and charge them.

Of course conviction is now in the courts and not by the Senate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Bearing in mind the NCPO are trying to foster a Nation of happy reconciled people and supposedly have banned politicians from "politicking", there's an awful lot of "politicking" happening on warongs facebook page. coffee1.gif

Yes - be so much nicer if all this was simply swept under the carpet. Perhaps and amnesty for all and maybe even zero the clock and start again............. now where did that idea come from again?

• Like 1

So much rice was sold out of these warehouses "out the back door" , but the millers and warehouse owners have had a long time to re-stock what they stole as everyone and his dog knew this inspection was on the cards. However most of the replaced rice has come from Cambodia . I have a contact in Surin who has been running 4 trucks 24 hours a day , bringing in rice to refill the warehouses although all stopped just as the Junta padlocked all the warehouses and put a watch on them. But this is Thailand and corruption is everywhere. Follow the money trail which is where the Damning evidence willcome from. smile.png