Egypt leader wishes Al Jazeera journalists were not tried

webfact

Egypt leader wishes journalists were not tried

CAIRO - Egypt's president acknowledged for the first time that the heavy sentences handed down to three Al-Jazeera journalists had a "very negative" impact on his country's reputation, saying he wished they were never put on trial.

The comments by Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi to editors of Egyptian media outlets were published late Sunday.

They were the first public recognition by Egyptian officials that the case had been damaging to the country's relations with the international community.

The sentencing of the three journalists on June 23, after a five-month trial described as a "sham" by rights groups, caused an international outcry.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called the sentences "chilling and draconian," and urged Egyptian authorities to address international concerns.

Full story: http://www.enca.com/egypt-leader-wishes-journalists-weren%E2%80%99t-tried

-- eNCA 2014-07-07

A big downside of having radicals governing a country.....foreigners are not wanted in these places....and indeed should boycot and refuse to go there....

Egypt was once a great country with amazing history....now it's just a sh...hole....similar to several other middle eastern countries.

So much for the arab "spring"!!

• Like 1

Grammar: "had not been tried", not "were not tried", "had never been put on trial", not "were never put on trial". Why is it that native English speakers don't use the past perfect tense when they should do these days. I have noted that it started with the Americans, who are a bit shaky on tenses anyway, (e.g. "Did you eat yet?" instead of "Have you eaten?") but why do Brits and others do the same these days? It's nonsensical, making false statements and confusing the message, so why do it? Addled brains?

(Note: This report comes from E News Channel Africa, but is well written otherwise, apparently by a native speaker).

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Grammar: "had not been tried", not "were not tried", "had never been put on trial", not "were never put on trial". Why is it that native English speakers don't use the past perfect tense when they should do these days. I have noted that it started with the Americans, who are a bit shaky on tenses anyway, (e.g. "Did you eat yet?" instead of "Have you eaten?") but why do Brits and others do the same these days? It's nonsensical, making false statements and confusing the message, so why do it? Addled brains?

(Note: This report comes from E News Channel Africa, but is well written otherwise, apparently by a native speaker).

Many journalistic pieces and the majority of copy in advertising does not conform to normal rules of grammar.

Seriously, if that is all you have to complain about the life must be sweet.

"A life you ought really to get" Yoda 1979

The journalists need to appeal and then the President can ensure clemency is given. Get them out of jail, they should never be in there.

But the president has already said that he will not interfere with any Judicial convictions. It would be a waste of time appealing to him. bah.gif

Probably because no one is taught English Grammar in schools these days. The majority do not even know how to spell.

So relax.

As they now say.............It ain't gonna change. rolleyes.gif

Edited by oldsailor35

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Actually, Native Americans don't speak english as their native language but as a second language.. As for the rest of the country that consists of 30% foreign native language speakers, com munications is difficult enough without belaboring in the abyss of english language structure.

If Internet communications could transport smell, this message from Sissi would smell like a cattle ranch.

It takes only one phone call: 'get them out of there and drive them to the airport.'

Parlimentary/judicial procedure my arse, this is a strong-man gov't. The only thing different from Mubarak's regime is the boss's face.

Nothing short of a complete boycott, and an absolute blacklist of Egypt as a tourist destination will suffice to get rid of this vermin mentality. Judges like this should be dragged thought the streets, and punished. This kind of behavior is completely unacceptable. The president should declare clemency immediately. If the foreign community decides they really do not need to see those dusty pyramids that badly, and do not patronize the country, they will be deprived of a huge source of income. Too bad a lot of people would have to suffer, but they have gone too far.

And consider this another form of American hubris, when it comes to foreign policy. Not saying I was a fan of the Mubarak the swine, but pushing democracy on a country that is not ready for it, is the specialty of the US of A. Misguided, ignorant, and clueless when it comes to foreign policy. And just for the record, I am American. And I am not on any level proud of my government. Nothing but $35 street whores.

And consider this another form of American hubris, when it comes to foreign policy.

Huh? This ruling has nothing to do with America, or American hubris or "pushing democracy on a country that is not ready for it". Their is a military government in power and they are much more responsible for the court's decision than any outside powers.

Yes, but I doubt something like this ever happened under Mubarak. He was too smart for that. Not like the current batch of gorillas running the country, and manning the court system.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, but I doubt something like this ever happened under Mubarak. He was too smart for that. Not like the current batch of gorillas running the country, and manning the court system.

Spidermike

There were journalists and other media people arrested, detained, harassed and whatnot under Mubarak's long reign. Perhaps sentences handed out weren't always that long (although some were). Human Rights Watch and Reporters Without Borders both got extensive archives detailing cases.

The "current batch of gorillas" are basically the next-generation of Mubarak's junta. And so far el-Sisi actually seems like a pretty smart, if ruthless, cookie. Same goes for the judiciary, mostly the same.

Spidermike

There were journalists and other media people arrested, detained, harassed and whatnot under Mubarak's long reign.

Perhaps sentences handed out weren't always that long (although some were). Human Rights Watch and Reporters

Without Borders both got extensive archives detailing cases.

The "current batch of gorillas" are basically the next-generation of Mubarak's junta. And so far el-Sisi actually seems

like a pretty smart, if ruthless, cookie. Same goes for the judiciary, mostly the same.

Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected.

Spidermike007