Thai Facebook users suggest death penalty in cases of rape and murder

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if it would make a difference but what about showing what you get if you do this (might be graphic but...) instead of the old re-enactment and finger pointing - not just for these types of crimes either which don't appear to be much of a deterant.

• Like 1

I guess it is actually about enforcing/executing the death penalty.

To my knowledge the death penalty has not been abolished and can still be handed out.

"Only" that there has been no execution for a long time.

But a reasonable number of inmates on death row.

In such a case it is hard to argue against.

I am against death penalty.

Nobody has the right to take another humans life.

But, in cases like that I would be happy to see this scum going to prison for the rest of his life.

Especially to a Thai prison.

I agree, but only after Castration !

I am against death penalty.

Nobody has the right to take another humans life.

But, in cases like that I would be happy to see this scum going to prison for the rest of his life.

Especially to a Thai prison.

I agree, but only after Castration !

Don't worry, he will loose his appetite for sex, after a week or 2, being in prison.

• Like 1

Is having the death penalty about deterrent and prevention or about public outrage and need for revenge?

Not as if a likely perpetrator goes "oh well, lifetime imprisonment, yeah...that's worth it". Doubt if they consider

the difference between potential punishments.

Another point, mistakes and biases are inherent in any legal system. Thailand's legal and law enforcement

reputations are less than stellar, to put it mildly. Not sure that trusting them with such judgements is quite

as reasonable as the wise Facebook users suggest.

Exactly. Whilst open to human error or worse, a process which results in state sanctioned killing must always be avoided if at all possible. People can die whilst not being guilty. I know of at least one case where 3 guys were put to death in Thailand for a deed which available evidence suggests they did not commit.

• Like 1

Is having the death penalty about deterrent and prevention or about public outrage and need for revenge?

Not as if a likely perpetrator goes "oh well, lifetime imprisonment, yeah...that's worth it". Doubt if they consider

Another point, mistakes and biases are inherent in any legal system. Thailand's legal and law enforcement

reputations are less than stellar, to put it mildly. Not sure that trusting them with such judgements is quite

No its about putting down a rabid dog!

• Like 2

I guess it is actually about enforcing/executing the death penalty.

To my knowledge the death penalty has not been abolished and can still be handed out.

"Only" that there has been no execution for a long time.

But a reasonable number of inmates on death row.

In such a case it is hard to argue against.

Everybody his own opinion.

And I respect it.

But I am totally against the death penalty for all crimes.

Millions of good people die every year because they have no donor in time to save them.

Lots of good people can have a better life if they would find a donor in time.

The modern transplantation techniques can replace all body parts which are not or badly functioning on some people (eyes, ears, limbs, etc.)

Why kill these people when they can serve very well for other, more noble purposes?

Every person has 2 kidneys.

Many people die every year because a kidney donor is not found in time.

Let's take 1 kidney of these offenders and give it to someone who is dying.

Let's take 1 eye of these offenders and give it to someone who is blind..

And if it comes out that the offender was innocent, he can be released and continue the rest of his life if fairly good condition.

Would you prefer to kill such a person if your child would die because there is no donor to replace his ailing heart/kidney/etc.?

I would prefer to let him/her be sentenced to donate his organs for the community and save several other people.

• Like 1

And if authorities get the wrong dog?

“RAPE” should be a capital offence and should carry the death sentence or castration whether committed by adults or by the adolescence in schools or universities on females or males. “RAPE” scars the victim for life. An adolescence rapist should be castrated to prevent a recurrence of this unforgivable crime, an adult rapist, if found guilty, deserves no mercy.

Unfortunately due to the inability of our past administration to curb violence and to implement the law on the masses we live amongst a sick and undisciplined society with little or no morals. However with our new administration one can clearly see a change in the system, just look at abrupt change in the attitudes of our public personnel, as well as law enforcement, the speed at which problems are sorted out, and perpetrators are apprehended is almost unbelievable.

• Like 1

What do they think should happen when those executed turn out to have been innocent?

in this case the members of the court will be executed,of course

but i found amazing that a police chief wishes someone to be tortured to death in thailand,and nobody apparently gives a shit

Edited by kaobang

Such cases are very emotive. It is easy to be angry and call for the most inhumane of recourses (otherwise known as revenge). The simple fact is that the death penalty dos not work as a deterrent (USA has the highest per capita prison population in the world - and the death sentence) - so its use is only either revenge or economics (putting the price of incarceration against the life of a perpetrator). It is sad when someone spends ten years in jail only to be cleared on new evidence years later - cannot do that when they are dead.

People that murder in cold blood and rape, especially with respect to kids, cannot be trusted on the streets. Prison is also not a great place for them. A secure mental hospital with chemical castration and violence suppression, is a better place for such people - just as secure as a class A prison (even as a super-max) is possible. Life time sentence, but able to lead some kind of life, without the danger to society.

And if authorities get the wrong dog?

same applies for life imprisonment, no?

Personally, anything over a decade in a Thai prison and the death penalty would seem like a result.

Edited by JeremyBowskill

When there is scientific evidence to prove that the person charged with the crime " is guilty " of the crime ( as with DNA evidence in rape and murder cases ) then the death penalty is appropriate IMO. Let's flip the coin ; " why keep them alive? "