Bangkok drops out of world's top 10 best cities for travel

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Respondents were screened to remove travel-industry professionals from the vote, according to the magazine’s website."

Guess the staff at TAT couldn't vote multiple times this year.

So this is based on what? What has changed in Bangkok?

What's changed?

#1:

Massage places are going striaght for the jugular with the "hand job" close within 10 minutes of starting - if not interested you get a crappy massage - and then, they still pester you for a tip.

Many many massage places are now switching to the full sex offer with a menu as soon as you walk in.

The lookers are for the most part scrambing from BKK, heading to places that offer better rewards and no visa reqd. like Singapore, Malaysis and Yippoon.

Service has taken a dive and quality of food etc. is highly questionable, expect expired label foods as the norm unless you opt for the 4 or 5 star places

The Land of Smiles is anything but - serious and bewildered and disgusted looks on most employees faces. Very noticeable starting immediately at the airport itself.

Even Immigration officers who previously loved to shoot the sh*t with yours truly and keep others waiting - love a fella who speaks thai - are now not in a friendly mood

anymore.

Western media just goes to far. They are no longer journalist, but just want to do sensationalism. Only certain parts of the city of Bangkok are affected, but western journalist make it sound like the entire country is in turmoil. Leave the Thai nation to itself, it will figure out what is good for them. Democracy is certainly not looking good in the US. Thailand will do what is needed and will survive. USA is just over 200 year's, Thailand is thousands of years. Leave them alone.

Correct, all media is business and that business is to make money. Please note, however, this includes Thai media. Be careful with your wish to isolate Thailand. Absolutely the country will survive but will the people's lives be enhanced for better lives or will it remain a 3rd world nation. All nation's have problems. You are correct that my country has many problems, I fear for its future. It too will survive but what will the U.S. look like in the future?

My advice is to guard against ethnocentric thinking to the point where you harm Thailand. Problems have been pointed out in Thailand and Thailand is responding to the issues. People getting upset by western journalists reports are wasting time not facing up that there is a problem. Now, why have I spent my time responding to you? Because I chose to retire in Thailand, I admire traditional Thai culture, because your photo shows you as a youth and because I spent my working life as a Professor teaching youth like you in America. Oh, one last item to address, Thailand as a country, thousands of years? Check your Thailand history.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 2

What's changed?

#1:

Massage places are going striaght for the jugular with the "hand job" close within 10 minutes of starting - if not interested you get a crappy massage - and then, they still pester you for a tip.

Many many massage places are now switching to the full sex offer with a menu as soon as you walk in.

The lookers are for the most part scrambing from BKK, heading to places that offer better rewards and no visa reqd. like Singapore, Malaysis and Yippoon.

Service has taken a dive and quality of food etc. is highly questionable, expect expired label foods as the norm unless you opt for the 4 or 5 star places

The Land of Smiles is anything but - serious and bewildered and disgusted looks on most employees faces. Very noticeable starting immediately at the airport itself.

Even Immigration officers who previously loved to shoot the sh*t with yours truly and keep others waiting - love a fella who speaks thai - are now not in a friendly mood

anymore.

Even with all the negatives outlined above LOS still flogs the UK and USA both also called LOS but the "S" stands for "scowls" by a margin of 25 to 1, now down from 100 to 1 just a couple years ago.

Charleston, South Carolina is 2nd on the list..

I'd rather go to Bangkok but then I live in Bangkok & never been to Charleston.

dont knock it till you been there. it is a beautyful city.

I don't think Iphad was knocking Charleston, but wasn't Charleston, South Carolina where the American Civil War was started?

Well as I am just back from Japan and visited Kyoto: I understand the quotation !

Bangkok is a dirty place, high crime rate and has just a very limited exciting things to offer for tourists: ok yes the best place for sex tourists.

• Like 1

Western media just goes to far. They are no longer journalist, but just want to do sensationalism. Only certain parts of the city of Bangkok are affected, but western journalist make it sound like the entire country is in turmoil. Leave the Thai nation to itself, it will figure out what is good for them. Democracy is certainly not looking good in the US. Thailand will do what is needed and will survive. USA is just over 200 year's, Thailand is thousands of years. Leave them alone.

Although I would agree with the bit about USA and democracy . I do not agree with leaving Thailand alone just because they got more years on the clock . It has been shooting itself in the foot for way to long and making its own people as well as visitors suffer from the greed and corruption at the expense of its former Buddhist values. the place has become short sighted in its greed . I am watching closely at whether the Army is really sorting the sh*t out or will it\ just end up being a shift from one corrupt group to another. I hope the former however my gut feeling is if it is they've left it too late and the damage has been done..

How they could ever rate BKK as the top destination on the Planet is beyond comprehension. Compared to many others it is a dump !

When I started reading the replies to this article, I was asking myself : who's going to say it first ? You did, and you're right ! How could Bangkok ever be rated in the first 10 cities based on the criteria stated by the article (quote : 'The US magazine Travel & Leisure said the world’s best cities were rated by its readers on sights and landmarks; culture and arts; restaurants and food; people; and value')

Sights and landmarks in BKK ? The Baiyoke and other skyscrapers are OK, sure, but there are plenty of cities around with more interesting ones (KL, Shanghai, Hong Kong etc). Jim Thompson's House is very interesting, OK, sure. So are Jim Thompson's House and Jim Thompson's House. There are several beautiful temples ... in Chiangmai. Perhaps it's about the klongs, with all the beautiful garbage floating in them and the fragrance of their pure waters ?

Culture and arts ? That's a joke, for sure. When was the last time you attended a classical concert, ballet or theater performance, art exhibition in BKK ? There is a Bangkok Symphony Orchestra, by the way, yes there is, and they are a bunch of good professional musicians, but last time I went to a hear them they played Hollywood standards probably because the haughty organisers thought that the public here are not capable of appreciating Beethoven, Mozart or Tchaikovsky.

Restaurants and food ? Ah.... finally, one point I can agree on. YES there are lots and lots of great restaurants in BKK (and I'm not talking about that famous one with a stunning view, because the food there is outrageously mediocre for the price).

People ? Huh ?

Value ? Of what ? Whom ? Does that mean Bangkok is cheap ?

I think this magazine should be renamed 'Travel & Leisure & BS'.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Leaving Thailand alone...is exactly what the world intends to do...perception is reality...the perception is that Thailand is not your best vacation destination at the moment...

This is a travel and leisure magazine poll--so all the touristy stuff pertains. However, what has changed? The image of Bangkok. Its now seen as the capital of a country in strife, unstable government, riots in the streets, terrorism down south, and now a military coup. Please, the people who do this magazine are tourists--real tourists; white picket-fence suburban risk averse vacationers,