Red-shirt Sombat tells of his time in prison on Twitter

Lite Beer

Is this the same guy? First time I've heard him talk without including an awful Hollywood movie as part of his output

Catch me if you can

The hunger games salute

Maybe he's doing cool hand Luke and preparing to slip his guards (unlikely though Cool Hand Luke was a great movie)

If you want to hear his views in more detail, he appears on the documentary about Thai political history, "Paradoxocracy". He doesn't speak specifically about the red shirt movement & only a small part of the movie discusses Thaksin, but his views give a pretty good indication of why he decided joining them was the right way to go. Also the documentary should really be a must watch for anyone interested in Thai history. It's made by one of Thailand's best film-makers, Pen-Ek and features many of Thailand's most prominent academics and intellectual figures. Some of these might be considered "liberal" or red-leaning, with Thongchai, Charnvit, Sombat, Worajet etc featuring prominently, but there are also people who joined the other side too (e.g. PDRC leader Sombat Thamrongthanyawong & Thammasat's Parinya). It's quite well balanced in this respect & it's good to view this current crisis in historical context.

The documentary is on youtube but unfortunately only in Thai. If you're a downloader there's an English subbed version floating around out there though. Review here: http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/review-pachatipathai-paradoxocracy.html

Is this the same guy? First time I've heard him talk without including an awful Hollywood movie as part of his output

Catch me if you can

The hunger games salute

Maybe he's doing cool hand Luke and preparing to slip his guards (unlikely though Cool Hand Luke was a great movie)

If you want to hear his views in more detail, he appears on the documentary about Thai political history, "Paradoxocracy". He doesn't speak specifically about the red shirt movement & only a small part of the movie discusses Thaksin, but his views give a pretty good indication of why he decided joining them was the right way to go. Also the documentary should really be a must watch for anyone interested in Thai history. It's made by one of Thailand's best film-makers, Pen-Ek and features many of Thailand's most prominent academics and intellectual figures. Some of these might be considered "liberal" or red-leaning, with Thongchai, Charnvit, Sombat, Worajet etc featuring prominently, but there are also people who joined the other side too (e.g. PDRC leader Sombat Thamrongthanyawong & Thammasat's Parinya). It's quite well balanced in this respect & it's good to view this current crisis in historical context.

The documentary is on youtube but unfortunately only in Thai. If you're a downloader there's an English subbed version floating around out there though. Review here: http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/review-pachatipathai-paradoxocracy.html

I deleted my post (not quickly enough obviously) as I did see I was just being petty. The film references did get on my tits though.

If somebody becomes a member of an aggressive group he agrees to the group policy.

So when the leaders from the stage call for burning Bangkok everybody who does not leave this group shows their agreement and everybody who enters later agrees also.

Oh my. So as a member of Thai Visa you are a strong supporter of aggressive censorship without any recourse.

I definitely disagree with your dot-connection. I completely oppose some of Thai Visa's policies. I submit to them, however. That does not imply support, let alone give it.

• Like 1

Catch me if you can

The hunger games salute

I deleted my post (not quickly enough obviously) as I did see I was just being petty. The film references did get on my tits though.

I didn't see you'd deleted it before I posted (stopped to have a cup of coffee half way through writing my reply). Also another point of disagreement here because I think The Hunger Games films are a cut above most Hollywood produced blockbusters. But I see that you're a human and have your own views so I'm not going to hate you for this. Also I'm still listening to Hallowed Ground which I never would've bothered with without your recommendation, so you can't be all bad. lol.

Is he going to be jailed for life for his part in the 28 people including women and children that the red shirts murdered in cold blood?

Nope. And people with uncompromising hatred fuelled attitudes like yourself are more responsible for violence than those who have consistently called for peaceful solutions and reminded that people on the other side are human too.

Nope. And people with uncompromising hatred fuelled attitudes like yourself are more responsible for violence than those who have consistently called for peaceful solutions and reminded that people on the other side are human too.

Red rubbish !

Typical tactic, try to put the blame on someone else and make the redshirts look like the victims. Don't know who you are trying to fool but it won't work on me. I have personally witnessed how violent these lowlifes can be and I truly believe they should all be rounded up and charged for all their crimes.

Try telling the families of the people/children killed by the reds how "human" they are.

Perhaps yourself, Fab4 and a handful of other desperate red terrorist fans believe these lies spread about the poor reds, but nobody else does.

I have never been a red shirt supporter but your, and some other, posts here display a profound ignorance about the red shirts.

First they are not a single entity. For example the Nitipat group are painted red but AFAIK are not members of the UDD. They range from the ultra violent (Ko Tee, Kwanchai) to the totally peaceful and Sombat is one of the latter.

Seeing stupid posts about how violent Suthep and the 'mad' monk are, are met with equally stupid posts about how all red shirts are 'terrorists'.

It has been ironic that some of the least violent 'red' supporters have been the most outspoken in their opposition to the coup. I don't agree with them but I do admire peaceful protest.

To reiterate - Sombat is not a violent red shirt and is definitely not the type to cheer killing of innocent protestors or bystanders.

Edited by khunken
  • Like 2

Sorry khunken, but I have a very suspicious attitude about anyone associated with the color "red" in any way whatsoever.

Am yet to see or hear one good thing about this organization/s. ( And before you label me a yellow, think again, far from it. )

If Sombat is as squeaky clean as you say he is I cannot understand why he is involved with them. There are other ways to voice an opinion. The colors green, blue and purple were up for grabs.

And the ones who are outspoken in their opposition to the coup are the ones who were quite happy to see things rolling along the way they were, with a party of crims at the helm.

Until the redshirts/UDD end their violent ways and disassociate themselves entirely from the Shin regime I will voice my disapproval of them. I know of many Thai people who live in Chiang Mai who have no time for their red antics as well. Are you as unhappy with their opinion of them as well ?

I am married to a Thai lady and have three kids to raise, a house to build soon and hopefully a happy life to live in Thailand.

If I did not love this country as I do I could not care less what was happening there politically, but I do. thumbsup.gif

Sorry khunken, but I have a very suspicious attitude about anyone associated with the color "red" in any way whatsoever.

Am yet to see or hear one good thing about this organization/s. ( And before you label me a yellow, think again, far from it. )

If Sombat is as squeaky clean as you say he is I cannot understand why he is involved with them. There are other ways to voice an opinion. The colors green, blue and purple were up for grabs.

And the ones who are outspoken in their opposition to the coup are the ones who were quite happy to see things rolling along the way they were, with a party of crims at the helm.

Until the redshirts/UDD end their violent ways and disassociate themselves entirely from the Shin regime I will voice my disapproval of them. I know of many Thai people who live in Chiang Mai who have no time for their red antics as well. Are you as unhappy with their opinion of them as well ?

I am married to a Thai lady and have three kids to raise, a house to build soon and hopefully a happy life to live in Thailand.

If I did not love this country as I do I could not care less what was happening there politically, but I do. thumbsup.gif

Your last paragraph, iv'e been there done that and i worry about my children's future but i certainly wouldn't ''support'' one colour or the other,our contribution isn't wanted.The fanatical written support for either side of the divide on this forum is embarrassing, rather like an unwanted dog begging for attention from an uncaring owner.

If somebody becomes a member of an aggressive group he agrees to the group policy.

So when the leaders from the stage call for burning Bangkok everybody who does not leave this group shows their agreement and everybody who enters later agrees also.

Oh my. So as a member of Thai Visa you are a strong supporter of aggressive censorship without any recourse.

I definitely disagree with your dot-connection. I completely oppose some of Thai Visa's policies. I submit to them, however. That does not imply support, let alone give it.

There is a big difference of being a member of ThaiVisa or being a member of a violent group that is working in favour of a convicted crim.

For what reason should anyone be a member of the "UDD" if they don't support them

• Like 1

He looks healthier...

Did he get a free haircut in jail?!?

Judging by the set position of his mouth, dunno about a haircut but I can guess what he was doing for some of the time in prison. Maybe that's why he's made yellow friends.... bah.gif

He was most likely voted for the soap picking up duties during wash up time.

• Like 1

So; 'The Popcorn Gunman' is just an 'ordinary man'. Well; i'm sure this ordinary man has been informed there is a job waiting for him with better than average pay when he gets out. Nothing like doing a bit of recruitment while you're in the slammer eh !

He also stated that none of them are criminals. Petty words from a deluded individual.

He looks healthier...

Did he get a free haircut in jail?!?

Judging by the set position of his mouth, dunno about a haircut but I can guess what he was doing for some of the time in prison. Maybe that's why he's made yellow friends.... bah.gif

He was most likely voted for the soap picking up duties during wash up time.

In these enlightened days where anything goes it is sometimes refreshing to think back to more innocent days

Jonathan Jo

has a mouth like an O

And a wheelbarrow full of surprises

If you ask for a bat

Or something like that

He has got it whatever the size is

• 3 months later...

so he reckons that the reds are totally against drugs and have been trying to stop them, strange then that all the big drug busts seem to happen in the northern areas which is red country, maybe he hasnt told all the other reds yet or they refuse to give up all the money they make off them......

Some of the bitterness here with farangs is amazing and how do you expect Thais to reconcile their differences ??

Nelson Mandella was a hoot too after he was released from Jail for being a terrorist !! I don't care about Aperheid and the Regime he fought against,in my book and many others who fought terrorism and still are all across the globe, he was and ways will be known as a terrorist, the fact he went on to become the leader is another chapter, so spare me the claptrap you cannot call him anything less than what he was imprisoned for if you cannot see Sombat as anything less than a murdering red scum then I hope you feel the same about NM, Gerry Adams and Martin MaGinnes.

People change when incarcerate, if Mandela was for to be given the chance to redeem himself and make the country a better place, why can't any of the current political detainees in Thaialnd not be given the Same opportunity?