New Security restrictions for travelers to certain countries

WARNING ...... this is new information for travelers to:

• The U.S.A
  • The U.K.
  • European countries

According to a report on CNN travel news a new procedure is being started "soon if not immediately" for travelers to these destinations.

Other destinations may be included as the situation develops also.

There will be a requirement that ALL carry on electronic devices must be turned on and shown to be working BEFORE you are allowed to carry them on the airplane,

This includes such devices such as IPADS, CELPHONES, and KINDLES ...... whether or not they emit RF radiation.

This new procedure will be separate from other existing security checks.

WARNING ..... under the new rules, if a electronic device of any kind is not charged up and therefore will not turn on, it MAY be banned from being carried on the plane.

At present, this is a brand new security rule, and exactly how it will be implemented is uncertain.

BUT all travelers should be aware of the possibility that this rule may be started any time.

AGAIN, all electronic devices of any kind May need to be turned on and shown to operate.... the excuse, "Sorry, it's not charged up" may no longer be acceptable.

CNN said is that their information was that this rule is already being implemented in Heathrow for certain flights.

Passengers should be sure that ALL electronic devices they carry are charged and will operate if requested by security before they attempt to board the plane.

Starting NOW.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

My travel iron could present a problem if supply isn't available.............................sad.png

And even if it is, its not proving that it works, but cooling the thing down again.

Thanks for the warning.

Have read something similar a few days ago, but I got the impression that it was only for flights to and from the USA.

Any reliable sources ?

Yermanee wai.gif

----------------------------------

whistling.gif

Reading the CNN news article now on the internet.

This is being ordered by the DHS in the U.S. (Department of Homeland Security) who as a U.S. organization has the authority to only order it in the U.S. or on U.S. inbound flights.

However, the same report says other nations are considering the same measures ..... and I bet it will be not long before other countries adopt it.

Remember Richard Reid, the Shoe bomber, and taking off your shoes from that incident?

I personally expect that this will go around the world in the same way as "removing your shoes" thing did.

But, yes, to be fair it is ONLY for flights to the U.S. right now.

But also did you see that ISIS video of the 2 Jihadists from the U.K.?

They spoke openly that their dream was to return to the U.K. as a martyr with a bomb to kill "infidels" by killing themselves. And they are U.K. nationals with U.K. passports.

That's what this security requirement is based on.

of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think I will be on this.

I worked at Heathrow until recently and security can and do ask staff to turn on phones etc,to prove they work. No surprise

Sent from my ZTE V769M using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These solutions to security scares are so awesomely knee-jerk and inappropriate. So every electronic gadget that is assumed to be a potential bomb must have a battery in it? How about those that travel with external hard drives and other computer peripherals and accessories that do not have batteries? They are assumed to be free from tampering and having explosives inside because they can't be 'turned on' or need external power? Was the Pan-Am Lockerbie bomb inside something with a battery that could be turned on?

I would have thought that pretty much every airport has the latest technology baggage scanners, checked or hand-carry, that show up all known explosives. Or maybe all those high-tech and expensive scanners are just another federally mandated boondoggle that doesn't really so squat to improve security.

It's like the inane carry-on liquids restrictions dreamed up by UK security based on the 'credible threat' that really never was... but let's leave it in place now as we have given the bombers an idea.

Funnily enough, I was flying out of Heathrow with an old laptop that had a totally duff battery about 14 years ago when they had a similar scare-mongering rule about turning stuff on. I thought I was scuppered but I did manage to get a quick flash of the BIOS boot screen before it expired and the security chap was satisfied.