Electrician

angelsephemera

"2 hour job" - good luck. We called almost every electrician ever recommended in this forum over a 5 year period of time. They always ask how big a job you have. We would always say a 1/2 day or thereabouts. 90% of them either said they were too busy or the ones that asked for our address, never even showed up when they said they would. Nobody wants a small job. We did get one company to show up that a friend recommended. They gave an estimate of 6K Baht to do some very simple stuff. I ended up doing everything myself for about 1,000 Baht in parts and I'm sure I did a better job than any of the "pros" would have done.

The standard of work varies so much. Over the 12 months when I got the landlady to bring in electricians, only one did a neat, professional job.

The others did work that would look out of place in a weekend holiday shack. Junction box? No way. Twisted wire and insulation tape, and leave it all sticking out. OMG!

Do they have apprenticeships and trade certificates in this country?

Yeah all the electricians are certified and carry a class 1 Journeyman's license..... can't you tell by looking at all the power lines throughout the city?

"2 hour job" - good luck. We called almost every electrician ever recommended in this forum over a 5 year period of time. They always ask how big a job you have. We would always say a 1/2 day or thereabouts. 90% of them either said they were too busy or the ones that asked for our address, never even showed up when they said they would. Nobody wants a small job. We did get one company to show up that a friend recommended. They gave an estimate of 6K Baht to do some very simple stuff. I ended up doing everything myself for about 1,000 Baht in parts and I'm sure I did a better job than any of the "pros" would have done.

The standard of work varies so much. Over the 12 months when I got the landlady to bring in electricians, only one did a neat, professional job.

The others did work that would look out of place in a weekend holiday shack. Junction box? No way. Twisted wire and insulation tape, and leave it all sticking out. OMG!

Do they have apprenticeships and trade certificates in this country?

Yeah all the electricians are certified and carry a class 1 Journeyman's license..... can't you tell by looking at all the power lines throughout the city?

oh, those cables with the pigs stuck in them trying to fly through....

• 4 months later...

I need a qualified/recommended electrician for 3-6 days of work at my house, when I come back form the U.S. To have a leaning wall torn down and properly re-built. I am bringing over 3 Stiebel shower heaters and one Steibel water heater for under my kitchen sink and want them safely installed and grounded. I also need the previous electrician work's checked. I have lights downstairs that are pointed to either paintings or carvings that last a day when a new bulb is screwed in before blowing. The same for some of the wiring on two of my patio lights. And I will need him there when the wall is gone to run electricity wires to the lights near the gate and, if he can do it, run PVC pipe to 2 sections of grounds (near wall) that I would like to have hooked up to the underground sprinkler that is already there. It should be enough work to interest most Thais. I should be there by the middle of April. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Khun Chai 089 835 7848 just finished tracking down an electrical fault in my kitchen. He came out promptly at lunchtime on a Sunday. English was pretty good, His son came too and they spent 2 hours checking everything and fixing the fault. Very pleasant to deal with. all up came to 1,200 Bt. I consider that very reasonable, all things considered.