Ethical elephant experience Chiang Mai

HI,

Family members are coming end of the month. We'll go to Chiang Mai for three days, and want a decent elephant experience: not an exploitative, picture-painting, football-playing show. The real sanctuaries I've contacted (Baan Chang, Elephant Nature Park, Jumbo Camp) are inflexible in that they require you to spend a full day with them.

Is there any middle ground: a place to see elephants (no riding necessary), interact somehow if possible, for less than a full day, near Chiang Mai?

Thanks!

You can just drive up to the elephant camps on the Samong road through the mountains. The camp workers are usually quite happy to let you have a wonder around and take a few pictures. If you try to book anywhere online or in the city, they will want you to book a full day and its a bit of a closed shop.

He's probably talking about the Mae Sa Elephant Camp on the road from Mae Rim to Pong Yaeng. The Mae Sa Elephant Camp may be one of the better ones, and certainly the most touristy, but it's the same as any of the other exploitative camps where they force the elephants to paint, etc.

Sorry I can't help you with your request though. I always send friends and family to the Elephant Nature Park.

I really have no idea with regard to your questions about how they treat the animals, however, you wouldn't be supporting it (not financially anyhow) as you wouldn't have to pay to have a look around (at least I never have and have taken a few friends). You would most likely come up the Hang Dong road (road that runs parallel to the airport) then about 5 kms from Hang Dong do a right and head towards samoeng (sorry about spelling before). Samoeng is signposted from the Hang Dong road also. You then go about 15-20 kms into the mountains and you will see 2-3 elephant camps on your right hand side. As I can't post links here, if you google " elephant camps samoeng" you will find some useful links (3rd link down is quite handy).

Thanks to both of you.

Jeremy, thanks for the detailed directions.

Sr. El Jefe, I've been to Maesa Camp, and know what's of offer. Not forced logging, but still..

it seems from what you say that it's either a full, dedicated day or exploitation central. Too bad.

Google Lek's elephant nature park. Here rescued elephants live in natural surrounds, no rides, no soccer but you can feed the elephants and help them wash in the river. A wonderful place that is worth supporting.

• Like 2