My Netgear N900 wireless router and 3BB in Pattaya

orangeguy72

I just move to pattaya and now I'm looking for a internet company. One of the guys that has a apartment close to me picked 3BB over True. I ran a test to see if I can get a proxy to work and it does just great. I'm looking to get NetFlix working thru a proxy. Now one questions is that I bought my Netgear N900 wireless router with me from america. In american it run from a cable modem box. 3BB tells me that they can only give me ADSL where I live. Will my netgear n900 with ADSL. One last question.. in pattaya is 3BB a better company then True ???

If I look here: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/WNDR4500.aspx#tab-techspecs

its just a router and doesn't have a Modem built in, so you would need to buy a separate ADSL2+ modem

Maybe another member can chip in ?

And for the question "in pattaya is 3BB a better company then True ???"

I live in Pattaya and I have 2 Providers namely 3BB and TOT if one doesn't work I use the other so it's completely up 2 u which provider you take as long as A- You're happy with them B- It works and C- they have coverage in your area

Edited by MJCM

MJCM,

It's just a wirless router. I have to pay for one full year to get 3BB to come out and connect me and I'm sure the same is with True. So,I'm trying to get this right from the start. I know 3BB will sell me a router with one Cat 5 connection for 600 baht,but is it a good one?? I need talk with someone at 3BB who knows their stuff,but cann't find that person yet.

I never bought a provider supplied modem always bought my own, just get a Adsl2+ compatible one, there are many around in many different price brackets

Ps: question. Are you getting adsl or Fibre as 3bb has both but the later isn't available everywhere around town yet

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Edited by MJCM

As MJCM stated, since the NetGear N900 is a WiFi AP/Router you will need to have your ISP provide the Modem/Gateway (or possibly purchase one yourself, depending on the type of service).

The port labeled "Internet Modem" is actually an Ethernet WAN PORT to connect to a Modem/Gateway.

There are TWO METHODS for connecting and configuring your NetGear N900 for connecting to a Modem/Gateway:

• The Modem/Gateway device can provide router functions while the NETGEAR router works as AP mode only to provide wireless access.
  • You can set up your NETGEAR router as the primary router as long as you configure the Modem/Gateway device to be in "bridge mode" or "modem only mode". This will allow you to use the router functions and features of your NETGEAR router.

While I understand you are not connecting to a Verizon FiOS or even an FTTx connection, the page describes the two methods for configuring optimal performance.

Q: Will my NETGEAR router work with Verizon FiOS?

techspecs-wndr4500-product-diagram.jpg

Edited by RichCor

yes,thats my next step. 3BB sell's their 4 port router for 1,200 baht. My mistake... their router/wireless is 1,200 for the one port and 1,500 for the wireless/5 port

In whole honesty, I wouldn't bother with any of them, just goto Tukcom or goto the Invadeit website and have your pick.

Good Luck

MJCM,

It's just a wirless router. I have to pay for one full year to get 3BB to come out and connect me and I'm sure the same is with True. So,I'm trying to get this right from the start. I know 3BB will sell me a router with one Cat 5 connection for 600 baht,but is it a good one?? I need talk with someone at 3BB who knows their stuff,but cann't find that person yet.

You have to pay for a year? Or do you mean you sign a 1-year contract and get billed monthly?

To get you up and running quickest, buy the single-port modem that comes standard with the 3BB installation. That way the installer will have you configured and online using the gear he knows. They don't generally like to mess about with stuff that isn't theirs. After it's all working, you can plug in the router you brought from the US and it should work as planned. Then later, you can shop around for your own ADSL modem and replace it at your leisure but make sure that you get all the setup info from the 3BB guy, like username, password and the modem settings so you can configure your new modem to connect.

This is what I did when I took on 3BB on the dark side of Pattaya last year. The system went down after a week and they asked I bring their modem in for testing at the shop. It tested good so they put in for a tech to call. Meanwhile, I asked the girl for a printout of the modem settings and she was happy to do that. Later that day, the 3BB techs were up the light pole in the village and service was restored. Then I replaced their single-port modem with my own TP-Link 4-port with wi-fi and after configuration, had the whole house connected. I keep the 3BB one as a spare. It's good enough.

Yeah if a foreigner signs up with 3bb they like them to pay for a year upfront, but you can get around that by using your Thai friend to sign up for you.