Kaffir limes ... is it racist to call them that?

Jingthing

I had never considered this but I didn't grow up in a culture where Kaffir was a slur word either.

Obviously an ESSENTIAL ingredient in Thai cooking.

This article suggests the world should adopt the THAI name for this lime:

Besides, there’s a non-offensive, sensible alternative: In Thailand, home of the cuisine that makes the best use of the limes and their leaves, they’re known asmakrut limes. Why not call them that?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/07/03/kaffir_lime_racist_murky_origins_suggest_a_racial_slur_might_be_responsible.html

I still think of them as Kaffir limes and doubt their suggestion will catch on (outside of Thai speakers of course).

On the other hand, as the article mentioned the old way Brazil nuts were referred to (horribly racist) has definitely been almost totally dropped from common usage.

Edited by Jingthing

Now just what will we do about people who call truffles black or white?.

Nothing. Those are just color descriptions which objectively refer to the color of truffles. I don't see the equivalence at all.

Like I said Kaffir has never been a slur word for me (basically out of unawareness), but it's obviously true that it's a slur word in at least one country -- South Africa.

In South Africa today, the term is regarded as highly racially offensive, in the same way as "nigger" in the United States and other English-speaking countries. It is seldom used as an isolated insult, but rather is used systematically by openly racist individuals when talking about black people, and as such was very common in the apartheid era. Use of the word has been actionable in South African courts since at least 1976 under the offense of crimen injuria: "the unlawful, intentional and serious violation of the dignity of another".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_(racial_term)

It seems some people are getting agitated about this! (Not me, but I find it of interest.)

https://twitter.com/KaffirNoMore

Edited by Jingthing

Does that mean "farang" will no longer be used?

I think that has already been covered to death on hundreds of threads.

Back to the Kaffir thingie, probably the best rationale on why saying Kaffir lime is really OK is that there is generally no INTENT of offense in using that word when naming this LIME.

Edited by Jingthing

Back to the Kaffir thingie, probably the best rationale on why saying Kaffir lime is really OK is that there is generally no INTENT of offense in using that word when naming this LIME.

So the logical extension of this reasoning is that Fairy is inoffensive if used in the context of naming a cake.

So the logical extension of this reasoning is that Fairy is inoffensive if used in the context of naming a cake.

Not really. Fairy has multiple meanings and in reference to a cake it's clearly not referring to the gay slur word of Fairy.

post-37101-0-62335100-1404486059_thumb.j

Kaffir on the other hand appears to refer to an ethnic group or groups associated with this lime type.

I can see both sides of the Kaffir lime argument. The rationale I suggested was also used to justify the slur word used for Brazil nuts, but things change, and now that is TOTALLY unacceptable.

BTW, Jews ear does not bother me. Especially when I looked into the history of the origin. It makes sense and it does look like a human ear.

Edited by Jingthing

Best take it up on the gay forum, is the kaffir a top or bottom.

Un effin believable.

Thankfully this is Thailand with no such PC language.

But there is really no issue with this for Thais in Thailand. They have a Thai word for the lime which has nothing to do with Kaffir. I well understand people feeling "PC" has gone too far but there is a balance in that. Nobody in their right mind would argue TODAY that the archaic racist slang for Brazil nuts is acceptable, "PC" or not. So those who care about this Kaffir issue have a historical precedent in that to support the case that they're on the right track. From their POV, WHY NOT have the world call the lime it's THAI name?

To be clear, no I don't think this is a big deal in the world, the naming of Kaffir limes. I did think it was something interesting enough to post about on the Thai food forum on this Thai oriented website, because Kaffir Limes are such an important element of Thai cooking.

Edited by Jingthing

Jesus effin H, only you pinko commies could make this shit up.

What is racist or unacceptable about calling nuts from Brazil, Brazillian nuts.

Should it now be unaccpetable to call my wife Thai because she comes from Thailand?

What about "Turkish Delight" is that now no longer acceptable?

Never heard a Turk complain about the teminology, heard plenty of pinkos from Kalifonia complain, does nobody work in that state?

No wonder my American friends ridicule the place.

Should it now be unaccpetable to call my wife Thai because she comes from Thailand?

Never heard a Turk complain about the teminology, heard plenty of pinkos from Kalifonia complain, does nobody work in that state?

Sorry, you didn't understand.

The racist slang for Brazil nuts I was referring to is actually N-word toes.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY is objecting to the term Brazil nuts.

Got it now?

BTW, I am not a commie. whistling.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Got it now?

Jeez, spit it out man.

What TF are N-word toes?

I have never heard this terminology used in Thai cooking or at the local market, please give me 5 minutes to allow me to consult with the mrs.

I take it if you are so offended by this terminolgy you will feel free to spell it out for me in Thai.

Someone needs a pickle.

Next ...

Reckon you are pickled already.

Next time, try posting non pickled, too much to drink today on the 4th was it?

Correct, going downstairs right now to eat a chilli dog with gherkin pickels, is that PC or not?

• Like 1

Some people have very, very thin skin these days. I say who gives a rats ass about political correctness? As long as there is no hostility intended, misunderstand me at your own risk. I just do not care. It blows to have to watch everything you say these days. Glad I am not famous. Very few people care what I say, anyway.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would like to hear from a South African person who would fit into the "K" word demographic to hear what they think of the naming of these limes. Living in Thailand, I guess it might be worth using the Thai word anyway ... but outside of Thailand, I reckon Kaffir Lime isn't going anywhere soon.

Edited by Jingthing

... but outside of Thailand, I reckon Kaffir Lime isn't going anywhere soon.

Then why bring this up as a point of contention.?

None of us have a problem with you.

You don't have a problem with the name.

If you have a problem with name Kaffir Lime, Dude say so now!

-----------------------------------------

EDITED to add ...

Another example of this kind of naming "controversy" is Jew's ear fungus.

I am making a genuine attempt to understand this comment.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks

Edited by David48

Got it now?

Jeez, spit it out man.

What TF are N-word toes?

I have never heard this terminology used in Thai cooking or at the local market, please give me 5 minutes to allow me to consult with the mrs.

I take it if you are so offended by this terminolgy you will feel free to spell it out for me in Thai.

He meant nigger toes, I still call them that as do most I know, I also spell Brasil with and S and not a z (zaid) which tends to confuse people so I stick with what I know. How much is the fine for by the thought police for using the word kafir anyway ?

I'm wondering what we'd call the fancy bar nuts that are fried with yummy herbs and spices if they included kafir and Brasil nuts?

• Like 1

He meant n-word toes, I still call them that as do most I know ...

Quoted post truncated.

Racist slur edited.

I assume that's sarcasm. That slang is ARCHAIC. Really, people don't say that anymore (outside of nursing homes).

The future of calling Kaffir Limes that name? I don't have a clue ... but language and usage does change.

Edited by Jingthing

Kaffir limes ... is it racist to call them that?

Not unless you add to that as in "kaffir Limey b@stard".

Yes or even used like 'are you looking for diplomatic immunity you kaffir limey lover'

• 1 month later...