Photos: Thaivisa Lounge Grand Opening Party July 4, 2014

Larry Banks

any press is good press, I'm sure George is having laugh as well.... if he wasn't then he wouldn't be running TV.. or a bar for that matter!

He isn't running a bar, well certainly not the first one in Soi 7. That bar is still New Wave, with a TV connection.

I turned up with a couple of mates. Admittedly I was quite pissed by the time I got there at around 10pm, but there was Raro to welcome everyone and I got my free drink. The bar certainly had a nice 'feel' about it and I'll give it another try when I'm slightly more this side of reason. My only complaint was that they'd run out of draught Heineken and to had to drink Asahi which I don't much like, but that kind of thing happens in a new place. Great location, almost on the steps of Nana BTS. I didn't see a bitter on tap which would have been nice (Olde Speckled Hen or London Pride would be nice).

Will there be 'happy hours' and if so when and how much?

All in all a worthy addition to the Sukhumvit bar scene!

• Like 1

I was there - because I wanted to be. Had a bloody good evening meet some interesting folk including a couple of the Moderators who, as we discussed, have a very difficult task at the moment given the current situation (nudge nudge wink wink say no more). But I was wondering if it might be worth passing on some of the important suggestions made in this string to the authorities that be - so they can fix them. I mean - do the people that count know that the pavement in Soi 7 is not wide enough for a wheelchair and that in the old days there used to be a couple of midgets dressed as Mexicans that aren't there any more. Or that Heineken costs Thb120 in some establishments in Nana and that it runs out early and they force folk to drink non-local beer (there's a element there for a bit of economic re-tuning). Or that lady promoters of beer are forced to toast each other with un-opened bottles - someone needs to check on the labour law governing worker participation. More importantly that people are gathering in New Wave venues without name tags and - remaining incognito and all dressing the same. By the way when the place gets a bit crowded you can actually get poked in the backside by over zealous pool players with their sticks.

But the saddest bit in all these posts was that some people who weren't there because they didn't want to be - were a bit negative about the venture and that some who were there got a bit shirty with those that posted about mundane subjects like ensuring enterprise sustainability in new ventures. My favourite comment was the one that went - what no basement for the trolls. I'll be back if some of the guys who were there last night are going to be there again - pissed or not - or only there if someone else is buying. It was a real giggle meeting some of you and realising that some aren't such grumpy old men in real life and some are lucky buggers cause they have real gorgeous wives and girlfriends who were a real delight to meet socially in a bar in Nana. Lets do it again sometime.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was there - because I wanted to be. Had a bloody good evening meet some interesting folk including a couple of the Moderators who, as we discussed, have a very difficult task at the moment given the current situation (nudge nudge wink wink say no more). But I was wondering if it might be worth passing on some of the important suggestions made in this string to the authorities that be - so they can fix them. I mean - do the people that count know that the pavement in Soi 7 is not wide enough for a wheelchair and that in the old days there used to be a couple of midgets dressed as Mexicans that aren't there any more. Or that Heineken costs Thb120 in some establishments in Nana and that it runs out early and they force folk to drink non-local beer (there's a element there for a bit of economic re-tuning). Or that lady promoters of beer are forced to toast each other with un-opened bottles - someone needs to check on the labour law governing worker participation. More importantly that people are gathering in New Wave venues without name tags and - remaining incognito and all dressing the same. By the way when the place gets a bit crowded you can actually get poked in the backside by over zealous pool players with their sticks.

But the saddest bit in all these posts was that some people who weren't there because they didn't want to be - were a bit negative about the venture and that some who were there got a bit shirty with those that posted about mundane subjects like ensuring enterprise sustainability in new ventures. My favourite comment was the one that went - what no basement for the trolls. I'll be back if some of the guys who were there last night are going to be there again - pissed or not - or only there if someone else is buying. It was a real giggle meeting some of you and realising that some aren't such grumpy old men in real life and some are lucky buggers cause they have real gorgeous wives and girlfriends who were a real delight to meet socially in a bar in Nana. Lets do it again sometime.

OMG..."couple of midgets dressed as Mexicans"...you must be pushing 70 at least...what a lasting impression those sombreros made as they opened the door to beckon folks inside...the food was quite good as I remember...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OMG..."couple of midgets dressed as Mexicans"...you must be pushing 70 at least...what a lasting impression those sombreros made as they opened the door to beckon folks inside...the food was quite good as I remember...

At least someone remembers the Nippa Hut.

I turned up with a couple of mates. Admittedly I was quite pissed by the time I got there at around 10pm, but there was Raro to welcome everyone and I got my free drink. The bar certainly had a nice 'feel' about it and I'll give it another try when I'm slightly more this side of reason. My only complaint was that they'd run out of draught Heineken and to had to drink Asahi which I don't much like, but that kind of thing happens in a new place. Great location, almost on the steps of Nana BTS. I didn't see a bitter on tap which would have been nice (Olde Speckled Hen or London Pride would be nice).

Will there be 'happy hours' and if so when and how much?

All in all a worthy addition to the Sukhumvit bar scene!

Yes, New Wave has happy hours, check on the board outside the door.

It's not an addition to the Sukhumvit bar scene, New Wave has been around for about 15 years, it's just moved from the opposite side of the Soi.

Some classic grumpy posts from the TV SAS Squadron. (Special Argument Squad).

I liked the bar. It would be a good place to meet before a night out or for a relaxing after work beer.

I'm not a fan of the 'english pub' style of bars that are further up Sukhumvit - so I liked the simple look of the TV bar.

But I agree it would be nice to have some unique features - such as personal beer mugs with your TV name so we can see who's 'on line'.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Have to say from the photos it looks like a very inviting place, which I was not, at first, inclined to visit. I'm not one for go-go's and beer bars anymore. I just like to chat and have a drink or three at a place that won't be infested with "buy me drink" pros. So maybe I will drop by one night I'm in BKK.

Familyonthemove wrote:

I'm not a fan of the 'english pub' style of bars that are further up Sukhumvit - so I liked the simple look of the TV bar.

Even better. I think that's why the photos appealed to me.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

Some classic grumpy posts from the TV SAS Squadron. (Special Argument Squad).

I liked the bar. It would be a good place to meet before a night out or for a relaxing after work beer.

But I agree it would be nice to have some unique features - such as personal beer mugs with your TV name so we can see who's 'on line'.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What a great idea....I want my own personalised beer condom....post a pic of it up here george and I'll be dropping by for a light refreshment of ten beers or so before dinner. smile.png

• Like 1

I'm not old enough or been here long enough to remember the Mexican Dwarfs on Sol 7 but harrry on post #117 kindly added their photo to the memory of how it used to be - what was it 30 to 35 years ago - sometime after the 1971 coup?

I'm not old enough or been here long enough to remember the Mexican Dwarfs on Sol 7 but harrry on post #117 kindly added their photo to the memory of how it used to be - what was it 30 to 35 years ago - sometime after the 1971 coup?

I actually posted it to point out that pavements were not always blocked like they are now. My guess is this would be about 1975 but it is not my photo. Thanks to whoever took it as it bought back memories for me of when I used to be able to walk in Bangkok.

Get rid of the pool tables.....paint one wall red...another yellow and have a boxing ring in the middle. Metisdead will be the ref.

Would definitely draw a crowd.

Me and Jingthing in a UFC contest ... now that would draw a crowd.

Dude ... are you up for it?

I would love to referee........thumbsup.gif

I can hear the crowd now ...

JTee

JTee

JTee

Yeah, arriving on a Baht bus

Good food , drinks selection, music and service in a pleasant environment will keep them coming back for more. Plenty, no in fact most, bars in lower Suk can't get that right.

As David alluded to there is a target group....we could only speculate as to what that might be at this point....but I'll be along soon to get my own idea.

Noice post.

BTW ... we are overdue for a drunk.gif

For those who have never met this man.

Take the time to do same ... he's the real deal ... wai.gif

Noel Edmonds?

Good food , drinks selection, music and service in a pleasant environment will keep them coming back for more. Plenty, no in fact most, bars in lower Suk can't get that right.

As David alluded to there is a target group....we could only speculate as to what that might be at this point....but I'll be along soon to get my own idea.

Noice post.

BTW ... we are overdue for a drunk.gif

For those who have never met this man.

Take the time to do same ... he's the real deal ... wai.gif

Noel Edmonds?

I wondered why Brian kept asking me if I was buying Mr Blobby a beer.......

• Like 2

Well done to Thai Visa. A nice new facility. When I return from Blighty I will definitely visit the place.

Would it be useful for Members to wear a simple stick-on badge in their Posting name ? Just a thought. Anyone.

Well done to Thai Visa. A nice new facility. When I return from Blighty I will definitely visit the place.

Would it be useful for Members to wear a simple stick-on badge in their Posting name ? Just a thought. Anyone.

No I want a beer condom with my name on it.

+1 or -1 as I am not sure if I really would want that (Imagine having a condom with your own name on it) :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

+1 or -1 as I am not sure if I really would want that (Imagine having a condom with your own name on it) biggrin.png

Especially as my real name is Francesco De Vallez Bordoleno el Vanderbilt....the third.

Thats a big condom..............giggle.gif

• Like 1

+1 or -1 as I am not sure if I really would want that (Imagine having a condom with your own name on it) :D

Especially as my real name is Francesco De Vallez Bordoleno el Vanderbilt....the third.

I doubt it would fit ;)

• Like 1

I was there and met some people. Had a good time too. No +1. No way. She was busy at home.

To all the moaners on this thread: It was announced during the night that it was supposed to be a place where TV members could meet. That's all.

Just come down and have a beer and chat with random TV members. That's it.

120 baht for a Heineken is a lot, but it is lower Suk. Plenty of other places that charge more, except the Golden Bar.

The beer girl from Surin (red dress) was stunning and got plenty of attention. Wow.

• Like 1

+1 or -1 as I am not sure if I really would want that (Imagine having a condom with your own name on it) biggrin.png

Better your name than someone else's. laugh.png

• Like 1

Better your name than someone else's. laugh.png

5555 But I doubt it that you would ever use that one :D